Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Road cycling: My first BIG fall...ouch!

snowbunny Guest

Default Road cycling: My first BIG fall...ouch!

Anyone else have a fall on their bike? Here's what happened to me last week>>

To my embarrassment, yes...I had my first big fall on my road bike. Last week I was riding with a group of 11. It was a great ride!....until I ate the pavement. The rider in front of me did not signal he was slowing down, and decided to turn back to check on his wife. Well, needless to say, he was in my line, and I couldn't do anything but hit the brakes, try to unclip fast...but well...I ended up clipping the back tire and he stayed up and I went down. (It all happened so fast! ). So, as the story goes.... here I am on the pavement...saying "crap!", then I stood up and looked at my bike. It was ok. Yes, bikers DO CHECK THEIR BIKES FIRST>>ha,ha!
    Then, I doctored up my ouches. Right elbow, and right area below kneecap. It could have been worse. So after the cleanup...we continued the ride. (One male commented, wow...you're pretty tough!)...Minus a tear in my TREK jacket, and some cosmetic damage to my bike, the ouches......the ride was GREAT! I think the worst thing was when I got home:
    1. Confronting my husband, who told me to be careful. However, I started off the conversation of how supportive I had been when he fell....that helped alot!!
    2. Now this did bite!! Having to clean out the ouches to ensure no rocks, etc. were in the area. YIKES!!!
    This was the absolutely the worst!!!! But I didn't want infection, etc., so this is part of the deal.

Now, if that wasn't enough....I had to teach the next morning. Talk about being stiff. Actually, moving my leg seemed to help with the stiffness. I am still recovering, not back at 100%...but getting there. I am still riding and teaching....haven't missed a day. (But just a little slower at the moment.) It just takes time to recover and get back.

So now I have my trophies to show everyone,...until they heal....ha,ha.

One friend told me: There are those who have fallen....and there are those "yet" to fall.

My fall could have been worse, and I am thankful it wasn't. Talk about a reality check!!!!

So, all you road and mountain bikers....tell me your story....I know there are some out there!!
    Last edited by snowbunny; 05-02-2006 at 07:56 AM.

megale3 Guest

Default If you ride you will fall

Glad you are OK!
    Hit a parked car, Slid on gravel, had a guy- like you- grab a whole bunch of breaks, too close to curb, and the big one ....forgot to unclip when stoped and not a good track stander at that point OUCH Hang in there and keep the joints moving. Megale

Last year... great ride... had great fun on a trail near my house... then on my way home, back on my street a telephone pole jumped out in front of me.... seriously...

All I remember is thinking "but, I'm on smooth pavement!?" I didn't get hurt too badly but made me realize that mud is a lot softer...

Alex
    "All you touch and all you see is what your life will ever be." ~Pink Floyd~

megale3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alexkaboom
    Last year... great ride... had great fun on a trail near my house... then on my way home, back on my street a telephone pole jumped out in front of me.... seriously...

All I remember is thinking "but, I'm on smooth pavement!?" I didn't get hurt too badly but made me realize that mud is a lot softer...

Alex
    So Alexkaboom went "kaboom"?

Quote Originally Posted by megale3
    So Alexkaboom went "kaboom"?
    LOL... indeed.

Alex

I once fell on freshly painted road lines. So not only did I have a nice case of road rash, I had road paint on me and my bike (I think that's called adding insult to injury).

I also got blown over on Mt. Washington last year. No injuries, but boy was I stunned for a minute or two there...
    Jennifer K. (Glyco-Jen)
    Ph.D., Exercise Physiology
    CT, USA

It was the combination of really strong winds and going r-e-a-l-l-y slowly on a switchback. It's not something I'd worry about anywhere else.
    Jennifer K. (Glyco-Jen)
    Ph.D., Exercise Physiology
    CT, USA

ahhh.... switchbacks.... lovely!

Riding on Route 1, various stoplights. I was riding into a "GREEN" light when a little grey haired lady (coming toward me) decided to turn left and beat me. Locked up the breaks, rear wheel came up, and over the bars I went. No major scratches, just a few visits to the chiropractor to get myself realigned.

SO here's the funny one. Was out riding with the boyfriend of 4 months. He decided to take a turn to get a few extra miles in. Once he caught back up to me, he came up on alongside of me and scared the @#$%^ out of me and I fell off. Tore the Pearl Izumi shorts, broke a shoe and ripped a glove. Cost him quite a bit to replace the items, and he did happily knowing it was his fault.

My only road rash fall was racing in a Crit at the Woody Creek Raceway in Aspen, just after a light rain. OOOUUUUUCCCCHHHH!!!!

I always tell any knew rider (with cleats especially) you will fall, get it in your mind that it IS going to happen, just go with it when you go.

lorimulichak Guest

My first BIG fall was no fun either . I was racing in Cleveland, there was a crash up ahead of me, I swerved to get out of the path of the guy on the asphalt and cut it too hard. Not only did I get asphalt burns (I have the scars on my elbows and knees to this day, I also herniated a disk....and years later ended up having a laminectomy. I am still trying to recover from the laminectomy (three years post-op).

I also caught an edge of a ski once and tumbled down the mountain tearing ligaments and cartilege in my knee, and had to have knee surgery to repair all that. At this point, I try to keep my feet planted firmly on the ground these days. I am getting too old for that orthopedic surgery stuff. Thank goodness the SPIN bikes are stationary and parked safely in the gym!

11. Default I started a whole thread about my fall...

Here's a little cut & paste from a previous thread regarding my fall:

I was on a flat, riding 2nd among 7 riders and I went down for no decernible reason. It would almost be better if I had a reason -- hole, gravel, car, whatever. I was unconscious, seizing, blood running down the side of the road. I was ambulanced to a parking lot and then medi-vaced to the hospital. 3 days in the hospital, came home, back for 2 separate operations. Occupational therapy for 8 months (discharged last month). I have NO memory of anything. In fact, I've very little memory of the entire month of July (head trauma, I am sure my helmet saved my life).

And might I add, I almost didn't want to open this thread but I'm glad I did. It does a gal good to look at falls in a light-hearted manner. But I want us all to be SAFE and injury-free.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast