Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keiser M3 distance?

1. Default Keiser M3 distance?

I have a member in my Monday class last week and today asked me if distance displayed on the screen of the Keiser M3s was in miles or KM.

I guess it is miles but I am in a bit of a French area of Montreal and some people like to convert the distance to Km.

Does the M3 offer the flexibility for the person to set up the distance to work in miles or Km? Or is it always only in miles?

I was supposed to ask the maintenance staff tonight but forgot and will propably see the member tomorrow morning again.

thanks

I bet there is an option when you set up the meter. And I would be surprised if whoever set your meters up put it in miles. But who knows? I am also surprised there's not a little indicator (mi or km) on the meter.

I'm sure there is a Keiser toll-free number you can call for info.

I think you could best assume that the distance is in 'make believe'.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    I think you could best assume that the distance is in 'make believe'.
    Well, I was going to say that! I left it up to you!

5. Default

Todd's response is the closest to the truth.

There is a formula, based on the diameter of the wheel, that converts revolutions to a distance. It is not metric from what I recall.

So basically, spin the flywheel x number of times, go z distance. Doesn't matter the resistance used.

Yeah, so basically useless as any type of a measure of effort. Much like all the other bike computers. They all seem to have this 'need' to display a distance. No matter that it makes no sense.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

6. Default

Thanks for the info.

I will check with the maintenance guys at the gym and will try giving Keiser a call as well.

I will also tell the member that distance displayed is not that accurate.

Moot

It's not distance, just the number of times the wheel turns.

I think (can't remember) that 0.1 equates to 100 revolutions of the flywheel, so that 1.0 is 1000 revs (not metres).
    See me on the blog - Spinning profiles, training tips, thoughts on life, and anything else I can think of sharing!

who rides the new Schwinn Power bikes? Apparently they use their "distance" even more than the "power". (Heard that from someone who took a Schwinn class taught by a top Schwinn MI at a conference a few weeks ago).

Anyone know anything about this? I think their "distance" is a function of wattage output, and not circumference of the flywheel. I'd be curious as to how it's determined.

Apparently higher power output translates to more distance....which as anyone knows, once you throw a hill or headwind into the equation, it's all screwed up.

9. Default

We use the new Schwin bikes at our gym. The power console displays mph, watts, ht. rate, kcals, rpms, and total ride time with distance.
    Every instructor uses the computer differently. I mostly teach to rpm and wattage. I can ask the MI about the distance and how it relates to rpms but I'd imagine the faster you spin the more distance travelled regardless of resistance level.
    Believe it or not, some members are focused on the Kcals burned in the hour class.

10. Default Distance on display

Distance shown on M3 bike is for maintenance purpose only, and their manual states that clearly for obvious reasons. But, I also had several people talking to each other how far they went after the class when that distance meant useless like we all know.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Funhog View Post
    who rides the new Schwinn Power bikes? Apparently they use their "distance" even more than the "power". (Heard that from someone who took a Schwinn class taught by a top Schwinn MI at a conference a few weeks ago).
    Incorrect- All measurements can be used to analyze, goal set and challenge individuals weather during the class or from class to class month to month year to year.

Anyone know anything about this? I think their "distance" is a function of wattage output, and not circumference of the flywheel. I'd be curious as to how it's determined.
    The bike goes no where. Its a predicted measurement. It is a way to have feedback for output based on an algorithm.
    Apparently higher power output translates to more distance....which as anyone knows, once you throw a hill or headwind into the equation, it's all screwed up.
    Again you are going no where its a stationary bike. The real can be put into a ride with realistic cadences. Even positioning yourself on a stationary bike is messed up compared to cycling. Even on rollers with a real bike.
    My feeling is its still what you do to keep yourself trained up for the purpose of overloading for a given test.

Best Regards
    Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast