A fan that blows some cool air over your overheated body would be greatly helpful when you are passionately cycling in your garage. One of the best options for that is a headwind fan. In this article, we will be going over what a headwind fan actually is, how it functions, and some top picks for you along with their pros and cons, so keep on reading.
A headwind fan is a smart fan, which adjusts its output based on a couple of factors chosen by the user. Cyclists can either adjust the headwind fan speed manually, pairing it with their turbo trainer, or simply by pairing it with their heart rate monitor. A headwind fan is capable of doing a lot more; it all depends on its built-in features.
Top 3 Headwind Fans
Here we have taken some work off of your plate and hand-picked three of the very best headwind fans. Have a glance at their compelling features, pros, and cons, and if you think any one of these could satisfy your needs, then invest in one.
KICKR headwind has a powerful airflow. Wahoo KICKR headwind fan has a targeted airflow pattern, which is designed to mirror the shape and position of the cyclist’s body. So if you spent hours in your garage or in your room working out on your cycle, then this KICKR headwind fan can make the entire process much easier for you.
One of the best features of this product is that it comes with sensor-based fan speed control. The speed of the fan will increase in case your heartbeat or cycling speed increases. To have the fan speed at your fingertips, you should download the Wahoo app so that you can control the speed via Bluetooth. All you have to do is to press the button and choose among four different fan speed settings.
Moreover, if you already have the KICKR desk, this headwind fan can easily fit into the desk so that you can easily roll it where you want it to. Other than these extraordinary features, this headwind fan comes with two adjustable legs, and it only weighs 12 pounds.
So the next time you are cycling, you should place this in front of you so that you don’t have to worry about sweat and focus on your routine and getting fit.
- Good focused airflow
- Neat and beautifully designed
- HR control flows well
- Some might find it noisy when it is working
- Not adjustable enough
- A bit expensive
- POWERFUL AIRFLOW - With wind speeds topping out at over 30 mph the KICKR HEADWIND will keep you cool during your hardest efforts.
- TARGETED AIRFLOW PATTERN - Designed to mirror the shape and position of a cyclist's body while riding on a bicycle.
- SENSOR BASED FAN SPEED CONTROL - Control the speed of your KICKR HEADWIND by pairing your ANT+ speed sensor, heart rate monitor, or smart trainer directly to the fan. As your speed or heart rate increases so will the fan speed …
Lasko U12104 High-Velocity Pro Pivoting Utility Fan
If you are looking for something that can help you beat the heat, whether it is during your cycling routines, exercising, or playing live shows, the Lasko fan is the perfect fit for you. It comes with a pivoting blower head, which directs the wind in any specific direction you want it to.
The Lasko velocity ventilating exhausting fan is powered by three different fan speeds, which generates approximately 305 CFMs. The best thing about this fan is that you don’t have to assemble it yourself, which makes it very easy to use. Its manual settings give you more power to control it. It also comes with built-in twin 120V accessory outlets on the side to seamlessly power additional devices.
This headwind fan is only 12.3 inches tall, which means it is a real space-saver. If you want to dry a small space, you can easily place it there to get the job done. It comes with a ten-feet-long power cord and a large easy-grip handle so that you can easily place it wherever you want.
Lasko has been in the business for quite a while now, and it makes products that are reliable and very easy to use. Their headwind fans are very easy to use as they come with patented Blue Plug safety fuse technology.
- Can be used for multiple purposes
- Motor operates quietly
- Comes with a plug-on on the side
- Reliable and durable product
- Not suitable to dry large floor
- ✅【HIGH VELOCITY AIR STREAM】Powered by 3 fan speeds, this pivoting air mover generates maximum air delivery of approximately 289 CFMs and is best for cooling the hottest spaces in the house, circulating and exhausting stuffy air, and drying out wet carpeting and floors
- ✅【FUNCTIONAL DESIGN】With it's rugged construction, this pivoting blower fan is Ideal for kitchens, garages, workshops, basements, and more; the lightweight design (7.5 lbs.) and large carry handle make it easy to move this fan from room to room …
Kreitler Killer Add-On Headwind Fan
Kreitler Killer Add-On headwind fan is quite reliable and durable. This fan is designed to offer maximum resistance whenever it is desired. When it is close, the resistance is very minimal. On the other hand, when it is open, the resistance is high, even for the strongest riders.
In addition to this, you can easily attach this headwind fan to the front of the frame and change the direction of the frame as you see fit. Though it is a bit noisy, it adds on to the resistance. So, if you want more manual control over your headwind fan, then go with this option.
- Comes with additional rollers
- Provides smooth, enjoyable experience
- A massive increase in resistance
- The belt is easy to remove
- Less wind comes from the blower
- A bit heavy on the pocket
- Might be a bit noisy for some users
- Difficult to roll up the rollers
- 100-Percent Made in the USA
- The main function is to add resistance; An adjustable air inlet controls the amount of resistance desired; When closed, the additional resistance is minimal; Wide open, the resistance is high enough for even the strongest riders
- The second function is to provide a cooling breeze; The Fan unit can be rotated to point the airflow high or low, and adjustable louvers can fine tune the side-to-side direction …
What is the Function of a Headwind Fan?
Headwind fans are designed by keeping the need of cyclists in mind. The main function of a headwind fan is to mirror the shape and position of a cyclist to reach the ultimate efficiency.
Other than this, you can use a headwind fan in numerous ways. If you recently moved into your house and you want to dry the paint on your walls quickly, a headwind fan can help you with that. Or even if you need to dry a small space that is out of reach of your already-installed ceiling fan, a small headwind fan can easily fit in tiny spaces and get the job done.
Other than this, if you have a small rug that needs drying or a room with high moisture, a headwind fan can solve all your problems. Lastly, we think we have emphasized enough on how a headwind fan can be your workout buddy by helping you cycle more easily.
Once you start looking for headwind fans online or in stores, you will realize they come in a huge variety. To get the one that functions the way you want it to, you have to understand the CFM measurement that is usually printed on the box. CFM stands for Cubic Feet per minute; it measures the volume of airflow that comes out of this fan over time. For athletes who cycle indoors, the speed is more important than the volume. The higher the number of CFM, the higher will be the speed.
Moreover, some headwind fans come with blades, and some don’t. If you want to place a headwind fan in your home, then you should get one without blades as it is a safer option. Most of the headwind fans work perfectly without any power cord, as they have Bluetooth connectivity.
The overall structure and features of headwind fans might differ a bit, but their function is the same: to blow air in the desired direction.
Whether you are looking for a headwind fan because you don’t want to drown in your sweat while cycling, need to get the moisture out from your house, or just want to dry a carpet, headwind fans can easily get the job done. The best way to find the perfect pick is to know your expectations from the fan, as this will help you choose the one that offers the perfect features.
Don’t expect the fans to be deadly silent. If the noise is too much for you, you could grab a pair of headphones or earphones and enjoy a podcast or listen to some audio. Go over the pros and cons before making the final pick and make your workout routine simple by investing in a headwind fan.