Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregancy

1. Default Marathon While Pregnant?

Quote Originally Posted by jsejt View Post
    I ran a marathon pregnant, and I was always told to watch my HR. My doc told me to wear a HR monitor.
    How many months pregnant and why? In addition to the risk an elevated heart rate for an extended period of time places on the baby, I'd also be concerned about injury to the mother. Although I'm not an expert on pregnancy, I do know that the woman's hips start to open up in preparation for the baby sliding down the birth canal. This opening can play havoc with the runner's gait, leading to potential hip or knee injuries.

Runners in our running club have cumulatively completed over 600 marathons, but none of them while pregnant. I would personally counsel anyone training to complete a marathon while pregnant to not do it. We had one very determined runner complete Boston after giving birth on Thanksgiving - 4 months from the time she had her baby to conquering Heartbreak Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by billpierce View Post
    How many months pregnant and why? <<I was 4 months, had already been training, and was a complete zealot.>>>

In addition to the risk an elevated heart rate for an extended period of time places on the baby,<<in total agreement>>>

I'd also be concerned about injury to the mother.<<don't agree here, I'd been training for over 6 months>>

Although I'm not an expert on pregnancy, I do know that the woman's hips start to open up in preparation for the baby sliding down the birth canal. <<Was 4 months, and my doctor was monitoring the situation>>

This opening can play havoc with the runner's gait, leading to potential hip or knee injuries.<<<Ran & walked the Monster>>>

Runners in our running club have cumulatively completed over 600 marathons, but none of them while pregnant. I would personally counsel anyone training to complete a marathon while pregnant to not do it.<<your opinion, and your entitled to it.>>

We had one very determined runner complete Boston after giving birth on Thanksgiving - 4 months from the time she had her baby to conquering Heartbreak Hill.

In a nutshell, wouldn't personally ever do it again. I was fine, son was fine, training fine. But, I can understand your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by megale3 View Post
    I am sure we can send AC down there to figure that out on the birthday Also using any names from the pedal oners is strictly prohibited -we had an out break of childern being called "Pro" ,"Leg" and "Elvis" many paternity suits were filed and needless to say no child support was given but what a mess and again all moms and babies are doing fine. Woops feeding time -Pictures later
    Best
    Meg
    Good night Mike, what in the he** did you eat for breakfast! Was this in a dream??
    "If Ida seed youa comin Ida knowed what to do, Ida riz both arms and wove at you" ……….Ernest T Bass

Kelly

Speaking of dreams.....

I had one the other night and Lynn (raptor) was in it . Funny though, he did not look at all like his picture! I think when we (pedal-oners) begin to have dreams with each other in them, it's a red flag to join Funhog's pedal-on aholic group.
    "If Ida seed youa comin Ida knowed what to do, Ida riz both arms and wove at you" ……….Ernest T Bass

Kelly

Having JUST found out I was pregnant this past Tuesday (my one and only baby is 13 years old ) this is a very interesting and timely topic for me. I have been reading up on it today and found that core temp is a concern, as well as heart rate. It is suggested to take your temp with a rectal thermometer during a long run (or other exercise) to make sure it doesn't go higher than 101F. Hmmmm, I wonder how my class would feel about me doing this midway through the ride. Of course, I could always squat behind the stereo cabinet. JFK, I would just be curious about your thoughts on the 101 degree rule? Of course I am going to check with my doc.

megale3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marnster View Post
    Having JUST found out I was pregnant this past Tuesday (my one and only baby is 13 years old ) this is a very interesting and timely topic for me. I have been reading up on it today and found that core temp is a concern, as well as heart rate. It is suggested to take your temp with a rectal thermometer during a long run (or other exercise) to make sure it doesn't go higher than 101F. Hmmmm, I wonder how my class would feel about me doing this midway through the ride. Of course, I could always squat behind the stereo cabinet. JFK, I would just be curious about your thoughts on the 101 degree rule? Of course I am going to check with my doc.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Hey Mike, thanks a lot I am still in shock...

Thumbs up

Congrats Marster!

I had a lady in my class who gave birth within the last month. She cycled all the way up until 2 days before she had her. As mentioned it is very personal, and everyone feels different things. My cyclist was on the bike the whole time, stood when she felt like it, worked her cadence and resistance as needed and maintained good hydration. It does come down to common sense. She was really in tune with her body, looked AMAZING the whole time, and quite frankly inspired not only my participants but me too.
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify

Manster, big hugs from Dothan!
    You gave me a good laugh on the thermometer, as well as a visual that'll try to erase from my brain (thanks alot ) so you don't end up in my dreams tonight!

Happy pregnancy .

Kelly

Hey Euro,
    That is so encouraging to read! My biggest concern is being able to instruct my classes without everyone focusing on me being pregnant. In other words, I want to motivate my riders and still be a good instructor even though I won't be able to work at the same level (ie: race day rides or anaerobic intervals).

Kelly, thanks so much. Life is full of surprises!

PS: BTW, I've been wanting to ask, what is "Dress for the slide"?
    Last edited by marnster; 09-14-2006 at 01:45 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast