Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cadence Counting help please

1. Default

I'm such a idiot with computers.........sorry!

the rest of my statement

They like to count, as during a longer steady state or time trial effort it takes their mind off what they are doing.

Later in the class I will have them count the pedal strokes on the opposite leg, as some find the right leg is stronger the left.

bikerchick2 Guest

Hi Pink,
    I used this method on Friday and it worked well for me. One question, what is the count for sprints? Is 27 the most they should have in 15 seconds?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pink
    15 second counts:

Climbs 60-80 rpm = 15-20
    Run/flats 80-110 = 20-27

At least these are MDA guidelines.

aeroft Guest

Default Match the cadence

I usually do only 2 cadence checks per class because it can be boring to do more than this. One on a hill and the other one on a seated flat, but what I usually do is have the class follow the downbeat of the music I am playing or follow the downstroke of my right leg. usually if a song is 128 BPM that all you have to do is divide 128 by half and that is your RPM.

bikerchick2:

I'll jump in and offer my answer to your question about cadence with sprints.
    First, I do not do "sprints" for long enough to count cadence, and we are doing them with pretty high resistance so they are not going to be exceeding 110 anyway. Beacuse I begin them on a flat to start, then have them build to heavy resistance over 10-15 seconds, enough resistance to make them want/need to stand in HP3, then take 5-10 seconds up there to build cadence to overcome that heavy load, then sit down for 5-10 seconds holding that speed. SO....they aren't flying the pedals around for sure, so a cadence ck is not necessary.
    I also do sprints on a hill (seated or standing), but again we are on mod-heavy resistance and I cue an increase of say up to 80rpm. If I would happen to eyeball cadences over 80 or 85 whill sprinting on the hill, then I would ask them to build a little more resistance.
    "If Ida seed youa comin Ida knowed what to do, Ida riz both arms and wove at you" ……….Ernest T Bass

Kelly

caro7372 Guest

Thumbs up

Why not use the MixMeister BPM Analyzer wich is free to download !!

Robert

bikerchick2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kszspin
    bikerchick2:

I'll jump in and offer my answer to your question about cadence with sprints.
    First, I do not do "sprints" for long enough to count cadence, and we are doing them with pretty high resistance so they are not going to be exceeding 110 anyway. Beacuse I begin them on a flat to start, then have them build to heavy resistance over 10-15 seconds, enough resistance to make them want/need to stand in HP3, then take 5-10 seconds up there to build cadence to overcome that heavy load, then sit down for 5-10 seconds holding that speed. SO....they aren't flying the pedals around for sure, so a cadence ck is not necessary.
    I also do sprints on a hill (seated or standing), but again we are on mod-heavy resistance and I cue an increase of say up to 80rpm. If I would happen to eyeball cadences over 80 or 85 whill sprinting on the hill, then I would ask them to build a little more resistance.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for this suggestion. I have been using it since you posted. GREAT idea. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12