Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparing Indoor Cycles

1. Default Comparing Indoor Cycles

My question is what do the professionals out there think about the cycleops 300 pro vs the Keiser M3? Why buy one over the other? I have been researching indoor cycles and boiled it down to them. Mainly because I want to be able to incorporate power into my training. Any thoughts on the bikes pertaining to quality (maintenance), technology and performance is appreciated.

2. Default

I use both. Great power bikes. For me, Keiser M3's frame is much more forgiving than Cycleops'. I'm pretty short and we have a few other people who are under 5'3". All of us have the same issue. We end up low and reaching too far out, this strains our lower back. I do love using the Keiser M3 though. Never a problem using those.
    Last edited by spinstrong; 08-07-2010 at 06:55 PM.

3. Default

I have a Cyclops 300. I love it. It feels to me like I'm riding a road bike.

Have never ridden a Keiser, though, so can't do a meaningful comparison for you.

Wow. I just realized I probably didn't help you out at all.

Eagle, Colorado in the Rocky Mountains

My problem with the Keiser M3s is that the set-up is very challenging. The engineering of the set-up is so non-cycling one has to wonder if the engineers rode bikes. Here's the issue: say you have neck or shoulder issues, or even low back. Or you are a newer rider with a short trunk and/or arms and aren't used to having low handlebars. In order to bring the handlebars closer to you, you have to lower them which aggravates those neck issues and is counter to the desired solution - I want them higher and closer! The solution would be to have fore/aft adjustment with the handlebars. It is a huge problem with several of my students - we cannot find a happy medium for them. If you are shorter and just happen to be able to find your sweet spot (like Spinstrong) then you are lucky.

The good news is that apparently Keiser has heard the complaints and has plans to work on that.

I've only ridden the CycleOps once and loved how it felt. Cycling coaches have told me they much prefer the setup. But I cannot say 1st hand.

Southwestern Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA

I have not ridden Keiser but I love my CycleOps. So much that I've got one in my basement. And my wife (who was against me buying it from the beginning) now rides it more than I do.

6. Default Decisions???

I want to thank you all for the insight. I decided on the Keiser for two reasons; cost (approx. $900 less) and technology. I am hoping that the Keiser will require less maintenance based on how it operates using the Eddy current (magnetism) to operate.

7. Default

At our gym, they have new Keiser M3s and they are really nice.

Heard from maintenance guys that they are easy to maintain.

And just like Jennifer mentioned, the handlebar angle that makes them go further away when higher is kind of unfortunate. Some members are forced to bring their backs in a bit of an uncomfortable position.

Default plus one...

I agree with Jen on the fundamental weirdness of the geometry but have this to add. I have 7 classes total weekly at two facilities on Keiser M3s. A cumulative total of about 160 bums per week @approx 25 per class. Of those over about a year not a single one has actually had an ongoing problem with back soreness vs set up. There have been a few doubtful looks but usually they get all excited by the data and forget about the intrinsic limitations around set up.

And yes easy to maintain but we now have a fairly wide natural variation in how the bikes report power. There is a wealth of insider knowledge at each class as to which bikes are "easy" - reporting you have God legs and which are "hard", suggesting you are on the bludge when you feel like you're caning it.

It appears the our maintenance crew don't have the facility, knowledge or care factor enough to calibrate the fleet and get some interbike reliability. Intrabike reliability is pretty good - so there are people who arrive early to get the bike they want.

And watch out for Keiser burn. The flywheel is open and if you are teaching off the bike, don't lean on it with your leg. Meat burn.

Cheers, Shayne

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cafehead View Post
    Meat burn.

Mmm... makes me think of zombies.
    Star 2 Spinning Instructor

Adirondack Mts, New York

Default CycleOps or Keiser

OK, Which ones better?

Well, I think I'm going with the Cycleops Pro 200. It has the Joule 3.0 Computer.
    I'm not a professional so I guess I don't need the Power Tap.
    The computer will give me the data I need, I guess.

What does everyone think?

Also the Pro 400 you have to plug into the wall to power up the resistance.
    What's that all about?
    Also when you increase or decrease the resistance with the JoyStick, on the 400.
    I here it makes a grinding sound down by the pedals? Gots me.
    Can anyone add anything else?
    Last edited by DoubleNickel; 09-08-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Updated Info

Default Power for all

sorry for the late reply, maybe it is not too late. I would go with the cheapest cyclops WITH powertap( I think it is the PT300?). If you can get a Club model, it has a twist knob on the top tube just like traditional spin bikes.

The pro's are the people who need power the least. They have a very good handle on the "feel" and how to reach different intensities. It is the IDC'rs who have limited riding experience where power measurment is invaluable. After some initial testing and power zone calculations, everyone can now ride at any prescribed intensity with very close accuracy. Not too much, not too little, no more guessing at what it should "feel" like.

Of course Pro's can also greatly benefit from power training, but not nearly as much as everbody else.

We have keiser M3's and I am launching a 8 week power program in Oct. It is a fee based, and yes I am nervous as Hell to the reliablity of the Keiser bikes in regards to pre and post testing. But with regular calibration, and keeping people on the same bike each week, I hope to have great results.

For yourself go with a cycleops that actually does measure true power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast