Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Real Ryder please

Hybrid View

SpinningForHealth Guest

Default Opinions on Real Ryder please

I am an active duty Air Force officer and teach the Spinning method at my base fitness center. They want to replace their older Star Trac Elites with Real Ryders. The gym is not a registered Spinning facility, so that is not an issue and our instructors have various certifications. I would like to know if any Spin instructors have experience with Real Ryders. I am concerned that the tilting movements may be risky for some of my attendees who attend Spinning while they are rehabbing from injuries/surgeries. Any insight would be appreciated--I will be going to the Real Ryder facility in Santa Monica to ride them and would like to have some questions at the ready. Thanks!

Default New life to Indoor Cycling!

Everyone's first impresion is that it looks difficult. Before opening our Indoor Cycling facility I looked at all the top selling brands, Spinner,Schwinn, Lemond, etc. We wanted something unique & diff then what everyone else had. We chose the Real Ryder because it offered more than the usual cardio/leg workout. Good Spinning instructors should be able to adapt. The Priniple behind the Real Ryder is that you are working on 5 elements in your workout! Not bad for an all in 1 workout! We all have busy schedules. I don't have a few hours to workout in the gym.
    The Real Ryder offers instructors so many diff option for classes. Because the Bike is suspended due to the tilt & turn, I have noticed that my knees feel like i'm on a cloud!
    The funny thing is that someone mentioned to me that either people will love it or find it's too difficult to ride. All I know is that to get anywhere in life I had to work for it! All the people that have joined, including my wife who never spin's has never been happier! They are coming back telling me they are feeling leaner, tighter core, etc. They want me to take before & aft pic's! These are people who have been spinning for 3 years & only untill the have been riding the Real Ryder have noticed a change in their body!
    If you are ever in Toronto, come by & see us! Looks us up @ Spinkicks
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by Sandro; 02-06-2009 at 09:30 AM.

3. Default Canadian Air Force

The Canadian Air Force uses RealRyders and absolutely loves them. I could put you in touch with them if you would like. I am guessing they would give you an excellent idea of what to expect. Our CEO Colin Irving went to visit them and said that their instructors and workout routine was awesome and that were training incredibly hard on them. He said it was a great workout. We have people using our bikes in wellness centers and physical therapy studios and they too are in love with our bikes. Obviously I am biased, because I work for RealRyder, but in my opinion there is nothing even close to our bike in terms of quality and workout results. Look for our new website launching in the next few days.

Jeremiah Harrington

4. Default

Team up with Lance and LiveStrong and you might be unstoppable.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dura-Ace View Post
    Team up with Lance and LiveStrong and you might be unstoppable.
    Wouldn't that be awesome! We are getting great reviews from cyclist and triathletes, but obviously someone like Lance Armstrong would make us even more successful than we are already. Our bike is becoming very popular in New York, so I am guessing it is only a matter of time before you can find our bike all over the country. Please check out our website

Jeremiah Harrington

6. Default Bought RealRyder for home use

All I can say is it's the next level. I attend spins about 4 x week and mountain bike on the weekends. When I'm sprinting in class, I'll end up moving the other bikes sideways. And if it wasn't for the great instructors and music, I would of napped along time ago.

The RealRyder is the NEXT level - if you want to go there! The activation of your core is continuous thru out your workout - and no it's not your old spin bike and yes you have to work at getting it to tilt - but isn't that the whole point!! Plus, I noticed the outside of my ankles getting stronger because of the ability to tilt for longer periods.

My fiance is gearing up for Leadville and we know the RealRyder will be a perfect compliment for his training. He's 6'0 and 195 and loves the stability and weight of the RealRyder, plus with the seat and handlebars adjustable front to back, there is alot more room in the "cockpit" for him.

It takes some practice when standing on the RealRyder - at first I noticed the seat hits the inside of my thighs when it tilts - then I realized I just didn't have my hips back far enough so it's a great posture check!!

We know the money spent will pay off when we still have a great functioning, good looking, piece of fitness equipment that the whole family can enjoy years down the rode.

7. Default

I agree that the Real Ryder is the Next Level!!! I've been an indoor cycling participant since 1995. The more I ride these bikes, the more I LOVE the experience.

Eagle, Colorado in the Rocky Mountains

thank you John. It's important to hear all sides. I'm looking forward to trying these bikes, and knowing this will give me more information to consider when I do get the chance.

Simi Valley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by jdklich View Post
    The amount of force required to bank/turn the bike is much greater than what one would need on a real bike. This may not be a bad thing for conditioned participants but can pose a risk for many others, especially those with any type of musculoskeletal torso issues. More than one participant has refrained from executing the turns/banks in my classes; they report agravation of existing ailments or too much discomfort as a result of performing the turns/banks. Despite corections to form and technique, some particpants are not suited for these movements. There is too much resistance.
    That's weird. A real bike banks without any effort at all - it's the result of counter-steering. Never rode one of these bikes but it must feel strange to have to force a bike to lean to one side or another.

Quote Originally Posted by jdklich View Post
    Sandro mentioned he has burned a 1000 calories in an hour class on the RealRyder. I don't doubt that at all. Sandro is a well conditioned expereinced cyclist with a lean body composition. Based on his appearance I would guess his body fat at about 10%. He also has the training experience and conditioning to maintain a high level of intenity for an hour.
    If he doesn't have any proof that he's putting out an average of about 265 watts for that hour he's only guessing, no matter how lean he appears or how hard he appears to be working.

Most underestimate how hard it is to average 265 watts per hour. Most TDF riders will average substantially less than that on a typical stage.

Default Real ryder turn forces

I have not been on a real ryder so my comments are theoretical at this point. When making a left turn on a real bike you would first counter steer by pushing the left side of the handlebar forward. this would cause the bike to bank to the left and initiate the left turn. Depending on your speed and the turn radius(e.g. 90 degree corner vs 180 degree corner) centrifugal forces would be essentially pushing from your left side to your right side. The faster your speed and the tighter the turn the greater the force. To maintain your "bank" and left turn your core would be contracting statically mostly on you left side to hold this turn and bank. On a Real ryder if you bank to the left, gravitational forces are essentially pushing from your right side to your left(at an angle perpendicular to the ground. This means that your core is mostly contracting statically on your right side to keep you from falling off your seat to the left. It is the exact opposite of outside riding, but still involving core work none the less. As far as which is harder it is dependent on outdoor turn speed and radius vs indoor amount of bank(like turn radius) and body weight of the participant(like turn speed). A heavier taller rider will require much more core counteracting force than a lighter rider using the same bank angle on the indoor bike to keep from sliding off the seat. Now, the real ryder physics just described is null and void if they use some kind of resistance that forces you to "pull into" and bank a "turn." Regardless they look fun and another advantage is they appear to move easily left to right when seated. This would help reduce saddle pressure when seated by changing the pressure points, a little to the left, a little to the right. This is why it is more comfortable to stay seated for longer times outside than in.

11. Default Love the Realryders

I've been teaching on Realryders for about 2 months now. First couple of times I rode them gotta admit I hated it. Now I can't imagine going back to a regular spin bike. I love the Realryders. Amazing workout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast