Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart Rate Monitor Crossing

1. Question Heart Rate Monitor Crossing

Is it possible for heart rate monitors to interfere with one another in class? I was asked this question and have not seen it, but someone told me it happened. Has anyone else seen such a thing?

Absolutely. Polar sells a coded model that helps prevent cross-talk. It's a few dollars more than the basic model but well worth it.
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

Default Heart rate monitor crossing

It can happen w/ polar if they are too close to each other. Have them seperate the bikes & they should be fine. Sue

This actually used to happen quite often in one of the classes that I used to take but the bikes were usually too close together. Separating the bikes a bit more usually helps.

5. Default

Thanks for the info. We originally were going to set the bikes up in a very small space. We are now going to a bigger room.

Yesterday, I was cycling outdoors with a group of riders. All of sudden, one of the cyclist slowed, then stopped. His HR monitor was showing 217 bpm. It really concerned him. He wasn't breathing hard, didn't feel his heart pounding, etc. I told him it was probably an erronaneous reading.

Outdoors, are there other factors that cause an erronaneous reading?

Quote Originally Posted by markdmiller View Post
    Outdoors, are there other factors that cause an erronaneous reading?
    I have a friend who said his monitor would sometimes pick up interference from wireless cyclocomputers. He once said his heart rate monitor read 300 so he took his own pulse and realized he was OK. He then rode in a different spot away from the guy witht he cyclocomputer in his group ride and had no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RaffCycles View Post
    I have a friend who said his monitor would sometimes pick up interference from wireless cyclocomputers. He once said his heart rate monitor read 300 so he took his own pulse and realized he was OK. He then rode in a different spot away from the guy witht he cyclocomputer in his group ride and had no problem.
    One cyclist uses a garmin edge cyclocomputer. I'm not sure if it's wireless. But, I will ask.

9. Default

For me running outside under electrical wires can give my monitor a false reading. I have also been in races that are kinda crowded and get false readings from other competitors monitors.

Lightbulb Cross-Talk

When uncoded (or coded) monitors read a second transmitter it's called cross-talk. The uncoded Polar monitors will do it quite regularly if the proximity is a bit too close or if your transmitter battery is getting flat. The coded ones can also do it. When you start them up they choose one of about 30 frequencies and then the watch locks on. You can tell you got a coded signal if the flashing heart has an outline around it. No outline - not coded. Outlined = coded. If you get cross-talk with a coded unit you should stop the watch and restart it out of range of other transmitters. That usually works.
    cafehead

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cafehead View Post
    When uncoded (or coded) monitors read a second transmitter it's called cross-talk. The uncoded Polar monitors will do it quite regularly if the proximity is a bit too close or if your transmitter battery is getting flat. The coded ones can also do it. When you start them up they choose one of about 30 frequencies and then the watch locks on. You can tell you got a coded signal if the flashing heart has an outline around it. No outline - not coded. Outlined = coded. If you get cross-talk with a coded unit you should stop the watch and restart it out of range of other transmitters. That usually works.
    cafehead
    I've never had an issue with my coded model but thanks for the info. I'll know what to try if I ever have a problem. Thanks!
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast