Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you teach the Recovery Energy Zone?

Lexington, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.

Default Do you teach the Recovery Energy Zone?

In my former place of employment, we scheduled the Energy Zones, all with the exception of the Recovery Energy Zone. My question is, how many of you (or your gyms) either schedule this energy zone, or how many of you teach it if not otherwise designated on the schedule?

I think that the REZ would be a very powerful class to teach... and I'll probably never have the chance.

Patrick
    -FiTour Master Trainer. www.fitour.com
    -Owner & Creator- Y:ki www.ykionline.com
    -Subaru-University of Kentucky Cycling Team: President

-University of Arizona, Fitness Graduate Assistant
    My triathlon coaching blog:
    www,beyondwildky.blogspot,com

Talking

I do the others try....
    Felix Pereira
    Certified SPINNING Instructor, Star 3 Status
    Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT), Yoga Alliance
    Bodyforging - Power Yoga Fusion Certified

"Nothing is difficult to those who have the will."
    - Dutch Poet's Society

"To the enlightened person, what seems like night to others is the state of awakenining, and what appears as day to others is as night to those who know the Self."
    -Krishna, The Bhagavad Gita

Lexington, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannondaleguy View Post
    I do the others try....
    Pardon? Not sure I follow. Care to expand?

Patrick

None of the places I have taken classes at or taught at ever featured this type of ride. I'd be curious how many of the instructors here do teach it.

Don't teach it as most of the people coming to the gym are not looking for that. You at school though have a great opportunity to do these rides, maybe not during regular class time but maybe a special ride before finals or a break. Kick ass ride one night recovery the next or a special two hour - kick some but and then go into recovery. Might be worth a try.

it's hard to do that kind of ride....
    i've tired a few times....
    and it's one of my favorites!
    Felix Pereira
    Certified SPINNING Instructor, Star 3 Status
    Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT), Yoga Alliance
    Bodyforging - Power Yoga Fusion Certified

"Nothing is difficult to those who have the will."
    - Dutch Poet's Society

"To the enlightened person, what seems like night to others is the state of awakenining, and what appears as day to others is as night to those who know the Self."
    -Krishna, The Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by JoyofSpin View Post
    Don't teach it as most of the people coming to the gym are not looking for that.
    I think that's the main reason why I've never had the chance to take or teach it ... folks want a sweaty workout and to them if we're not doing an Interval or Strength class they're not happy

8. Default

In our facility, there is no particular schedule of rides/energy zones. It is always at the discretion of the instructor, and nothing is posted ahead of time. Basically, you find out when you get to class what the ride is going to be. And even then, sometimes you still don't know until the end of class how the ride was intended to be used for training.

Personally, I have never taught a recovery ride. Most people coming to a Spinning class once or twice a week don't need it. The ones who DO need it, are probably not too likely to use it as recovery. (speaking to myself here!) I'd love to attend one just to have the experience.
    brenda

han-grrl Guest

Default i do

i try to cycle between the zones quite regularly. My class usually enjoys the active recovery, its gives them a chance to work on technique and mental imagery

Another question: would your clientele deal if you taught a Recovery Ride?

Mine wouldn't. They'd flip. As soon as I say, "Work no harder than your normal recovery/warm-up effort," they'd be out the door and on the treadmill.

Patrick

Every periodization should have a recovery phase or recovery day since work plus rest promotes growth. Unfortunately most folks forget about the rest part. So the questions are: do students who ride only once or twice a week need a REZ class and/or how low does one have to take their HR on recovery day?

But to answer your questsions. I do not teach REZ classes and if I did my students would bolt. If I did teach REZ it would be the day after a RDEZ or other high intensity class - or if the class showed signs of being beat up and needed some active recovery or needed to spin out their legs at a low intensity.

Cheeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast