Thread: Is RPM killing the freestyle industry

Default Is RPM killing the freestyle industry

Seriously I spend hours crafting my classes taking all things into consideration. Now the facility has introduced LM RPM, a class in a can for instructors. The customers love it, mine and the other 'freestyle' instructor numbers are going down in favour of RPM, then you have the pictures on facebook, and the constant fawing of instructors on 'how hard everyone worked' etc. Is anyone else up against this - is quitting the answer, or is there a way to 'fight back' in a non conflicting way. The owner of the centre is not helping tbf with the constant bigging up of all things RPM! Any thoughts appreciated

Firstly, I do not believe that RPM is taking over the world. It's been out for several years, and us free-stylers are still around and teaching.

Is there room on the schedule for the two to co-exist or are the 'free-style' classes being taken off the schedule?

With 'canned' classes, they are liked because participants know what to expect. Same format for all classes just an interchange of tracks.

Have you experienced a class?

I'm not a fan. I did the training and for me, it just did not jive. The club I was at then, had both types of classes co-exist and it worked. Others may go all LM.
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify

RPM is on quarterly release #72. So it's been around 18 years. I'd bet anything there are still way more "freestyle" cycle classes held every day than RPM.
    I'm certified in Group Ride, the Mossa (former BTS) equivalent of RPM, and currently teach its 30-minute cycle class, R30. From my perspective, R30 and "freestyle" classes serve somewhat different groups of participants. The "freestyle" classes attract those who are looking for a "party on the bike" from instructors who can use whatever songs the participants like. R30 attracts those who appreciate how it is structured to give them an effective workout in 30 minutes. I've see preformatted and "freestyle" classes exist side-by-side for years at several facilities.

4. Default

I don't know anyone in my area teaching RPM at all. All I can say is that most riders I encounter love variety with music and rides that have a different purpose and structure every time. Guess the upside would be that all the guesswork is taken out of what the instructor might do with regard to music or workout-everyone's on the same page. Seems like the Starbucks of Indoor Cycling-you always know what you're getting. Something to be said for that. Why not find another place to teach that the riders appreciate the time and attention you give your rides?