Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New LeMond Bikes at Our Gym

Fletcher Guest

Default New LeMond Bikes at Our Gym

Our Gym is planning to buy LeMond bikes to replace the Schwinns we have. I'm curious to hear from those who have them. Did you find resistance from your members and a loss of "panache" for your program not having Schwinn or Star Trac bikes? Also, I understand these bikes are belt driven. We used to have Keiser bikes that were belt driven, and it was a disaster! It was nearly impossible to adjust the tension evenly.

Thanks for your help.

The Lemond Bikes seemed very cool to me as well as a bunch of other instructors when we were auditioning new bikes for our clubs about 1 1/2 ago but the management went with STAR TRAC by Reebok which has been very reliable and well received. I can't remember if they were belt driven or chain driven but they rode smooth.
    Mike

Nipsi98 Guest

Star Trac by Reebok???

I don't get that reply at all. While i agree the name is cheezy (no disrespect Cheeze) I didn't name the bikes I was just giving out some info and I am sure there are trekkies who took offense to that!!! LOL

Mike
    Star Trac are a Reebok product right??? ( I was sure until I read Nipsi's post, now I am questioning my sanity just a little bit)
    Last edited by ramirez_m; 07-28-2004 at 06:21 PM. Reason: add on

Angel Guest

I personally do not like the LeMond bikes. At least the one's I've tried. The belt driven resistance was extremely uneven. They would slip all the time and the pedal stroke was inconsistant. I felt like I either had too much resistance or not enough. There was always a bike out of commission and some would squeek. I actually like the new Schwinn Evolutions even better than the Star Trac's. Just my opinion.
    Angel

dlr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher
    Our Gym is planning to buy LeMond bikes to replace the Schwinns we have. I'm curious to hear from those who have them. Did you find resistance from your members and a loss of "panache" for your program not having Schwinn or Star Trac bikes? Also, I understand these bikes are belt driven. We used to have Keiser bikes that were belt driven, and it was a disaster! It was nearly impossible to adjust the tension evenly.

Thanks for your help.
    We were one of the first gyms to get the LeMond bikes. I am at a gym where they run at least 4 classes a day, and up to 7 classes a day on weekdays (up to 5 classes a day on weekends). We have about 72 bikes at our gym, and classes have not waned at all. We got the first gen LeMond bikes, which had some issues, but LeMond was very quick to resolve them. They are very proactive with contacting us about repairs and making sure our bikes are ok. We have maintenance staff that check the bikes every day, and as long as members do their bike to raise handlebars and seats, take all resistance off the bike, wipe the bike down, and report any problems they had with the bike, we can keep them going indefinitely. They look as good as the first day we bought them, and we've had them for several years now (I want to say we got them in 2000 or 2001, can't remember).

The first reception with the bikes were negative. People really liked the spin bikes, but I believe it was because they were lazy and generally didn't use enough resistance (some used none at all!). With belt driven bikes, you have to use SOME kind of resistance, and you can't cheat. So people at least began to get a better workout by switching to the new bikes. In the beginning people complained, including instructors, until our coordinator had a meeting and said if any instructor couldn't deal with the new bikes, they could leave. No one left. The instructors came to love the bikes over time, we promoted the bikes to the members, and the members eventually accepted the bikes. I like it, but they are comparable to the Star Trac belt driven bikes, so I'm all good with either.

When the bikes first came, they took all the instructors and gave us a comprehensive training with teaching with the bike. They also gave us a manual too and a video. I thought it was a solid beginning, but they need to do more for education if they expect to compete. Still, I don't really associate with any one program- I have my own way, and it works for me and my riders, and I can move seamlessly from one club to the next without worrying about what one certification vs. another does. Back on topic, if they offer training for instructors, take it. It's good stuff.

Good luck. Don't be afraid of LeMond bikes. They are not too bad at all. I've never had problems personally with the bikes, and our club is going strong after so many years with the bikes.

dlr
    in Chicago

I like our LeMonds. I think the ones they have now are even better than the first round that we bought last year. The biggest problem is inconsistency in resistance from one bike to the next, but it's not a big deal. And the ones we just got in don't seem to have the same problem so maybe they fixed it.

I'm pretty short so I appreciate the little adjustments that can be made to get a good fit.

Angel Guest

I think dlr hit the nail on the head. Maintenance can mean everything. Though I've heard several complaints about the LeMond bikes on another forum so maybe you just need to take care of them more closely. Though my husband rode some the other day (he travels quite a bit) and he loved them. He said they were much better than the one's we have here. I think they are very similar to the Star Trac bikes. I sub at a club with the Star Trac's and personally find that they are a little smoother. Could be maintenance once again though with the rust all over these I don't think so.

dlr - I think you're right. People get lazy with the resistance and they also don't like change. We just got the Schwinn Evolutions which I love, but yes, I am now having a problem with people not riding with enough resistance. I've tried everything in my opinion. Is there something you suggest to help with this?? AUUGgg!
    Angel

Fletcher Guest

I am sad that I even have to ask this, and I'm not sure if anyone can even answer it, but any thought on which bikes do best with, shall we say, "deferred maintenance?" We've had the Schwinns for 2 years now, and even some of those are starting to break down. Our gym has been extremely lax about maintenance, and although I'd like to think that is going to change, I'm not betting my life on it! I'm concerned how the Le Monds will do with neglect.

dlr Guest

The best thing I think you can do is emphasize to your gym that you've got a fresh start. It doesn't take a lot to maintain them, and you guys should definitely be vigilent with the members about having them do their part. It is not any stretch for the members to raise the handlebars and seats, take all the resistance off the bike, and wipe the bike down, as well as the floor around it. Encourage the gyms to put a spray bottle next to each bike (with a weakly diluted soap for the members to use to clean), and make it the responsibility of the instructors to remind members after every class to do this, as well as have the instructors ask the members to report any problems they had with the bike. Then, have the instructor walk around and ensure that every bike has been cleaned down and that the handlebars and seats are raised and the resistance is off the bike. Finally, just have the gym come around at least once a week just to make sure there aren't any problems with the bikes. There should be a maintenance sheet in the room for the instructors to fill out any problems the members reported, and whoever is doing the maintenance can just come in once a week and check the maintenance logs. If any repairs need to be done, they can do it at this time, or they can call the Rev folks if it's out of their scope.

One good thing about the Rev folks is that they do call in periodically to check on the bikes. So even if your gym sucks with maintenance, they will be forced to check everything and report back on the condition of the bikes. To be honest, I don't know if they do this for every gym, but they do it for ours. Rev folks have been very good to us- this week, they are sending Robbie Ventura over to our gym to teach a class in honor of Lance Armstrong's Tour de France win, and all instructors are invited to attend this class and get the opportunity to listen to Robbie talk about teamwork and how to instruct groups of people for maximum performance. Go Rev!

dlr
    in Chicago

Fletcher Guest

Thanks! Some good ideas. Just out of curiousity, why do you have everyone raise the handlebars and seats? I've never heard about this before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast