Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New LeMond Bikes at Our Gym

dlr Guest

We have them raise the handlebars and seats, take all the resistance off the bikes and wipe the bikes down. This allows all the water that accumulates from the humidity of the room to dry off the seatposts and handlebar posts. When you air it out in the up position, they are less likely to corrode too, so they won't eventually become stuck in the down position, and then you are unable to move them at all!

These few things done are a must for preventative bike maintenance.

dlr
    in Chicago

Fletcher Guest

Thanks DLR!

bikerchick2 Guest

Default Maintanence and Cleaning

Subject: Re: How to properly Clean Bikes after class?we have lemond bikes too. we use a disinfectant (don't know what it is, but it's a dilution), which we spray on rags and then wipe down the seat and handle bars. we were told NOT to wipe down any of the chrome, including the wheel. these are to be cleaned with wd-40. it's also important to note that at all gyms i have worked at, i make sure people spray the rag/towel and not the bike, to prevent liquid trickling inside the bike joints. i have not seen rust spots before, but i have to imagine that it is the cleaner you are using...i checked the lemond revmaster website (http://www.lemondfitness.com/product..._schedule.html), and this is what it says under "maintenance." hope this helps: DailyPedals - ensure that the pedals are tight in crank arms; that all screws on pedals are tight; and that the pedal straps are not frayed Frame - wipe down the RevMaster after each use to remove sweat and moisture. Use soap and water, or a diluted non-abrasive cleaner solution. Rinse to remove detergent residue and then dry. Weekly Flywheel - wipe down the flywheel with WD-40®. This product will clean the surface of the flywheel and provide a protective barrier against moisture. Brake pad - inspect the brake pad for excessive wear or dryness. If necessary, lubricate the leather brake pad with 3-N-ONE® oil. Do not use silicone-based lubricants If the sponge padding is showing through the brake pad, replace the brake pad. MonthlyBelt - inspect for correct alignment and tension; replace cracked, frayed, or otherwise non-uniform belt Bottom bracket - inspect for side-to-side play in crank arms, and a grinding feeling in crank area when pedaling. The left bearing cup is adjustable, and over time may loosen. With a small rubber mallet, tap on the crank bolt on both sides If you see side to side movement you must remove the crank arm(s) and properly adjust the bearing cup(s). Click to view Bottom Bracket Adjustment Instructions. Handles - lubricate threads with multi-purpose grease Belt tensioner - screw lubricate around base of screw with multi-purpose grease

Velojunkie Guest

Thumbs up Lemond Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher
    Our Gym is planning to buy LeMond bikes to replace the Schwinns we have. I'm curious to hear from those who have them. Did you find resistance from your members and a loss of "panache" for your program not having Schwinn or Star Trac bikes? Also, I understand these bikes are belt driven. We used to have Keiser bikes that were belt driven, and it was a disaster! It was nearly impossible to adjust the tension evenly.

Thanks for your help.
    These bikes are belt "driven", which means they have a Kevlar belt instead of a bicycle chain, big improvement. Keisers where "belt resistance", The LeMond's use a felt pad pressed down by an adjustment knob for precise resistance adjustability. Believe me, you'll be happy with these bikes.

Prescott, AZ - At 5400' in the Ponderosa Pines and Home of the World's Oldest Rodeo (yeehaa!)

Default Lemond Drive Nice, But Aero Handlebars promote bad form

We have both the old Schwinn bike and mostly new Lemonds at our Y's facility. The Lemond seem to be "smoother" and require more turns to get the same resisitance, which is nice.

The problem that we encounter with them is that people put their elbows on Aero bars while in HP3 which seems to be contraindicated. And why the bars are not more like real bikes I have no clue. I like the "REAL" handlebars on Spinning bikes better.

Spinning In Prescott

Thumbs up lemond bike great for home...

i purchased a used lemond revmaster about 5 years ago from a refurb dealer, and i really like it for home use. the belt drive makes it extremely quiet, so i can roll it out into the living room, and watch tv with everyone, and it doesn't bother anyone. i think the heavier flywheel makes it pretty smooth, as well.

i've ridden schwinns, JG spinners, keisers, lemonds and v-bikes, and they're all pretty good - each has there good and bad points - but the one key thing for any of them is MAINTENANCE. without proper maintenance, they all become crap. its very irritating, as an instructor and a gym member, to see a facility neglecting the equipment by not implementing a decent maintenance program. unfortuantely it happens very often.

7. Default

Our LeMond bikes are a hit. We teach classes with the Pilots on the bikes for cadence and HR monitoring.

The Schwinn and Tomahawk bikes that are out on the fitness floor get used only if the LeMonds are all taken up.

We've had a few maintenance problems (one pedal fell off.) But other than that, they are great. They provide a much smoother ride than the Tomahawk and Schwinn models that we have. I think that is why the clients like them so much.

We've got 25 bikes at my club (it's a private country club). I initially pushed for the newest Schwinn bikes...we did get a great deal from our maintenance guy who got them from a convention down in Miami for less than half the price. The members did not "buy into them" since they didn't have a say in the purchase they of course did not like them. (we originally had the first bikes out by Schwinn) Anyways-we now have the Lemond. It's like comparing a Mini Coup to a Lexus! I personally do not like them. We've had them two years now and we do maintenance 2x/month, plus our floor staff wipes them down daily. They are constantly breaking down...clips, knobs, pedals...The belt is uneven--can't find a good gear-if you do it slips! We also have the pilot which is a cool toy if it works---constantly changing the batteries for the pilot and it is too difficult to reach the batteries for the cadence--these go all the time! They are awful-but I endure! I am the coordinator and I have to smile and fake that I like them---they didn't like the Schwinn which is the best bike!

Default bikes

To each his own. I think the Revmaster Lemmond bike is the absolute best bike. I teach at different clubs and on 3 different bikes. One, I won't name it, is garbage and it is one getting raves here. I think it is all in what you are comfortable on and what works for you. I like the fact that you can adjust so many things on the Rev by just a fraction rather than having to adjust to a specific "hole". However, as many have pointed out, without proper maintenance, no bike is worth anything.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lmostrov View Post
    We've got 25 bikes at my club (it's a private country club). I initially pushed for the newest Schwinn bikes...we did get a great deal from our maintenance guy who got them from a convention down in Miami for less than half the price. The members did not "buy into them" since they didn't have a say in the purchase they of course did not like them. (we originally had the first bikes out by Schwinn) Anyways-we now have the Lemond. It's like comparing a Mini Coup to a Lexus! I personally do not like them. We've had them two years now and we do maintenance 2x/month, plus our floor staff wipes them down daily. They are constantly breaking down...clips, knobs, pedals...The belt is uneven--can't find a good gear-if you do it slips! We also have the pilot which is a cool toy if it works---constantly changing the batteries for the pilot and it is too difficult to reach the batteries for the cadence--these go all the time! They are awful-but I endure! I am the coordinator and I have to smile and fake that I like them---they didn't like the Schwinn which is the best bike!
    So the original Schwinns are good? A relative of a friend of mine bought a few of the old Schwinns for next to nothing at an auction (gym going out of business), and I have the opportunity to buy one for $50. I hear they have a little rust around the bottom, but are well-maintained otherwise. I figured I'd go for it so I don't always have to set my trainer up inside to ride...what's $50, right? I'm glad to hear they are decent.

I have the old schwinn we auctioned off in my garage--got it for $30---it was great to put it in my driveway and take a ride using my ipod when the last hurricane hit and we were out of work with no electricity---still in good condition--keep it clean and greased!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast