Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New LeMond Bikes at Our Gym

camfay Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dlr View Post
    We were one of the first gyms to get the LeMond bikes. I am at a gym where they run at least 4 classes a day, and up to 7 classes a day on weekdays (up to 5 classes a day on weekends). We have about 72 bikes at our gym, and classes have not waned at all. We got the first gen LeMond bikes, which had some issues, but LeMond was very quick to resolve them. They are very proactive with contacting us about repairs and making sure our bikes are ok. We have maintenance staff that check the bikes every day, and as long as members do their bike to raise handlebars and seats, take all resistance off the bike, wipe the bike down, and report any problems they had with the bike, we can keep them going indefinitely. They look as good as the first day we bought them, and we've had them for several years now (I want to say we got them in 2000 or 2001, can't remember).

The first reception with the bikes were negative. People really liked the spin bikes, but I believe it was because they were lazy and generally didn't use enough resistance (some used none at all!). With belt driven bikes, you have to use SOME kind of resistance, and you can't cheat. So people at least began to get a better workout by switching to the new bikes. In the beginning people complained, including instructors, until our coordinator had a meeting and said if any instructor couldn't deal with the new bikes, they could leave. No one left. The instructors came to love the bikes over time, we promoted the bikes to the members, and the members eventually accepted the bikes. I like it, but they are comparable to the Star Trac belt driven bikes, so I'm all good with either.

When the bikes first came, they took all the instructors and gave us a comprehensive training with teaching with the bike. They also gave us a manual too and a video. I thought it was a solid beginning, but they need to do more for education if they expect to compete. Still, I don't really associate with any one program- I have my own way, and it works for me and my riders, and I can move seamlessly from one club to the next without worrying about what one certification vs. another does. Back on topic, if they offer training for instructors, take it. It's good stuff.

Good luck. Don't be afraid of LeMond bikes. They are not too bad at all. I've never had problems personally with the bikes, and our club is going strong after so many years with the bikes.

dlr
    in Chicago
    I am new to Le Mond bikes. I like the SPIN ones and Schwinn, but I am having trouble adjusting to Le Mond. I asked my coordinator for some education regarding set-up, etc. All she did was say that it was the same as all other bikes. I don't believe that is true and I really feel like I need more info regarding the bikes. Do you know anywhere I can get some educational materials? Also, they feel really cheap to me. I always feel like I am going to break the plastic handles to change the bike positions. I am having a hard time adjusting.

Default Ehhh...

I have a mixed review for the LeMonds; my gym used to have Reebok bikes that were way old and basically falling apart, so in one sense these are a vast improvement. I also like that you can slide the handlebars backwards and forwards--that extra point of adjustment is great for people like me with shorter arms!

On the other hand, I HATE the plastic levers that are used to adjust the seat, handlebar height, etc.--people often over-tighten them and it can be next to impossible to loosen them (I admit I have resort to lightly kicking the lever with my foot to get it to budge!). It frustrates the members, too.

I also feel like the LeMond sets me up differently from the Reebok bikes and the StarTrac I used in my Spinning orientation--am I crazy? The handlebars are in such a weird position. Having not received specific training for this bike, I am wondering why they were built this way. Any ideas?
    /

Prescott, AZ - At 5400' in the Ponderosa Pines and Home of the World's Oldest Rodeo (yeehaa!)

Default LeMond Hand Position Handout

From SpinningJenny: <<
    I also feel like the LeMond sets me up differently from the Reebok bikes and the StarTrac I used in my Spinning orientation--am I crazy? The handlebars are in such a weird position. Having not received specific training for this bike, I am wondering why they were built this way. Any ideas? >>>

Here's a handout that I got from Lemond on how to use their handlebars...

PS

P.S. We are constantly having issues with our LeMond bikes in terms of maintenance...our 6 month old bikes are having various issues including: stripped seat post screws, many loose cranks including one that stripped out...etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Spinning In Prescott, AZ

Patrick Schutte
    MDA Star Level 3 Certified Nutcase
    RealRyder Certified

www.SpinningInPrescott.com

My blog: http://blog.prescott-area-foreclosures.com

I teach on the LeMond bikes at one club and I really don't care for them. They are unstable for a 180lb rider like me,, the bars are just wrong, and resistance is difficult to really dial in. I also feel top heavy on them as well. But, I look at it this way, I raced against Greg as a youth, We began our journey together. He tormented me with his talent then and now, It has come back full circle, what a way to end the journey. I can only wonder what's next.

Default Satisfaction

You might take some satisfaction from the fact he's ended up endorsing a donkey of a bike. Things will be different when we release the SpinDaddyBasher and the CafeRacerStatic *evil laugh*

This port from the transit lounge at Changi airport - Singapore. That's either how much I love you all - or there's nothing else to do...

Gotta go find my wife. I left her sleeping behind a pot plant. I put a upside down hat next to her and seeded it with a few dollars. We might make some international coin...

Let's see LeMon_de try that...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123