Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregancy

caroline Guest

Default Pregancy

What are the guidelines on this?

If a client has been spinning for months and is pregnant can they acrry on and what are the sfaety restrictions, i can remember reading something in a fit pro mag a few months ago but my mind has gone blank.

I know 140bpm should be adhered to, im ante and postnatal fitness trained just wanted to know if it was different in spinning!

megale3 Guest

Only her doctor can say what is Ok for her. Not a bunch of us yahhoo's on a I/D cycling forum But as I know it the current thought on intensity is RPE and not BPM
    Meg

caroline Guest

Default Found It

Question: I have been taking Spinning classes for several years. Can I continue to take classes now that I am pregnant?

Answer: The intensity of Spinning classes may be too high, depending on the level of resistance you choose as well as the amount of time you spend on the bike in one session. So, while I would not recommend starting a Spinning class during pregnancy, if you are already used to Spinning and want to continue, here are some safety measures to reduce your risk of injury:
    • Stay well-hydrated.
    • Spin no more than 30 minutes in a session.
    • Lower the resistance to lower the intensity. Be sure you can talk while you are exercising.
    • Listen to your body. Slow down when you get tired and stop when you feel fatigued.
    • If you feel any discomfort in your knees, stop Spinning while you are pregnant and walk or swim instead. Knees are more vulnerable to injury during pregnancy.
    • Eat an adequate number of calories to offset calories burned during exercise.
    • Consult your health care provider.

Body image is a concern for all pregnant women, but especially for those women who regularly exercised to attain optimal body proportions before pregnancy. During pregnancy, exercise goals need to change to assure a healthy pregnancy. The enlarged belly and increased fat deposits on the hips and thighs are necessary adaptations for fetal development and protection.

A positive attitude toward these physical changes allows the pregnant woman to modify exercise appropriately and enjoy this very special time in her life. The good news is, studies show that women who continue to exercise through pregnancy usually reach their prepregnancy proportions sooner after delivery than their sedentary counterparts.

Women who exercise consistently during pregnancy can resume exercise postpartum as early as two weeks after delivery, assuming that they experienced a normal vaginal delivery with no complications. Exercising postpartum women have shown to have a more rapid recovery both physically and emotionally than women who do not exercise postpartum. The incidence of postpartum depression is also low.

In addition to exercise, eating nutritiously is an important part of the equation in assuring a healthy pregnancy. Pregnant women need to eat adequately and regularly to assure that the baby is getting enough glucose to sustain growth.

megale3 Guest

Errrr OK

Quote Originally Posted by caroline View Post
    Answer: The intensity of Spinning classes may be too high, depending on the level of resistance you choose as well as the amount of time you spend on the bike in one session.
    Obviously whoever is the author of this statement in whatever "fit pro mag" you are referrring to doesn't realize that the intensity is achieved through resistance and cadence, and NOT just time spent on the bike. Keeping your bike session to 30 minutes is too general a statement to make for ALL pregnant women. If she is already a regular rider, then why should she have to cut duration down to 30 min? She's pregnant not injuried or sick.
    Adequate hydration, yes that's essential. Being comfortable, absolutely. Later in pregnancy as the baby grows, she may need to modify positions on the bike.
    Working at an intensity that is aerobic, of course.
    "If Ida seed youa comin Ida knowed what to do, Ida riz both arms and wove at you" ……….Ernest T Bass

Kelly

I had one very fit rider who rode while carrying twins (she was a twin herself) until a few weeks before delivery. She had Doctor's permission and kept comfortably aerobic for the full workout - 1 hour including WU and CD. I always kept an eye on her and when she started really showing (PC for big) I cautioned her to stay in the saddle more and made sure that she was able to keep her balance when she came out.

Quote Originally Posted by billpierce View Post
    I had one very fit rider who rode while carrying twins (she was a twin herself) until a few weeks before delivery. She had Doctor's permission and kept comfortably aerobic for the full workout - 1 hour including WU and CD. I always kept an eye on her and when she started really showing (PC for big) I cautioned her to stay in the saddle more and made sure that she was able to keep her balance when she came out.
    I ran a marathon pregnant, and I was always told to watch my HR. My doc told me to wear a HR monitor. I had a lady recently take my spin, 1st I told her to check with her OB, and 2nd I told her my experience and said, "watch the HR." She had been spinning a while, not a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by caroline View Post
    What are the guidelines on this?

If a client has been spinning for months and is pregnant can they acrry on and what are the sfaety restrictions, i can remember reading something in a fit pro mag a few months ago but my mind has gone blank.

I know 140bpm should be adhered to, im ante and postnatal fitness trained just wanted to know if it was different in spinning!
    The 140 bpm guideline (which was made up in the first place) was gotten rid of in February of 1994! I can't believe that info is still floating around in various certs (okay, I can, but it ticks me off).

The current ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) guidelines do not make reference to HR, but specify using common sense and not exercising to breathlessness or exhaustion.

There's more to the ACOG guidelines than the above, but just to give a general idea. Basically, pregnant women are not ill or incapacitated and barring complications, exercise is safe and in fact recommended.
    Jennifer K. (Glyco-Jen)
    Ph.D., Exercise Physiology
    CT, USA

I think pregnant women also need to be mindful of their elevated body temperature.
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on television. I can shed some light on this subject.

Most women wanting to bear children become pregnant. Pregnancy usually can last nine months. At the end of the pregnancy, one of 2 genders will be born, male or female. Every year, the child will be one year older. I usually recommend maternity clothing for pregnant women.

I'm glad I can share these controversial thoughts on this subject.

As far as Spinning, as long as the person has been cleared by the OBGYN, you should not even get involved. Asking, guessing, advising is a little reckless, other than, How're you doing?
    AC - Due to extreme high call volume, you may experience delays.

megale3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
    As well as suggest to skip the 'jumps'
    Do it anyway!

I had a thought that was told to me by a doc in that as labor draws near a certain glad secretes a hormone that causes the joints to be come flexable for the opening of the cervix to allow passage of baby. This leaves a chance for damaged caused by high impact stress so again be careful Caroline and congratulations -did you find out it was a boy or girl? I am sure we can send AC down there to figure that out on the birthday Also using any names from the pedal oners is strictly prohibited -we had an out break of childern being called "Pro" ,"Leg" and "Elvis" many paternity suits were filed and needless to say no child support was given but what a mess and again all moms and babies are doing fine. Woops feeding time -Pictures later
    Best
    Meg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast