Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Inconvienient Truth

Default An Inconvienient Truth

If you have not seen this yet, I strongly recommend you rent it. I waited until I could watch it on a plane uninterrupted with external distractions. It is a very engaging and poignent look into the real crisis for the world, global warming.

Remember that in 2000, Al Gore received more votes for president in the US than our "elected" president. You wonder what happens to a relatively young man who sees his lifelong dream taken by a system of lawsuits and ridiculous balloting escapades in Florida. Amazingly enough, Gore's role in life is much more relevant that the person elected to be a leader of the free world. Gore is trying to get the world to just renew itself.

With the revelation this morning about the polar bears becomming an endangered species, the present administration has had to acknowledge the existance of the global warming reality. Take 2 hours of your time and sit and watch this film. Watch it alone without distractions so you can use your own reasoning skills.

Scared the cynicism out of my dumb ass.

Lizardbiker Guest

Maybe Al Gore can invent a global reboot (or restore to last known good configuration) to go with his invention of the internet.

veespin Guest

Watched this on Christmas Eve. I wouldn't ordinarily have bothered since I don't usually look too hard to be convinced of what I'm already pretty sure about, but one of daughter's cronies came over for dinner and brought it with her. I agree with AC.....and then some.

Such an ability to understand and explain complex topics......as big a contrast to our current leader as you could possibly imagine.

Vivienne

Alaricnj Guest

Default Gore 2008!!!

This documentary was wonderful. I must say that I’ve gained much respect for Al Gore after watching this. This should be watched by everyone – and viewed in classrooms around the world to show how destructive we are to our environment.

This documentary clearly shows without a shadow of doubt that we have a serious problem in our world.

I watched this then I watched the documentary “Who killed the electric car?” which is also a very good documentary to watch, it amazes me how much power Oil Company have on us.

The government always say the following “We need to depend less on foreign oil”. Well I think the correct line should be “We need to depend less on all Oil.” They would never say that line since they are all in bed with them.

After watching this I really hope one day Gore decides to run again; I would love to see him run – I’d donate a bunch of time to help his campaign. He has much passion in his voice on this subject and other political issues; you just know he truly cares about the US and the world.

Mike

Thirty years ago, we were headed into another ice age.

Now... Global warming.

The big question is not whether global warming exists, but whether or not human activity is causing it and whether or not we're simply in the middle of some natural climatic anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    Thirty years ago, we were headed into another ice age.

Now... Global warming.

The big question is not whether global warming exists, but whether or not human activity is causing it and whether or not we're simply in the middle of some natural climatic anomaly.
    There was a crisis with the ozone a while back. Aerosol can manufacturers stopped using flouro-carbon gasses. The ozone renewed. The point in the presentation is that without a doubt, humans are the cause of what is happenning now. The changes in the ice caps, diminished sizes of glaciers from satellite photography...the visual proof. And confirmed by the administration this week in relation to the labeling of polar bears as endangered species.

At some point, people may finally stop politicising this issue. Time to turn off Rush Limbaugh on this one and listen to some scientists. Not one denies that we are in a state of global warming, it's the pace of the crisis left to debate. I'd rather see common sense changes happen sooner than later.

See the DVD..then just state what the disagreement would be.

It's easy to poke fun at Gore. He's delivering a message that no one really wants to hear. Better to listen to his evidence. See how much fun you want to make of him now.

megale3 Guest

Default Someone pass me the sun block 2000

I think that we all need to consider the bike a new convience. I hope that someday we will be out of work cause everyone uses them for transportation-work to eat
    work to eat
    eat to live
    live to bike
    bike to work
    Your kids deserve a future
    Meg
    Last edited by megale3; 12-29-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Lizardbiker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by megale3 View Post
    I think that we all need to consider the bike a new convience. I hope that someday we will be out of work cause everyone uses them for transportation-work to eat
    eat to live
    live to bike
    bike to work
    Your kids deserve a future
    Meg
    I like that saying! Is that a Meg original? I want to give proper credit when I steal it

megale3 Guest

Its a BTA ( Bicycle Transportation Alliance) saying here in Portland I wish I had
    Meg

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
    Hmmm interesting timing for Gore, we don't have another election coming up in the near future do we? He lays low at the last election, just peeking his head up above water every now and then so we don't forget about him. Now he draws attention to this problem (which I agree there is one) and then he proposes what should be done and then he has enough time to make an improvement and has the proof that it was indeed his doing and well then he can be our hero! And what do you know by Nov '08 people are just begging for him to run for president.

I don't know just a thought. It's a very clever tactic I will say.

OH alright I'll go see it, I guess I'll have to mute it and read the captions (gross smiley)
    However, he was well aware of global warming before his run for the presidency. He had been active in environmental issues for years and years. What ticked me off during his campaign was how obviously he allowed himself to be handled, rarely allowing the real Gore to show through. So much so I often wondered who the real Gore was.

Meanwhile, I'm still driving my 3 year old Prius and pretending I'm making a difference.
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

Quote Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
    Hmmm interesting timing for Gore, we don't have another election coming up in the near future do we? He lays low at the last election, just peeking his head up above water every now and then so we don't forget about him. Now he draws attention to this problem (which I agree there is one) and then he proposes what should be done and then he has enough time to make an improvement and has the proof that it was indeed his doing and well then he can be our hero! And what do you know by Nov '08 people are just begging for him to run for president.

I don't know just a thought. It's a very clever tactic I will say.

OH alright I'll go see it, I guess I'll have to mute it and read the captions (gross smiley)
    Don't forget, when we did vote, he got more than the person annointed president by the Supreme Court.

With a 29% approval rating with the present occupant, should we be so cynical when intelligent people aspire for the office? Or, as Steven Colbert puts it, 71% approve of the job he isn't doing.

I'm in England this week. I visited France also. Our dollar has almost no value over here. Our president is mocked at every opportunity here. I would say, the heck with them, but we all occupy the world together. We have little moral standing lately with common people. You wonder how we squandered the moral high ground of 9-11. Our country should stand for more than just a military force. We're going to need more competant leadership to solve a lot of complex problems. It has nothing to do with liberalism or conservatism. It's more of an urgency for competance.

So..just watch the film. Then add a comment.

And read this...which is more frightening.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16390346/
    Last edited by ACinNJ; 12-29-2006 at 07:13 PM. Reason: adding a link

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast