Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Julz

Default Julz

Has anyone ever been to a workshop or training by Julz Arney? I went to two of her sessions in Chicago at IDEA fitness fusion and was very impressed. I'm LeMond certified but am considering doing a Schwinn/Nautilus workshop now. I left there feeling like I'm the worst instructor on the planet. OK, I'm not really because I don't do anything stupid, but she was so inspiring and I'm so quiet... anyway, just curious if anyone had gone to anything with her.

Check out her website....

http://www.julianearney.com/about.html

She was a guest speaker at a conference I attended in 2003. She was very motivational.
    "All you touch and all you see is what your life will ever be." ~Pink Floyd~

megale3 Guest

Default Great stuff!

I would definitely take the Schwinn/Natilus Cert it brings in so much to your tool box and will lift you to a new level of coaching. Have you taken any from Jay Blahnik, Rob Glick? They are great trainers as well and have taught me loads. Have fun and throw in as many certifications as you can of differing types of indoor formats they all have something to give.... even if it is a bad example LOL just kidding
    Megale

kdods Guest

I have to agree - I highly recommend Schwinn as well. I took a class by her at Atlanta Mania and was also very impressed! Have you taken Mindy Mylrea? She is also awesome and part of the Schwinn team. I always feel like a "bad" instructor afterwards also, so I know what you mean!!

Lexington, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I've heard from several people that Schwinn/Nautilus is Johnny G. under a different name and with a different hand position. Master Instructor Betty Simmons told us at our Continuing Ed in November that soon, Schwinn would cease to have a certification.

Any truths here?

Patrick
    -FiTour Master Trainer. www.fitour.com
    -Owner & Creator- Y:ki www.ykionline.com
    -Subaru-University of Kentucky Cycling Team: President

-University of Arizona, Fitness Graduate Assistant
    My triathlon coaching blog:
    www,beyondwildky.blogspot,com

megale3 Guest

Hey Patrick,
    You will not see Schwinn or Nautilus going away it is a continually growing program that has its roots from the Precision Cycling Program and still is thriving with CE and orientations at places like IDEA and Sara City here in the US. It expands itself with programs that are enlisted for larger chains of gyms and is tailored to meet the demand for their educational needs. Over seas Schwinn is thriving as well with a different team heading up its program responsibilities. It is one sound program that continues to keep pace with this ever changing fitness industry. As far as the program being JG in disguise they are only simular do to the fact that we are riding a stationary bike and the science of riding one for fitness. Both really good programs both will be around a long time.
    Oh yah and Schwinn does not have dedicated hand possitions.
    Meg

Lexington, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by pedaler
    I would have to say that Betty's comments regarding Schwinn/Nautilus should've been kept to herself and were in very poor taste. Spreading rumors does not reflect well on MDA and the spinning program in general.

I am in complete agreement with Meg that they are both really good programs that will stand the test of time.
    I guarantee her intention was never to spread rumors. She had just finished commenting on the quality of the program, but mentioned that as far as she knew they would cease to offer a certification. She isn't the kind to do such a thing.

Patrick
    -FiTour Master Trainer. www.fitour.com
    -Owner & Creator- Y:ki www.ykionline.com
    -Subaru-University of Kentucky Cycling Team: President

-University of Arizona, Fitness Graduate Assistant
    My triathlon coaching blog:
    www,beyondwildky.blogspot,com

Schwinn, and their certification have a lot of big names behind them in the industry... I doubt that they will go away any time soon.

Alex
    "All you touch and all you see is what your life will ever be." ~Pink Floyd~

Default Schwinn & MD Certified

I'm both of the above, and neither is going anywhere.

Schwinn certification continues as well as their continuing ed classes, which are more localized. As mentioned in a previous post, I attended all the Schwinn cycle workshops at DCAC when it was held in Richmond back in February.

I've also just completed my MD certification training which was great! Both these certs are the top two in the industry, although many people also have Cycle Reebok which too, is highly regarded. They all have pretty much the same philosophy but it is just applied a little differently in each program.

Hand positions are pretty much the same in Schwinn and MD, MD, just defines hand position 2 a little more.

Competition between programs is good as we, instructors, only get to benefit from extended education and each program striving to prepare you to be the best that you can be - you just have to put in the time, energy and emotion.
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify

10. Default

You really think both will persist? Take a sober look at the companies behind the respective programs.

megale3 Guest

You saying the sky is falling there Leg? Is indoor cycling actually a fad? I am not seeing the demise of the big two. So enlighten this guy! Someone hand me another beer sorry couldn't resist
    Meg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast