Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregancy

Hey Marnster, that'll be a great time to work on the off the bike teaching and motivational skills.

They'll lap it up!

I did this the other day with my class (not that I'm pregnant) but wanted to make sure they were prepping for their race day. As they were riding I was telling them what the rules would be for race day - I'm actually setting them up in teams and will declare a winner - they'll get prizes (but they don't know that bit). It's amazing how much their form changed as I weaved in and out the bikes, being positive when they made a good change. I don't do it too often as they like to have me riding but the time was right.
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by EuroD View Post
    Hey Marnster, that'll be a great time to work on the off the bike teaching and motivational skills.

They'll lap it up!

I did this the other day with my class (not that I'm pregnant) but wanted to make sure they were prepping for their race day. As they were riding I was telling them what the rules would be for race day - I'm actually setting them up in teams and will declare a winner - they'll get prizes (but they don't know that bit). It's amazing how much their form changed as I weaved in and out the bikes, being positive when they made a good change. I don't do it too often as they like to have me riding but the time was right.
    Great advice, Euro. I'm sure this will help me to grow as an instructor (by learning off the bike coaching and honing my motivational cuing/skills) and give me personal experience when working with pregnant women in my classes, now and in the future! It's the uncertainty of it all that is scary, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by marnster View Post
    PS: BTW, I've been wanting to ask, what is "Dress for the slide"?
    The full quote is "dress for the slide, not the ride"
    If you had to jump from a moving vehicle, how would you dress for the jump? Would your clothing reflect the weather that day, or the worst-case scenario? Even at a modest 30 mph it is still likely to hurt, even with the gear. But imagine how bad it'd hurt if you were wearing your swimsuit (or what might as well be equivalent).

It's wearing a jacket, long pants, gloves, over the ankle shoes, and a full face helmet as opposed to a tank top, shorts, sketchers, bare hands and a bucket on your head.
    Pay attention as you drive as to how many MC riders dress for the slide or dress for the ride. Around here it's like one out of every ten I see every day. Astounding.
    "If Ida seed youa comin Ida knowed what to do, Ida riz both arms and wove at you" ……….Ernest T Bass

Kelly

4. Default

Having JUST found out I was pregnant this past Tuesday (my one and only baby is 13 years old ) this is a very interesting and timely topic for me. I have been reading up on it today and found that core temp is a concern, as well as heart rate. It is suggested to take your temp with a rectal thermometer during a long run (or other exercise) to make sure it doesn't go higher than 101F. Hmmmm, I wonder how my class would feel about me doing this midway through the ride. Of course, I could always squat behind the stereo cabinet. JFK, I would just be curious about your thoughts on the 101 degree rule? Of course I am going to check with my doc.

YAHOO, Marnster! Congratualations and best wishes!!!!
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

Having JUST found out I was pregnant this past Tuesday (my one and only baby is 13 years old ) this is a very interesting and timely topic for me. I have been reading up on it today and found that core temp is a concern, as well as heart rate. It is suggested to take your temp with a rectal thermometer during a long run (or other exercise) to make sure it doesn't go higher than 101F. Hmmmm, I wonder how my class would feel about me doing this midway through the ride. Of course, I could always squat behind the stereo cabinet. JFK, I would just be curious about your thoughts on the 101 degree rule? Of course I am going to check with my doc.
    I'm getting a visual! Congrats! I love babies!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I can lend you a flexible rectal probe from the lab...you can have your core temp real-time.

I would recommend Dr. Clapp's book on exercising through pregnancy. I don't know any specific temps for pregnancy, though I do know that a concern for pregnancy is that the fetus cannot dissipate excess heat terribly effectively, so you don't want to get too hot. But as long as you are dissipating heat well (make sure you are exercising in a temperate environment and that you are well hydrated) you should both be fine. Good luck and may you have a healthy and uneventful pregnancy!
    Jennifer K. (Glyco-Jen)
    Ph.D., Exercise Physiology
    CT, USA

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! I can lend you a flexible rectal probe from the lab...you can have your core temp real-time.
    Normally this quote would bring forth a series of wise ass remarks, however, next week I'm having a colonoscopy so I probably will just let this one go by.

But...the prospect of a flexible loaner rectal probe is an untapped vein of comedy.

Do you need a deposit? Do you accept Asstercard?
    If the probe is flexible, does that mean it's not going with anyone steady?

You see...stuff like this...but I will not go there.
    AC - Due to extreme high call volume, you may experience delays.

raptor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kszspin View Post
    Speaking of dreams.....

I had one the other night and Lynn (raptor) was in it . Funny though, he did not look at all like his picture! I think when we (pedal-oners) begin to have dreams with each other in them, it's a red flag to join Funhog's pedal-on aholic group.
    !

Do I dare ask what I was doing? Did I look like George Clooney? (Oh wait, I already do. )

Lynn

raptor Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ACinNJ View Post
    Normally this quote would bring forth a series of wise ass remarks, however, next week I'm having a colonoscopy so I probably will just let this one go by.

But...the prospect of a flexible loaner rectal probe is an untapped vein of comedy.

Do you need a deposit? Do you accept Asstercard?
    If the probe is flexible, does that mean it's not going with anyone steady?

You see...stuff like this...but I will not go there.
    I will! What line of work did you say you're in again, JFK? Something to do with indoor recreation and sweating?

(Congrats Marnster!)

Lynn

1. Riding a bike (indoor)
    2. No

Funny thing was, in my dream you said your real name isn't really Lynn, it is Bruce , you just use Lynn on the forum to mess with us.
    Anyone here a psychologist, and wanna take a shot at interpreting that one?
    "If Ida seed youa comin Ida knowed what to do, Ida riz both arms and wove at you" ……….Ernest T Bass

Kelly

In my dreams, I dream about real women with artificial body parts. It's a yin-yang thing. If I touch something fake in a dream, does that disrupt the flow of fung-shui in my dojo? Or is it art imitating life?

So many questions to ponder before I take an Ambien.
    AC - Due to extreme high call volume, you may experience delays.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast