Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need your opinions!

Default Need your opinions!

I teach at the Y and have all YMCA certifications. I want to bridge out and teach at other clubs. Most clubs won't take Y certs. I need to be group fitness certified from an "outside" source. I have some ideas about what I want to do next, but wanted to get your opinions about your certifications. I'm just looking into group fitness right now. Thanks in advance.

I guess you have to be a veteren around here to get a reply.

No, not at all. Sorry you haven't gotten any replies. I was going to say that ACE and AFAA are both respected certs. Also ACSM, but that's more advanced. I don't know about some of the others, such as NASM, in terms of respect, since I'm out of the "what clubs want" loop.

HTH,
    Jennifer K. (Glyco-Jen)
    Ph.D., Exercise Physiology
    CT, USA

Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't feeling apart of the club. You know the last one picked for kickball. The manager at the club had mentioned AFAA. I just needed some different thoughts on the whole process.

At least you picked me for your team! Play Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jsejt
    I guess you have to be a veteren around here to get a reply.
    Shannon, so sorry you were made to feel unwelcomed. I didn't respond because you specifically asked about group fitness certifications and I'm a one-trick-pony. Mad Dogg Spinning is all I know.

But, hey, wanna talk recipes -- I'm your girl.
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

I once asked about personal training certifications. Here's a link. Maybe there's something in here that you may find helpful (again, not group fitness)

http://www.pedal-on.com/showthread.p...highlight=afaa
    “euphoric fitness – a state where every fiber of your being is awake, aware, alive but within it all, you find calm."

Quote Originally Posted by Pink
    Shannon, so sorry you were made to feel unwelcomed. I didn't respond because you specifically asked about group fitness certifications and I'm a one-trick-pony. Mad Dogg Spinning is all I know.

But, hey, wanna talk recipes -- I'm your girl.
    Thanks Pink!

topdoll Guest

I know what you feel like. Sometimes I feel like an outsider trying to get into this group as well. Perhaps it is because I didn't officially introduce myself or something, I don't know. I love reading this forum but I do understand.

Don't get me wrong, there have been times that I have posted and gotten replies, but I have not been able to strike a dialogue with anybody (except Cheeze, we talked a bit).

I agree with Jennifer, ACE and AFAA are the most well known of the group X certifications.

Quote Originally Posted by topdoll
    Don't get me wrong, there have been times that I have posted and gotten replies, but I have not been able to strike a dialogue with anybody (except Cheeze, we talked a bit).
    Hey Top, the more you post and let us get to know you, the more you'll find yourself engaged in discussion (or just silliness....be careful what you wish for! )

I think it's just a matter of having everyone get to know you. Fresh blood is good - it keeps the inbreeding around here to a minimum.
    Jennifer K. (Glyco-Jen)
    Ph.D., Exercise Physiology
    CT, USA

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JFK
    Fresh blood is good - it keeps the inbreeding around here to a minimum.
    Yeah, I have no idea what to do with this third ear...

But, seriously, I, too, remember how it felt to be the new kid (I've been posting for less than a year). It does take a while. But thanks for reminding me to be a little more in tuned to newbies.

ahall Guest

Shannon ~
    Hi! I am both Keiser and Mad Dogg Certified for Spinning. That is all I teach. You will find that each gym requires different things. You might want to do a search on this forum I know there are many links that talk about this same issue that many people like myself and other new people have raised in the past. Just go to the Search feature and look there ~ (Good place to get some interesting information that you are seeking).

I just started branching out and received a pilates certification through AFAA. I'm don't feel that I'm too qualified beyond cycling to talk about other fitness programs. Sorry to say.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. You'll find yourself either posting all day and then taking breaks!!! You'll see . . . you get consumed!

Good Luck and welcome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast