Sportsmith 1000 banner
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long do your spin classes last?

1. Default How long do your spin classes last?

I have been a cycling instructor for four years. I was given a one hour time slot to teach my class, so with warm up and cool down, I usually go around 55 minutes. Another instructor at the same facility has classes that last 45 minutes. The head of the department has asked us to come up with a consistent length for our classes. The members want 55 minutes. How long do most spin classes usually last? Are there advantages to classes being a certain length? I figure if the members want a longer class, and I'm given the time frame, I'm going to take advantage of it. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kteach View Post
    I have been a cycling instructor for four years. I was given a one hour time slot to teach my class, so with warm up and cool down, I usually go around 55 minutes. Another instructor at the same facility has classes that last 45 minutes. The head of the department has asked us to come up with a consistent length for our classes. The members want 55 minutes. How long do most spin classes usually last? Are there advantages to classes being a certain length? I figure if the members want a longer class, and I'm given the time frame, I'm going to take advantage of it. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated! Thanks!
    I think of class times as very general -
    Early morning classes: 45 minutes - get 'em in, work 'em, get 'em out. Fast!
    Lunch hour classes: 30-40 minutes - as above, but faster.
    Evening classes, day, weekend - anywhere from 45 minutes up to 90 minutes.

A lot depends on the purpose, wants and desires of the participants. I taught a 60 minute class (my preference, my regulars preference) in the evening that was preceded by a 40 minute class and then followed by a 45 minute class. All three were popular with participants. The combinations were required to fit the flow of other classes in the facility and to accommodate the downtown work crowd as they left their cubicles to head home.

I like 60 minute classes. Of course, I am somewhat long time in saddle rider (my short Saturday rides outside in the rain and cold only last 3 hours, summer, longer).

A 60 minute class means I can do a nice long warm-up to prepare them for the work-out. Or I can provide a variety of mini-workouts. The masters swim coaches I am swimming with do a 40 minute warm-up/build to the main set of 15 minutes work, for a 60 minute session - so that concept is also an option.

60 minutes is a long time for new participants. They may need to take it easy(easier) for part of the class, or even leave early. Everyone gets permission to do what they need to do for themselves.

So - class length really depends on the crowd and the purpose. For a class geared towards new riders, 30 minutes of ride time, 10 minutes of set-up time might be great. For experienced riders, 90 minutes may be what they are looking for - provided they have the time in their schedule.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

The "official" class length is usually determined by the gym.

When I first started teaching on LI, I worked for NYSC and our classes were the 45 minute and our group finess director wanted us to pretty much stick to the time even though we had a dedicated cycle studio because members being members, if one or two instructors started teaching an hour class then there'd be complaints along the lines of "how come so-and-so teaches "X" ..... and they didn't always want the longer class either.

I've taught an hour class pretty much everywhere since and I tend to teach so that bike clean up etc is done at around the 55-58 minute mark so that anyone who wants to leave within the hour can do so without missing any of the ride.

Vivienne

P.S.....just re-read your post and I'm wondering if I've gotten it wrong. Are you being offered a choice of one class time for all rather than the gym offering multiple length classes.....or the gym offers one class length with rogue instructors doing their own thing?
    Last edited by Vivienne; 08-02-2012 at 05:24 AM.

4. Default

Thanks for your response. I will definitely put more thought into how I approach beginners in my 55 minute classes.

5. Default

Vivienne-Kind of...one of the instructors has suddenly changed his classes to 45 minutes and has been getting complaints, so we are being asked to be consistent. We are all given an hour time slot. 3 other instructors as well as members want the full hour. He's just trying to be difficult. Thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by kteach View Post
    Thanks for your response. I will definitely put more thought into how I approach beginners in my 55 minute classes.
    I encourage them to set up a bike pretty close to the door. They'll usually want a bike at the back of class......furthest away from the door.....until I explain that, if their experience is anything like mine was in my first couple of classes, it's possible that they'll feel like leaving a bit early and they won't want to feel like one of those folk who annoy everyone by stumbling out of the middle of the row at a concert or the movies or something. It's amazing how folk can make it to the end of class if they're given permission to just do the minimum it takes to get to the end or leave early of they can't.

Vivienne

7. Default

Most classes here are 1 hour. With the exception of my 5:30 am class, my students want to ride for 55 minutes, get off the bike and leave. My warm-ups are usually 6-7 minutes. If I end early they get upset. It is difficult to get them to cool down and stretch but I do my best. I always give my beginners permission to start with 30 minutes and work their way up or to back off from the ride if they are too winded.

I teach 1 hr. at one gym & 55 mins. at the other. Like the others said it is what the gym tells me to teach. I like the 1 hr.
    The other class has to be totally done at 55 mins. as another class starts on the hr. so you can not go over.

9. Default 45 minutes to 1 hour

My class on Monday night is 45-50 minutes because a Zumba class starts immediately after and we have to move the bikes out. On Saturdays I go longer because there is no class after mine so it is almost always 60 minutes start to finish.

001cy2-300x300
    Doesn't Madd Dogg promote 40 minute classes in training?