Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Tips Using A Heart Rate Monitor

Default I don't get it

I guess I can understand if people want to monitor their heart rate for whatever reason, but I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I've been reading around on different threads here and have seen a lot of discussion about it. I have never seen any spin instructor even mention heart zones in class. We just work out, and we know we did well because we're all sweaty and tired afterward. lol It seems to me that it would be a waste of time, unless someone has a health condition and they must be monitored. I have no idea what my bpms are.. ever. I have a hard time finding my pulse so I never check. But I know I'm fit and getting stronger and faster all the time. Results are all I care about.. not numbers. Just my 2 cents.

Simply put, using a heart rate monitor allows you to quantify your level of fitness. Like any other muscle, the heart, when it is exercised properly gets stronger, but how would you know if you don't quantify it?

Do you lift unmarked weights? No, you lift specific weights for specific amounts of time and when you can lift heavier weights, you know you've made progress. That's what a heart rate monitor allows you to do with your heart in relationship to your training.

Additionally, and again this is the simplified explanation, your body uses different fuel at different heart rates. The goal of heart rate training is to expand the range at which your body burns mostly fat during exertion, as fat is the most prevalent fuel source. Since most folks have an excess amount of fat and they want to get rid of it, heart rate training is a useful tool to help with weight loss.

Is heart rate training the best tool for quantifying fitness and helping with weight loss? No, a power monitor built into your exercise equipment is better, but it is generally beyond what the average person can afford.
    SpinBob
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional
    Spotify

Default ...

First off, I second what Spin Bob said. And I will take his excellent weight-lifting analogy a step further.

You are teaching an entire class of people, some of whom you know nothing about, none of whom you know as intimately as yourself. You would never enter a body sculpting class and tell every single person to pick up the exact same weights as yours, as for some your weights would be too heavy and for some they would be too light. Cueing cadence and resistance assists your riders in getting close to your desired goal, but it is still too rigid, like telling them to use the same weights as you.

Instead, RPE or target heart rate allows out-of-shape riders to back off the intensity and still have an outstanding workout, while more advanced riders will realize that they should push themselves harder. It allows helps riders to avoid overtraining, which happens when they work at heart rates that are too high to be sustained all class, every class.

Believe me, I am all about getting people in class to have fun, work up a sweat and get their money's worth, but I find that at least tracking their workout by RPE is necessary to keep them coming back. It allows me to better articulate the purpose and the goals of the ride, which I find most riders want to know. Otherwise, you're just on a bike to nowhere.

Good luck!
    Gfp
    sometimes low self-esteem is earned. it's the correct response if you are not trying your best. do something about it. - Michael Koppelman

My Blog for Instructors (no longer updated, but some useful stuff) * Charleston RIDE™ * Spotify

4. Default

Wow,
    As a fitness professional, I would do a little more reading and take some more classes on the subject. HR monitors are not just for rehab, they've been used in training for at least 30 years. If you took a Spinning certification, it should have been a HUGE part of your day.
    Danielle Foster

Quote Originally Posted by groupfitpower View Post

Believe me, I am all about getting people in class to have fun, work up a sweat and get their money's worth, but I find that at least tracking their workout by RPE is necessary to keep them coming back.
    Well, I teach at a military gym and the classes are all free, so that isn't an issue. The people work as hard as they want to. The classes last 45 minutes and only about 10 of that is warmup and cooldown. We make the classes pretty difficult, but we tell them that ultimately they work as hard as they want to. We can't force them to turn that resistance knob up. They are all at different levels of fitness so some put more into it and some can't do as much. But they all get a great workout. If they do what I tell them to do (and what I'm doing), their heart rate WILL be in the zone for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by danielle View Post
    Wow,
    As a fitness professional, I would do a little more reading and take some more classes on the subject. HR monitors are not just for rehab, they've been used in training for at least 30 years. If you took a Spinning certification, it should have been a HUGE part of your day.
    Danielle Foster
    Danielle,

I'm a certified personal trainer, group exercise instructor, and cycling instructor and, yes, all my courses mentioned it but it was not a HUGE part of anything. I can tell when I'm in the zone. I work out hard. I've just never measured it with a monitor. Some of the cardio machines tell me my heart rate, and it's usually pretty much where I think it is. I can tell by how I feel. Yes, it is important to get into the zone and if someone doesn't know where they stand and feels like they need a monitor to know, that is fine. I just have never needed one. And like I said, none of the classes I've been in have stopped to check heart rates. We all work hard and can tell we are where we need to be. I'm just saying that it is not an issue for me personally.

7. Smile Heart Rate Training

Hi All,

I am new to the site but have been teaching spinning for about 10 years now. I also structure my classes to the energy zones and heart rates. The members love it because they know what to expect. Almost everyone that takes my class has a heart rate monitor. What I find to be the most useful is seeing how quickly your heart rate recovers. Also for the outdoor cycling enthusiast it helps them with their training plans. If you have an instructor always doing hard, hard, hard, fast, fast, fast, that is now going to help anyone achieve their goals whether they are training for a specific event or a beginner. Just my two cents

8. Default

thanks for the article suggestion!

One concern with the formula for calculating max heart rate in this article... Go full force, then stop and get off the bike? I get it, I guess, if you tell the person to sit down or something. i just have images on people woozily walking about trying to count out their heart beats! Must be all the CPR training I've had...!

10. Default

I like to use Rating of Percieved Exertion. Not many people in my classes have heart rate monitors, but everyone can be a good judge of how they are feeling.

HR Monitor is very usefull during different Energy Zones while conducting Spinning programe, but sometimes you need to relay to your own feeling,....sometimes depends how you sleept, what you ate,....general health,,.... a day you are having. Doing Spinning you get used to EZ and its resistance and difficulty, so you can even be more or less precise in the EZ you want. I always encorague my students to get HRM, or at least when having B-day when people asking them what do you want for present...... I want an HRM so I can keep up with my Spinning class.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast