Thread: Spin profiles

1. Default Spin profiles

Hi,

I'm a relatively new spin instructor, and I have a question.

The classes that I teach have some people that have never taken a spinning class before, while I have others that are pros at spinning. When I make my class profiles, I always try to keep this in mind. The issue that I am having is, even though I tell the classes to work at their pace and Heart Rate/Energy zones, the new spinners find it hard, and if I tone it down a bit, my pros get bored.

I'm finding it difficult to come up with class profiles that will be engaging, and try not to repeat the same profiles more that once or twice a month. I teach 3 days a week. This can become quite cumbersome.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break up the monotony, and work at different levels to keep all students engaged? I've tried looking at some profiles here, but it is marked private, and I can't access it.

Just looking for ideas....

Thanks

2. Default

I also forgot to mention that you have to post at least 5 times before Things Are not marked private. Also try keeping your same ride profile skills/drills and changing the music periodically to help keep your profiles fresh without having to rework them completely all the time.

3. Default

When I see that there are new people in class I go up to them and talk to them to find out their experience level before class. Then I let them know that they should work at their own pace and not try to keep up with the rest of the class until they have more experience. During class I frequently tell the class that if they need to take breaks or do something different they are more than welcome to. Sometimes people have injuries or illnesses that don't allow them to work at 100%. I find that if you write the profile to be challenging than those who can't keep up will take it easier if you give them permission. This allows those that can handle it to work harder. Just keep queing to listen to their body and take breaks as needed if there isn't a recovery when they need one.

4. Default

Thanks, I do keep telling the newcomers to work their own pace during the class. I am constantly telling them about the energy zones, but I swear, some of them are just stubborn, and don't want to look weak or out of shape. That's why I was inquiring about a happy medium. Also, thanks for the information about needing to post 5 times. Much appreciated!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Trigurl View Post
    Thanks, I do keep telling the newcomers to work their own pace during the class. I am constantly telling them about the energy zones, but I swear, some of them are just stubborn, and don't want to look weak or out of shape. That's why I was inquiring about a happy medium. Also, thanks for the information about needing to post 5 times. Much appreciated!
    At a recent conference, Josh Taylor recommended teaching to the more experienced riders, while letting everyone know that recovery is always an option.
    Truth is, we don't always know what our riders are up to, their training outside of our classes, their injuries. So these modifications that we offer are not necessarily just for fitness newbies.
    As to keeping up...I laugh when riders use that terminology, because there really is no keeping up on bikes that go nowhere! We all end up in the same place You can encourage them by telling them why what they are doing at that moment is valuable.