Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letting go of handle bars

Default Letting go of handle bars

Why do people let go of the handle bars when they are in position 2?? It's like they are trying to prove they don't need to! As an instructor, that totally bothers me!! Help on how to handle these people??
    Last edited by Missy; 09-17-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Omg this drives me crazy! I always say something like “if you value your front teeth, please keep both hands on the bars at all times...” I’m afraid they’re going to slip and bang their mouth on the handlebars!

3. Default

It's happened while I'm subbing, and I address it since an injury could actually occur on my watch and I could be held liable. I first cue the room, both hands on the bars while standing. If you need to take your hands off the bars for a posture break, sit down. Come back up when you're ready. If the person continues to ride with one or no hands standing up (yes, this happened!) I'll go over and off the mic tell them to stop. Sitting in the saddle without holding on doesn't bother me as much, they could just need a break-or they don't know how to attend to efforts lasting longer than a 3 minute radio edit.

So, here's where you and me are different, kicker.....if, despite all my cues about the reasons for keeping in touch with the handlebars, some Libertarian decides that they want to *show me* and do the "Look, ma....no hands" position, I have no qualms about giving out cues and analogies that make them look and feel foolish......and even decide to leave the class. Yes, it's happened. Discussed it with other class members at the time (and I never gossip about folk who leave early)......purely because I anticipated a complaint to "management" and wanted objective feedback to present.

Everyone needs a break. Booty break. Posture break. Focus break......my take is that an IDC class is no place to be practising unicycle skills.

Vivienne

Quote Originally Posted by apriln View Post
    Omg this drives me crazy! I always say something like “if you value your front teeth, please keep both hands on the bars at all times...” I’m afraid they’re going to slip and bang their mouth on the handlebars!
    So, you want to put us dentists out of business?? Shame on YOU

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    So, here's where you and me are different, kicker.....if, despite all my cues about the reasons for keeping in touch with the handlebars, some Libertarian decides that they want to *show me* and do the "Look, ma....no hands" position, I have no qualms about giving out cues and analogies that make them look and feel foolish......and even decide to leave the class. Yes, it's happened. Discussed it with other class members at the time (and I never gossip about folk who leave early)......purely because I anticipated a complaint to "management" and wanted objective feedback to present.

Everyone needs a break. Booty break. Posture break. Focus break......my take is that an IDC class is no place to be practising unicycle skills.

Vivienne
    I have a feeling that your skills in dealing with this far surpass mine. While subbing a group I barely see, I let more go, and keep things extra dumbed down-I mean simple. Not so much education. Shut up, be present and ride safe. And I remind them of what that means...No behavior that could cause an immediate injury because guess who has to stay and deal with the aftermath...um no, not interested. So I say THAT a bit snarkily to the room-it’s something the libertarian can actually understand. I am curious as to what you say to the grinders and bucking broncos, and generally too much resistance that I haven’t thought of yet. I do have a couple of those that haven’t been reached...

Quote Originally Posted by kickerjoy View Post
    I am curious as to what you say to the grinders and bucking broncos, and generally too much resistance that I haven’t thought of yet. I do have a couple of those that haven’t been reached...

You look like an idiot.

Yes, Srsly!

I protect(ed) myself, gym management....and also save other class members from such nitwittery. After multiple efforts a kosher cuing, I decided to make it quite clear. I reckon I've had no more than 3 or 4 members got off their bikes and walk out of class....to the relief of everyone.

Vivienne

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post

You look like an idiot.

Yes, Srsly!

I protect(ed) myself, gym management....and also save other class members from such nitwittery. After multiple efforts a kosher cuing, I decided to make it quite clear. I reckon I've had no more than 3 or 4 members got off their bikes and walk out of class....to the relief of everyone.

Vivienne
    AMAZING! Just. AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by kickerjoy View Post
    AMAZING! Just. AMAZING!
    I should qualify this by saying that I've never tried to make a class member look foolish (some don't need my help) and also I've had the luxury of working at gyms where management always had my back......and where I didn't need to teach. IDC instruction was my avocation......and not something that paid the bills etc.

Not tremendously different from when I had my dental practice. I wouldn't have been able to support a non-working spouse and provide for fancy living for a family with, say, 3 kids.....all at private school etc. etc. (my husband reckoned I ran the office like a Finishing School) Sometimes you can afford to do what's *right*.......and sometimes you can't.

So, kicker, I'm reminiscing here (bear with me).......one of the take home messages from my dental school days (early 1970s .....yikes!!!) was from one of my professors who stated that we shouldn't be worried about pissing off our patients with good advice. Well, he didn't quite phrase it that way (he should've!) and he also had a tenured faculty position with a gua-RON-teed paycheck no matter how many folk he pissed off. But still....

You don't have to be *everyone's* fave IDC instructor/dentist/physician/lawyer etc. etc.......you just have to do what you *know* is right (and stay current on information about being *right*) It's actually not that hard in the fitness world because there are so many folk who're DOIN' IT 'RONG......but the trials come because the 'RONGSTERS tend to be the most popular (Soul Cycle??1?) Back when I first moved up to the Boston environs from LI, I taught at a small gym where, suddenly, there was an instructor who taught *advanced* classes. I asked for feedback from the front desk/personal training/random dudes (NOT IDC)......general concensus ...."He's bat-shit crazy, Viv"...... "We try to steer folk to your classes"....."You know too much"......"You're old and no-one wants to be like you". Check three out of four.

See what I mean??

Your posts always make me laugh. You reminded me of a recent incident. The club where I teach cycle got new Keiser bikes recently and each instructor was asked to give a demo ride. There was one young woman who insisted on riding with no hands even after I explained the reasons not to. She then had the audacity to ask another instructor about riding with no hands while I was standing right there! I was flabbergasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast