Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching off the bike

Quote Originally Posted by Capnfnroy View Post
    I like teaching on the bike better, gets a better connection to the class
    Me too...but sometimes is good also to teach off the bike...for a few minutes.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tej725 View Post
    I teach mostly on the bike. My students have told me they prefer the instructor to be on the bike. And I feel bad asking them to do something I'm not.

Occasionally I'll get off to help someone adjust their bike, or I'll teach from the floor if the timing of a sequence is complicated. It can help me keep track of everything that's going on!

Sometimes I divide the class up into teams and have them race against each other. I coach from off the bike in that case. But almost always, I'm right in the thick of it with them!
    I also feel bad asking the students to do something I'm not!

I'll get off the bike for short periods of class to check on new riders, correct something, etc. We cut off the class signup sheet at the number of bikes available less one for the instructor so it's rare (only happened once in 2+ years) I'll have more riders enter the room than bikes are available. in that one situation I did give up my bike & teach the entire class off the bike. I was glad it happened because I wanted to see how I'd do with it. It worked out well. It was much easier to cue while not riding and I'm sure I talked lots more than usual. I had been cautioned it's possible to make it overly intense for the class when the instructor isn't doing any riding & hopefully I didn't stray into that area.

Spin_me Guest

Hmm maybe I stand with my mind almost alone. I like TotB and i use it often.
    First of all it´s not my Training Time, so the first and only point is...what is the best for the students.
    In one Health Club my class is regularly overbooked...so i can place my bike beside the students and one more person can have a good training time.
    I give the trainees regularly the chance to close their eyes and concentrate on the pedal movements, breathing or the load, so there`s no reason to be on bike too, because the sense seeing is off.
    How do you show your students how hard the have to work, while you´re sitting on the bike? Dynamic rotate the torso or turn around the resistance knob? I think that has something to do with credible training and a credible coach and not with sitting on a bike or standing on the floor. Teaching of the bike allows you, speaking to every student, how it must feel at the moment. In most of my classes i think the sense feeling is much better than the sense seeing......exception Beginner Classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_me View Post
    ......exception Beginner Classes.
    Here you have it. Professional coaches or folk who have classes with predictable, well skilled members could afford to spend the majority of their time off the bike ....... walk around with a clip board and stop clock, even, like they do on the training DVDs. It's very rare that I have a class like that. I now teach my regular classes at the 9 am time slot so I tend to have a mix of skill sets, fitness levels, egos etc. etc and at any one time there will likely be someone who needs a visual reminder far more than intimate coaching. This seems to be the case whether I have numbers in the low single digits or 20 plus.

I'm likely to spend far more time off the bike with a large class but, in general, only about 70-80% of my time outside of w/u and c/d is off the bike. This is what appealed to me as a student.....enough to feel personally *special* when teacher came around with a "good job" or what have you but not enough to fell interfered with. At any one time I'll be demoing cadence, position, form and intensity etc. If I have a high intensity profile, I'll demo how *hard* hard should be but always announce that should anyone need to back off for today, they won't be alone because I will actually be riding the lower intensity in order to offer verbal cues(a chance for a bit of good natured banter there)

I think a lot of us have far more beginners than we realise.......seeing as the day before my certification course my skill set and knowledge base put me very close to that category and I'd been taking 3-4 classes a week for a couple of years by then, if you get my meaning

Vivienne

Spin_me Guest

Vivienne i love your flowery spelling, but the bad side...i understand only one half.
    But i think you missunderstood (or maybe i).
    There´s a big different between Beginner Classes and Beginner in Classes! Students in Beginner Classes need all the same. Seeing what the have to do, when and how! Most mistakes are not personal mistakes but group mistakes. There`s no real reason to teach a lot of time of the Bike.
    Beginner in normal classes need TofB, because it´s the best way to hold direct contact to the person, seating position, breathing, effort, arm position ...must be corrected immediately.
    But this is only possible if the rest of the group can continue to train even though the coach is no longer sitting on the bike. Imagine all take out the resistance, just because I get off the bike ... unthinkable!
    Last point....."walk around with a clip board and stop clock, even, like they do on the training DVDs." ......huh if my classes looks like this, it is time to leave the job.
    Predictable, well-educated members do not grow on trees!!!
    But there are also many reasons why you might/should get off the bike, whether you have 5 homogeneous participants or 25 individualists!
    Andi

7. Default

We're encouraged to get off the bike during class to make connections with participants/help with form. I've had to teach off the bike a couple of times and ask the class ahead of time if they mind. No one has ever said "no".

OMG......I didn't think I'd have cause to invoke the *upstream* thang again. There you go....

I happen to think it's good in a regular full class to get off yer bike and roam around to check in with folk........even with the hokey "Working hard.....or hardly working" stuff

However, doing this in a small class might be a bit more intrusive.....and redundant......than is called for.

As a student, I liked having the instructor on the bike and knowing that they were suffering just as much as I was. However, now as an instructor I feel its important to take some time off the bike while your coaching. I feel I am a much mores articulate when I am off the bike and coaching drills, however if it is a beat driven ride, I will keep myself on the bike more often than not. I also agree, it is their workout, so their needs come first, not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnz View Post
    I feel I am a much mores articulate when I am off the bike and coaching drills.
    Well, you would, wouldn't you. If you can actually speak, you're bound to be more articulate. The Secret is......and it is no secret.....you don't need to have class members who are *suffering*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12