Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LeMond bikes

Default LeMond bikes

I just started teaching at a gym that uses LeMond bikes. I don't really like them so far, because the handle bars are these huge things. It just seems strange to me - the whole bike seems kind of big and excessive. Tell me some good features about the LeMond indoor cycling bikes, so that I can be more happy while teaching!
    Thanks

Default The big ride

Cindy, I teach the majority of my classes at a club with Startrek/JG spinners and I teach 1 class at a ymca that has these LeMond bikes. I completely agree with you, they are bulky and I don't "prefer" them, but I am getting used to it. The handel bars are huge, I put them lower then anyone in the class, and I pretend like it is my aero bar. I also try to tell myself it is a more secure platform for my cheat sheet, stopwatch, metronome, or whatever crazy tool I may be using for that class. These are new bikes for this ymca and they are so excited about them and i don't want to squish that for them so I keep my mouth shut on that subject. Good Luck!
    SpinningSLP5

3. Default lemond bikes

uh, huge? As in what dimension are you refering to? I've ridden the Schwinn spinner? (black, i thnk older model) and found the bars to be large/thick in diameter compared to the Lemond bars. Being this was the first spin bike I ever used, I didn't mind. While I must admit I did have a period of adjustment to the Lemond from the Schwinn, I now feel that the Lemond is more comfortable overall than the Schwinn. Keep in mind, the Schwinn bike I'm refering to is the one with the peg/hole adjustments, not the infinitely adjustable sliding mechanism found on other bikes including the Lemond.

I just completed a small/short training on new Lemond bikes with the computerized pilot system on the bars. The bikes felt great and in my opinion I think the bars will help to give newer riders better form in standing positions. I also love the TT bars as I am a roadie.The computer was pretty neat. A new toy to play with, but it does give every rider their cadence. I know it is only my 1st experience with them but so far so good. The university UNM just started a studio cycling program with these bikes, so I'll keep you posted on how the participants like them.
    Mike

I like the handle bars. I think they are more comfortable on the wrists because they have an angle and I agree with woodieknot that the handle bars are thinner than the schwinn which is too thick for my hands.

holidaeb Guest

The club that I teach at most uses the LeMond Rev Masters, I must admit when I first started teaching on them I did not like it at all. In my past experiences as a class participant I rode the Schwinn's (not sure which model) and really liked them. I then purchased a StarTac spinner pro for my home use, which I absolutely LOVE! The ergonomic set up on the LeMond is so different compared to these bikes that I really did not feel like I was able to get an effective/safe work out. I personally feel that the angle of the handlebars is to much on the wrists when you are in a standing climb and have developed a lot of wrist tightness and popping. It is amazing how much better of a ride I have (mentally and physically) when I ride my StarTac. I really feel like I am out on the open road riding, it is a more realistic feeling ride to me. However, I have gotten used to the LeMond over the year and feel more comfortable riding on it. It is all what you are used to, and I am sure if I went to a LeMond training and learned their program I would probably really enjoy the bikes.

holidaeb Guest

Oops, I meant Star Trac!

bikerchick2 Guest

I like our LeMonds. I have also riden on ReeBok and Star Trec. You have to remember that not everyone who takes an indoor cycle class is an outdoor rider. I like the handlebars, because they give you alot of options for your hand placement. I find myself using the handlebars all over the place when I do different moves. I like 'em.

amberlc Guest

We use the Lemond bikes. I find them very comfortable. I really like the newer ones better - with the loop handle bars. I find the participant don't have a tendency to put their hands on the very edges of the handle bars this way.

bikerchick2 Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by amberlc
    We use the Lemond bikes. I find them very comfortable. I really like the newer ones better - with the loop handle bars. I find the participant don't have a tendency to put their hands on the very edges of the handle bars this way.
    Me too! We have both at our facility and I LOVE the new handlebars. We have had some debate about letting them use the handlebars up at the top where they loop together. But I find it a great tool. You can move your hands all over the bars and find the perfect position for whatever you're doing with the rest of your body.

Velojunkie Guest

Thumbs up Love The LeMond/Stairmaster Bikes!!

In my 19+ years as an instructor, I've ridden just about every bike made and I think the Lemond's are the best.
    Infinite adjustability like real bikes, easy maintenance, super quiet, kevlar belt driven (no chain=no oil).
    The newer bars are also a benefit, as most students are new to cycling and are constantly searching for a different hand position. (an attempt to somehow ease the suffering, I believe)
    I liked this bike so much I bought two, one for myself and one for my wife.
    Last edited by Velojunkie; 03-28-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast