Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Cycle Reebok Dead?

1. Default

The mentoring sounds great in theory, but most Y's don't even have YMCA certified instructors, hence the X bike in some, Spinning, Schwinn, and Kyser in others. It is hard enough to try and get the small town Y's to certify the instructors in a one day course of anything, much less require them to have mentoring program. I would be happy just to see a consistant program throughout the Y's.
    I would love to see the CI's included as I have witnessed some instructors and trainers in hovers and popcorn jumps.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dura-Ace View Post
    The mentoring sounds great in theory, but most Y's don't even have YMCA certified instructors, hence the X bike in some, Spinning, Schwinn, and Kyser in others. It is hard enough to try and get the small town Y's to certify the instructors in a one day course of anything, much less require them to have mentoring program. I would be happy just to see a consistant program throughout the Y's.
    I would love to see the CI's included as I have witnessed some instructors and trainers in hovers and popcorn jumps.
    Can't speak to the situation for the USA YMCA's, but YMCA Canada now has a module in their Fitness Instructor training program for Group Cycling. It is brand agnostic. I believe it was made available for ordering in 2006 (copyright on manual is 2006).

All Canadian YMCA are expected to ensure that their instructors (in any module) are properly trained. In the past, it was very lax in the indoor cycling because there was no single standard; reliance was on the manufacturer of the bikes or other organisations to provide the training. Attend a workshop and you could claim to be trained. I guess.

The manual is well put together, but as mentioned about the USA Y program by Willie, there is no section on CI moves. I am not keen on a couple of other items, but accept what they have done (there is no mention that I can recall of maximum cadence - all the examples however only go up to 110 rpm).

Simplifying the certification process as I understand it, all instructors are to go through module courses. Where module courses are not available, then other training is looked for (a graduate in Kinesiology or Human Kinetics likely would not have to do the core Fitness Module for example, depending on how long ago that degree was completed). If formalised training is not available or feasible, then a strong mentorship can be an alternative.

My facility has a very small cycling program (four classes and I teach two of them) with three instructors and one sub available. From this, it is hard to say what our standard is. All the instructors have been teaching since before the manual came out. We have not been asked to review (nor provided with a copy of) the manual. I was asked prior to publication to review and comment but that is because of other relationships within the YMCA system. Were previously teaching instructors grandfathered in? Don't know. New instructor requirements? They should be going through a module course, or failing the numbers for a course, they can be mentored by a YMCA certified fitness leader or subject matter expert.

I was recently asked to mentor an instructor who had just completed the core fitness theory module and the group fitness module. She wanted to learn to lead group cycle classes. There was no prompting/suggestion for me to use the YMCA Canada manual. I knew it existed and I ensured that the individual had a copy (as well as links to this site and to a number of blogs for regulars on this site).

So, even though there is a module with a manual, there is a lot of flexibility about how to get an instructor prepared to teach. So much that there is no real enforcement beyond what the Group Fitness Director (or in my facility, the Health & Fitness Manager who the Group Fitness Director reports to) requires or does.

Anytime there has been a cry for enforcement of standards, there is often an equally loud cry of poverty or hardship that will be encountered by such enforcement. In my opinion, it is, sadly, not until the risk management team steps in that standards get enforced. Until then, it is left to the best judgement of the supervisor/management team. YMCA facilities have very strict standards around their aquatic programs and their child care programs.

There is cost of doing business, any type of business whether for-profit or not-for-profit. Many times, managers are so focused on the bottom line of the balance sheet and income statements that they don't recognise the costs of risk and the cost of not having standards.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Dura-Ace View Post
    Other than the YMCA of the USA that still uses cycle reebok, is it safe to assume that it is dead or dying? Bikes are no longer made, and as far as I know Rober Sherman doesn't even teach it anymore.
    Our corporate IDC classes went with Reebok bikes (which we maintain ourselves, since they're pretty old now) and recently (last year) flew out Robert Sherman to re-certify all our instructors.

Instructors who come in on a onesie-twosie basis have been sent to get formal Spinning certs (I've gone through both).

He's an interesting guy... had one of our instructors seeing red right out of the gate. The immovable object had met his irresistible force.

This would be nice... Unfortunaltey, the Y certifications are not good for anywhere but the Y. None of the YMCA Certifications are nationally recognized. To my knowlage you can not use any Y certifications as CEU's for other organizations. Our Y does not have any Y certified Cycle instructors...mainly because we dont have a trainer near by.

It would be nice for all instructors at the Y to be able to use there certifications elsewhere if they wished.

Wow! Reading through this thread was eye-opening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12