Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Real Ryder please

Prescott, AZ - At 5400' in the Ponderosa Pines and Home of the World's Oldest Rodeo (yeehaa!)

Default RealRyders Crank!!!!

They are surely the best bike out there right now...I was just certified on these at Spinkicks.ca in Toronto and I can honestly say that static bikes are BORING. And the workout is not nearly as good and on our Schwinns or GAG, our Lemonds!

For those naysayers who have not tried them yet, hold your comments until you do...

They rock!

PS Spinning in Prescot and Ryding in Toronto
    Spinning In Prescott, AZ

Patrick Schutte
    MDA Star Level 3 Certified Nutcase
    RealRyder Certified

www.SpinningInPrescott.com

My blog: http://blog.prescott-area-foreclosures.com

2. Default Jury still out

I've taken two classes now on the RR. 2nd class felt better than the first but I'm still not sold. I like the feel in the saddle and standing, it's the turning/banking that feels awkward. You have to literally push on the handlebar to get it to bank which would never be the case on a road bike. The instructor would come by and push people over more to the side. I could feel it in my arms and obliques, but it certainly wasn't a "real" riding sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by oregongal View Post
    I've taken two classes now on the RR. 2nd class felt better than the first but I'm still not sold. I like the feel in the saddle and standing, it's the turning/banking that feels awkward. You have to literally push on the handlebar to get it to bank which would never be the case on a road bike. The instructor would come by and push people over more to the side. I could feel it in my arms and obliques, but it certainly wasn't a "real" riding sensation.
    +1

You turn a real bike with lean and countersteer. The RR designers seem to think a bike turns the same way a car does. Linking bike lean to excessive handlebar turn was a big mistake IMHO. The only time the RR feels anything like a real bike is when you're seated on 'flat road'.

RR is very careful not to say it's exactly like a real bike because it isn't, and it would be impossible to mimic those same forces in a turn. But, it's MUCH more like a real bike compared to a standard stationary bike, and solves a lot of the issues that a solid bike creates. After a normal ride on one of these (without trying to bank left and right a lot - which is contrived) you most definitely feel your core. By "normal" I mean anything you might do on a stationary bike (without CI moves). It's a much better workout for the same perceived effort.

It takes anywhere from 2-4 times on it before most people feel comfortable, so keep trying it with an open mind! I love them.

5. Default

I've been teaching on them for over a year. Finally getting certified this weed end with Douglas Brooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
    I've been teaching on them for over a year. Finally getting certified this weed end with Douglas Brooks.
    Tell Douglas I said Hi!!

7. Default

The biggest issue I and another spin instructor friend had was the fit. I am an experienced outdoor cyclist and have been teaching spin for 7 years. My husband is a certified bike fit technician blah blah...I know how to set up a bike. Unfortunately, clocking in at 5'0, there was no way to make this bike come close to fitting me. While not many people will have this issue, it is something to consider.

8. Default

I only rode it once and it was interesting. I agree with Oregongirl - about the turning. The instructor told us to use your hips and lean all the way to the left and/or right...the next day my groin muscles were sore...I enjoyed it and felt it was much more challenging than a spin bike but it felt strange when you were up in a standing run position. Would I run to get certified...No! just my 2 cents...regards, Spunkee

All I can say is-WOW, were my obliques sore the next day!!

10. Default

I was super excited to try RR's at a conference earlier this year. I don't think I can make a judgement after such a limited experience. I will say I was ready to love them and that's not what happened. Like others have said, I found the banking awkward & really disliked standing, even though I was able to control the bike. That said, I liked the seated flat position. Don't expect it to feel like a real bike. In my opinion, it doesn't.

While I may learn to like the ride after some more time on one, as an instructor, I don't think it would work for those in my gyms. I think my elder riders and my deconditioned riders would not be inclined to try classes. And I think it would be very difficult for heavier riders.

Just my opinion after limited experience. It's not my intent to discredit them, I'm just offering my opinion as the original poster requested. Your mileage may vary...
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

11. Default

I have been using the RealRyder bikes in my studio since November 2010. I initially chose these bikes because they are so different to the other indoor cycling bikes on the market-I liked the idea that they mimicked real cycling so closely and were developed by cyclists for cyclists. The design is great-they have thought of everything and the time and expertise that has been put into the design of the bikes really shows-from the handle bars to the materials used-the design is first class.
    The feedback in the classes has been great. My clients really like the realistic feel to the bikes and have been switching to my classes from other indoor cycling classes-so this speaks volumes for the RealRyder. In addition I have attracted a lot of keen cyclists to the classes-which again is testament to the quality of the experience on the RealRyders.I wouldn't hesitate in recommending these bikes to anyone looking to give their clients a more realistic and enjoyable indoor cycling experience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast