Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a very disheartening article...

Lexington, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.

Default Found a very disheartening article...

http://www.latina.com/latina/latinal...=newgymclasses

Read the part titled, "Ride-In Movie." While the article is a review of a "ride-in movie"-style IC class, I do not appreciate the parallels made between this class format and ALL IC classes. This kind of publicity is less than ideal for the attendance of our classes, you know?

I look forward to hearing everyone else's take on the article. And, if you're wondering how I found this article (being that it is from Latina magazine, my friend was reading it at school and in the actual magazine it has a picture of a girl on a Spin bike, so that caught my eye.

Patrick
    -FiTour Master Trainer. www.fitour.com
    -Owner & Creator- Y:ki www.ykionline.com
    -Subaru-University of Kentucky Cycling Team: President

-University of Arizona, Fitness Graduate Assistant
    My triathlon coaching blog:
    www,beyondwildky.blogspot,com

Patrick, here you go again getting defensive. I see your point, it is not a good article as far as publicity goes for IC classes in general, but, I think most folks would see thru the dismissive tone, and also see that it describes a particular style of class, my thoughts would (I hope) be, 'well Drive In sounds a bit dodgy, but how does is compare with Spinning/other IC classes at my gym?'
    If someone asks you about it, you would easily shoot down the objections, without a thought and we are the front line educators, people listen to us, plus you can prove your classes & by extension other CI classes have nothing in common with that except a stationary bike, let them take a class.
    Besides since when was finding Nemo a cycling movie?
    Now an article in this months Triathlete magazine annoyed me...I may write in, to put the record straight.

I don't need to battle this from a magazine article, I have to battle this from people taking IC classes in all the gyms surrounding my house. It is a constant job to spread the word (yes, and defend my passion) and discredit those teaching these kinds of classes. I just vow that I will teach the best classes I can, from profiles designed with purpose, coached safely and passionately.

At least the author of the article lets us know up-front that he's not a fan of biking. So, as BritSpin suggests, we know there's a bias. With that said, I guess it's also good that this didn't appear in Newsweek or Fitness.

My honest take on the article?One word-hilarious!More calories had to be burned getting the bikes into the theatre than spinning,sorry,riding to Finding Nemo.(I can't imagine you'd burn many,but I haven't actually seen it )

But seriously,it sounds like my "induction" into the saddle-sore world of indoor cycling and I think I'm ok.I can agree with that feeling the first time of doing those damn jumps,I still can't do them when I ride a non-JG class! As for not liking David Lee Roth's voice yelling out "Jump"?whatsupwiththat? One of the greatest tracks of all time.
    Just my 2 cents.

Patrick you are indeed passionate about Spinning and defending it's good name, so I applaud you for your zeal here! It is so unfortunate that the trademark name is lumped into conversation and description of ridiculous classes taught around the country. Crunch Gyms are notorious for the weird classes , y'all remember the cycling class a few years ago that involved stripping I think? Or was it an S &M class .
    I feel for you guys in the big cities with the Crunch gyms around you, trying to keep the Spinning program safe and sound and when folks hear that you teach Spinning they think it's like a class at Crunch! Bless your hearts .
    "If Ida seed youa comin Ida knowed what to do, Ida riz both arms and wove at you" ……….Ernest T Bass

Kelly

S & M class, now you're talking, I love those little chocolate beans, oh no wait, ow, no, owww.

Quote Originally Posted by kszspin
    , y'all remember the cycling class a few years ago that involved stripping I think? Or was it an S &M class .
    I feel for you guys in the big cities .
    I'm really curious about this one.Could you enlighten those of us still awake over here in the UK who don't know anything about Spin 'n' Strip in which big cities...I won't be able to get to sleep until you tell me,please.

Ps.I read Kelly's post first,Keith just happened to reply before me!

Why, oh why do I even bother .

You're both very very bad! (there ya go for your 'one word, one phrase', for that type class).
    "If Ida seed youa comin Ida knowed what to do, Ida riz both arms and wove at you" ……….Ernest T Bass

Kelly

Huh? No,seriously.I'm curious who in their right mind would come up with a spin class where you strip? The continuity/flow would be non-existent.All the effort to achieve a reasonable working heart rate would be wasted (or would it potentially go too high?) I get the feeling that sometimes my questions are taken with a pinch of salt around here.

I really am not seeing any ambiguity in stripping, or S&M, and yes we are both bad, bad boys.

Apart from the M&M error..honestly genuine mishtake.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast