Thread: Replacing Pilot with cycle computers?

Default Replacing Pilot with cycle computers?

We have 24 LeMond indoor cycles with pilots, all one-year-old, all outfitted with pilots. I recently had our bikes serviced, which included replacing all the batteries on the pilots. Didn't help correct inaccurate or missing displays of cadence. I have one or two that have never worked at all. We have asked LeMond to replace the inoperable pilot and were told that they are not covered by any warranty. The cost to replace one is about $170.00, not including shipping. I think this is outrageous.

Is there anyone who has had experience with the replacing or repairing the pilot? The cost seems excessive (given the poor quality of the device) and I am thinking of replacing ours with basic cycle computers, which are less expensive and more reliable.

Any comments, ideas, suggestions???

Default I have the same problem

We have 24 bikes all equiped with the Pilots. They are forever losing battery life--and don't forget the other batteries near the pedals for cadence which you can't get to easily! The price is about right--but you could try to search around bike maint. companies to offer a better quote. (not really worth a $20 saving for the time wasted on researching...) I'm not familiar with the computers you talk about--who makes those and how did you find out about them?
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by spinhookick View Post
    I am thinking of replacing ours with basic cycle computers, which are less expensive and more reliable.
    How could a "basic cycle computer" work on an indoor cycle?
    "If Ida seed youa comin Ida knowed what to do, Ida riz both arms and wove at you" ……….Ernest T Bass

Kelly

Yes we have had lots of trouble with Pilots but have resolved them and they are all now working. Number one of course, batteries on upper and lower units working? Number two, check the codes to make sure the lower unit can talk to the upper unit. Number three, after awhile sweat corodes the lower unit (take it apart and you will see). We replaced many of them (parts came from Asia) and it FINALLY took care of problems. We are looking into covering that area somehow to prevent further problems. Also, if anyone exchanges handlebars for any reason, the units can no longer talk to each other and you will loose the computers.

5. Default Pilots

I like the using the pilots. They add to an indoor class. I have encounter the same problems as the rest of the replies...batteries...corrosion on the bottom portion, the magnets not placed exactly, the codes being off..there has to be a simply way to maintain the equipment.

6. Default Pilot

Our club has 20 Lemond Revmaster Bikes and the Pilots are certainly a love hate relationship. We have cleaned the contacts and added double sided tape to the inside of the battery cover plate to ensure proper battery contact. This has allowed me to put away the phillips head screwdriver prior to class.

Quote Originally Posted by kszspin View Post
    How could a "basic cycle computer" work on an indoor cycle?
    You would have to be good with them but I have considered it many times. They have wired and wireless units. The pedal cadence would be pretty straight forward as its just a sensor and pickup. Pickup is zip tied to the pedal and the sensor stuck to the frame. Its similar for the front wheel for distance however you have to adjust the computer with the correct diameter. and figure out how to attach the pickup and sensor. the sensor is just a magnet so simply double sided tape. the pickup is usually zip tied to the fork on a wireless unit or to the rear triangle on a wired unit.

For 40.00 its worth a try. I have my own Lemond I picked up off craigslist for 600.

Shawn

I don't understand how the double sided tape helps get rid of the Phillips screwdriver...