Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do your members sign in for Spin?

Default How do your members sign in for Spin?

Hello PO friends,

Yes, it's that time, January in a health club! I was hoping that some of you would share the method that your facility uses to sign riders up for a Spin class. We are re-evaluating our current sign in policy (sheet goes out 30 m prior to class) and it works well except for the super early 5:30 a.m. classes. If your club uses the call ahead method, what percentage of those actually show up? For instance, if all the bikes are filled according to the master list, do you end up with empty bikes and find that others could have riden after all? If John Doe wants to ride, does John himself have to call, or can his wife make the reservation? How soon can a reservation be made ahead of time? A week? 24 hours? And if you use that method, are there any other pitfalls to be aware of? And if you use a sign up sheet, how do you do that? Any suggestions are welcome. Of course, the addition of more 5:30 classes is certainly an option as well. Thank you!

Gym 1 & 2:
    -classes open for signup 25 hours before class starts. Anyone can call. We drum it into their heads that they need to call out if they can't make it. Then alternates are called in. They must be on the bike when class begins. If they are late and someone is there, waiting, they have forfeited their bike to the person there. Yes, we do have empty bikes at times and it's frustrating.

Gym 3:
    -signup is 24 hours before class but this gym rarely fills so no-shows are not an issue.

Gym 4:
    -must sign up for class (in person) 30 minutes before. No one can sign up for you. You can reserve a bike a week in advance for $5.00. The issue is some people struggle to get there by class time, let alone 30 minutes before. Also early morning classes start when the gym opens, so people queque up outside, waiting for it to open. Not bad in May, but not very pleasant when it's 10 degrees.
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

At most of the facilities I work at it's first come first serve which has had it's fair share of problems. People saving bikes for friends, then friends don't show up but people were turned away because they didn't have a bike. Ensue, Catfight.

I work at another club that have them sign up 24 hours before the class which has had it's problems too. People signing up and then they don't show up.

My Twin told me about her gyms policy which I really like, if you sign up and don't show up 3x, you can't sign up for another spin class for 6 months! Ouch...... (am I right about that Twin?)

I think you try to find a way to make it work and tweak it at necessary (January/September) times of the year.

I'm the Twin to whom Shannon refers, and yes, she's right.

First of all, we used to have a sign-up policy that was 48 hours before any class. So for the 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, it was 5:30 a.m. on Sunday. That was all well and good except for Wed-Fri 5:30 a.m. classes because it seemed like the folks who were always there at that time were monopolizing the spots, and anyone who wasn't there to sign up or awake early enough to call had a problem getting into the classes. So we changed it to 11 a.m. two days before for ALL classes, no matter time of day. So any class Tuesday now has sign ups starting at 11 a.m. on Sunday. This levels the playing field, but sufficiently irritated the people who were always standing at the desk at 5:30 a.m. to get "their" spot in the coveted 5:30 am class. It also makes the phones ring off the hook at 11 a.m.

But then we inadvertently caused another problem: people being able to successfully sign up at 11 a.m. and then not showing and not bothering to call and cancel, so people on the waitlist never got called for an open spot. That's when we instituted the 3 strikes and you're out policy. If you no show without calling to cancel three times, you can't sign up for a bike for 6 months. You can walk in and take an already open space if one exists, but you can't sign up.

This policy requires:
    1) Very strict and careful attendence by the instructor
    2) Very strict and careful recordkeeping by the Group Ex Director
    3) Follow through by the GED and the front desk staff who are the ones responsible for writing names on that list.

So far it's been good and it's taken care of the no shows. But those 5:30 a.m. folks are still bent out of shape about the 11 a.m. sign up.

I teach at gyms with all different types of policy:

1 - booking by phone/online a week in advance
    People don't show, forget they've booked, don't call to cancel, many empty bikes, many members show up "just in case", half the class don't even book.

2 - booking the previous day
    Better but still always a few bikes empty, not good for members who are really keen and would otherwise have attended

3 - signing in on arrival
    Good but then I have to go all the way down to reception to pick up the sheet (either that or I take it 20mins before the class starts, on my way to the studio). Then, if there's a bun-fight for places, I have to call out a register for those names I don't recognise. Unless those who haven't booked volunteer their seats, time wasted in finding the culprits

4 - pick up a coloured rubber band on arrival
    First come first served, only one band per member, no saving bikes. I don't need to know who's on the list, so long as they have the right coloured band on their wrist. I collect them at the end, in case I forget who gave them to me or if they leave them on the stereo when I'm not there.

5 - have a dozen spare bikes "just in case"
    Not practical but... you never know!
    See me on the blog - Spinning profiles, training tips, thoughts on life, and anything else I can think of sharing!

We operate on the system of calling in the morning of the day of class, e.g:
    Call in at 7.00am for the lunchtime or evening class.

The classes get booked up by about 8.00 if it is a popular slot.
    We have 20 bikes and 90% of the time, we have one or 2 no shows, and then the reserve people can get a bike instead.
    The flaw with this is that some of the receptionists 'misunderstand' the system and tell people they are booked in when they are not. This has not happend in my classes yet but does happen now and then - the instructor gives up their bike and sometimes has to turn people away.
    It tends to work pretty well, although you do get the odd newbie to the club who has not realised you need to book in to the class; asking them to leave can be unpleasant, but, well, it does say about booking on the timetable.

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd share how it works at my gym.

Members sign up in advance to insure a spot. You have to pay $1 for a reservation. If you don't have a reservation the day of the class, you have to get there way early to sign up, knowing you might be on the wait list, even if you get there an hour before.

If a member reserves a spot, but doesn't come to the class, the first person on the wait list is called to get a bike, etc. Usually a few wait listers get in, but sometimes none.

In order to reserve a spot, you have to do it in person.

Cycle and Body Pump are like this at my gym. I sign up a few weeks in advance for all my classes!

8. Default

we have a "spin line" at our y and members need to call up to 48 hours in advance to reserve bike

9. Default Sign in

I teach a several clubs all with different policies. One you sign in the night before and the other does on-line sign-up. There is no perfect system and you get no shows almost every class (opening spots for the wait list). I would say that for many busy Moms balancing kids they need a reserved bike to allow them to get their kids dropped off at Child Watch and make it to class. Day of sign up would not work for them. Club I just started teaching with just instituted online booking. The have also instituted a policy of fining no-shows $1 if they don't cancel and open up the slot for someone else.

10. Default

At my club we have cycle cards at the front desk and they get handed out on a first come first serve basis, unless they decided to call in and reserve the bike for $2 dollars the day before.

At my gym, we have computerized reservations. Reservations can be made no earlier than 48 hours in advance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast