Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the right way to say goodbye

SpnLdy8 Guest

Default the right way to say goodbye

I start graduate school next month.
    With this , I have to give up a class.
    ( I currently teach 4 classes and with this I will go down to 3 )
    It is my Tuesday night class.
    I have been teaching the class for over 2 years now and I have built up
    a nice group of people who really look forward to riding with me.
    I know some riders will have a problem with this as they don't like some of the other instructors ( and I don't blame them as some instructors are not teaching Reaction Cycling and ARE stretching on the bike ).The good news to this is that there is training in November and hopefully my primary Bally
    will have 2 candidates that will have gone through training and hopefully will do what is necessary to teach a good class.
    I teach a safe and effective ride and play by the rules.
    I would like everyone to suggest the right words to say goodbye
    and how to do it .
    There are 3 more Tuesdays left in October .
    Do I say it this Tuesday ?
    Do I wait until 2 weeks ?
    Or do I just say goodbye on Halloween.

I will encourage the riders to see me Sunday morning
    or Thursday evenings and to ride with the other instructors.

I am kind of sad about this , but as Madonna has said
    in her confessions CD "Are You READY to JUMP ?"
    and I have to JUMP by increasing my education for my real career.

Thanks -
    Becky

First off, Bally's could close their doors at any time. You would be wise to diversify your schedule anyway and not put your eggs in 1 basket.I taught at BTF for a 5 year run at 6AM twice a week and Satrudays. I left about a year ago. They replaced me with someone else and life went on.

Whenever you get these kind of feelings, put on "New Kid In Town" by the Eagles. "They will never forget you till somebody new comes along".

3. Default tell now

just my opinion, but if it were my group i would tell them now.

participants grieve in different ways: anger , disbelief , shock etc.(sort of like a real death). "Their" instructor is leaving them,,,how can they do that????

life changes for us all,,,,let them know you will miss them dearly and have grown to love them,,,,,but remember,,,you're there at other times and they can come see you at those times(all though, that may not appease some of them).
    end it with,,,,,your last class is going to be a party on the bikes and make it fun and festive!!! have a ball with them @ your last class, make 'em laugh and work! They'll never forget you and your awesome teaching!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

Becky, congratulations on moving on to Graduate school... it's true, they'll miss you but they'll move on quicker than we would like to think.

Give them as much time as you can so they're prepared for the new instructor. They will understand that this is an opportunity to better yourself, don't look back girl!

Good luck
    Alex
    "All you touch and all you see is what your life will ever be." ~Pink Floyd~

megale3 Guest

Default Smooth transition

Tell them your schedule and let them know that you are doing this as a step in your career. Take a craft of coffee with you for some conversational drink after class and make it a possitive exspierence and praise them for their hard work Make the other instructors change (as you do yours) easier and toast the new instructor that must fill your shoes.
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by SpnLdy8 View Post
    ..and I don't blame them as some instructors are not teaching Reaction Cycling and ARE stretching on the bike
    I'll bet those bastards drink their milk right out of the carton and put it back in the refrigerator, too!

megale3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    I'll bet those bastards drink their milk right out of the carton and put it back in the refrigerator, too!
    I bet they don't close the lid though....

Just me now........I would wait until Halloween night. You don't need to hear a pity party the next two weeks about you quitting. Just lay down what your doing and give them the altenatives for that Tuesday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd S View Post
    And I bet you think opening a soda can, drinking half and putting it back in the fridge is funny too? Or opening a package of Twinkies and eating one? Or eating the rose from the birthday cake and it's not YOUR BIRTHDAY?

Huh Buster?

I say you know your class better than we do if your gut says to stay quiet then do so but I imagine you want to tell them during the next class since you will continue to teach there on other days. They will survive - some will like the new instructor some won't - they will make their own choices whether to continue going to class. Don't sweat it! - Joy

raptor Guest

Imagining myself as a rider in your class, I would want all the time possible to change my schedule if possible. Repeat your notice every class for the irregular regulars. Reserve your best ride for the last class, or give them something entirely new. Other ideas for making it a celebration/thank-you also apply. I'd seriously consider a parting gift of some kind, but might not be able to come up with one. Maybe a CD of their favorite ride of yours.

Lynn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast