Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Real Ryder please

1. Default

My first experience on these bikes was pretty good. I got a great workout and it was free.

Was it like riding a real bike? No.
    Was it more like riding a real bike than any other indoor cycle? Yes.
    Was it a killer workout? Yes.
    Was there a learning curve? Yes (thank you MSF for my first 2 free classes!)
    Was it fun? Yes.

I was almost upset I couldnt do the turns and standing like everyone else in my first class. Im a cat1 competitive mountain bike racer and I couldnt keep pace with Mrs Mom in her skort flapping in the wind during the sweeping turns at my first class. I came back for more the next week and fast forward to several months later- we are opening up our own studio with these bikes...

I love the RealRyders!! Actually, so much so that I am also a RealRyder Master Trainer now! I was a Bally Reaction Cycling Master Trainer for 5 years. You may have been in my certs!
    As for the RealRyder, it is NOT supposed to be an outdoor bike simulator. However, the bike it is supposed to move under the ryder in rhythm and in response to the ryder's efforts as is the case on any outdoor bike. That's the 'Real' of it. The added bonus of the RealRyder is that you can also do so much more with it than you can on a stationary or outdoor bike. For example, you can really work on core and upperbody muscles (without having to resort to push-ups) by exagerating the leans.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana Beauchamp View Post
    I love the RealRyders!! Actually, so much so that I am also a RealRyder Master Trainer now! I was a Bally Reaction Cycling Master Trainer for 5 years. You may have been in my certs!
    As for the RealRyder, it is NOT supposed to be an outdoor bike simulator. However, the bike it is supposed to move under the ryder in rhythm and in response to the ryder's efforts as is the case on any outdoor bike. That's the 'Real' of it. The added bonus of the RealRyder is that you can also do so much more with it than you can on a stationary or outdoor bike. For example, you can really work on core and upperbody muscles (without having to resort to push-ups) by exagerating the leans.
    +1. It's not at all like a real bike (which is what I was expecting because of the name).

That said... I put cycling right up there with running and rowing for effective cardio-pulmonary-vascular-mucular endurance exercise. When it comes to working your 'core' and upper body muscles, I can't say that I would put a Real Ryder anywhere near the top of the list. When it comes to specificity, what I can say that there's no more effective way to train for riding a Real Ryder than riding a Real Ryder. If riding a Real Ryder is your sport of choice, I think there's no better way to train than riding a Real Ryder.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    +1. It's not at all like a real bike (which is what I was expecting because of the name).

That said... I put cycling right up there with running and rowing for effective cardio-pulmonary-vascular-mucular endurance exercise. When it comes to working your 'core' and upper body muscles, I can't say that I would put a Real Ryder anywhere near the top of the list. When it comes to specificity, what I can say that there's no more effective way to train for riding a Real Ryder than riding a Real Ryder. If riding a Real Ryder is your sport of choice, I think there's no better way to train than riding a Real Ryder.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post

Really?
    Yup. IMHO.

Real bikes turn with countersteer and lean. I thought it was totally unnatural having the handlebars turn so drastically with even minimal lean. The only time you would turn a real bike with that much handlebar movement would be on a steep, mountain bike switchback.

And if I'm looking for "core" work, I'll take any closed chain free weight strength training movement as my exercise of choice with my limited available training time.

Took my first class on the weekend. I didnt hate it. I felt that there was a lot going on in the handlebar configuration and I felt the frame hitting my legs so it seems more bulky than what I'm used to. Also it felt that the focus is on banking the bike. And we did alot of that...to an extreme. I would need to take a few more classes to give an honest opinion. One more thing the instructor I had that the objective when you were in a standing flat was no movement to the handlebars and to do that you almost needed to hover as a matter of fact that was exactly what she was demonstrating so I dont know if that is instruction protocol for this particular bike or if she was just getting creative.

7. Default

I have been taking real ryder classes for a while, and I have learned to love them.

8. Default

I really want to try one of these bikes. Is there a way to find out what local facilities have one?

9. Default

ShanD18, on www.realryder.com, there is a facility finder tool you can use to find the nearest studio that has them.

Thanks.. this is they type of feedback that will help us decide if we go with RealRyder in our facility...

Do you all think that RealRyders will stay around? Will they soon drown out stationary bikes, or do you think that these bikes are just a fad?..
    We have priced some for our facility and the maintenance...
    Now we're just trying to see how long we can look at having them and if we should go with the realryder next year or stick with the stationary brands....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast