Thread: How does the M3i calculate calories?

1. Default How does the M3i calculate calories?

I have been using a Waters Fitness Tsunami Elite for about 6 years, along with outdoor biking. They are very close on miles in the time I ride, and calories and watts.

This new M3i is way off compared to the two mentioned above.

46 Minute Spin with a set of DVD's I use.

Waters
    47 minutes
    650-750 calories burned
    10.5 miles covered

M3i
    47 minutes
    409 calories burned
    14 mile covered.

The Waters Fitness is much closer to my real-world outdoor workouts. The M3i watts are much lower at the same resistance.

Why would there be this much difference?

Thanks in advance!

Keiser's power output......and therefore Calorie burn......is estimated (as opposed to direct measurement from a strain gauge). It depends tremendously on how well calibrated the bike is and in a group exercise class it's possible to have Keiser bike vary this much one to another.

The "mileage" isn't. It's a feature that records the number of pedal strokes and is primarily a maintenance tool. A reading of 1=200 pedal strokes, not 1 mile.

FWIW, the "Flywheel" franchise has apparently had to publicly revise the power output on their bikes as they were seriously way off (guess in which direction) So folk who believed they were burning upwards of 600-700 Cals per 45 minute class have suddenly found they were in reality much closer to 300Cals. Far more realistic.

Try searching through the archives here. We've thrashed this out quite a bit in the past.......trying to equate what, say, a 500Cal burn per hour class (usually the favourite number) would equate to on the Real World. Some Calorie readouts, if true, would put you in serious contention on the pro circuit......IF

4. Default

Thanks guys. I know it's all relative, and will be recording it with the M3i going forward. More for my reference to keep me on track.

5. Default

Should I be using the Keiser M Series App or the Keiser Metrics app?

6. Default

I use the M Series App.