Results 1 to 11 of 18

Thread: Letting go of handle bars

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Letting go of handle bars

    Why do people let go of the handle bars when they are in position 2?? It's like they are trying to prove they don't need to! As an instructor, that totally bothers me!! Help on how to handle these people??
    Last edited by Missy; 09-17-2016 at 10:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    North Wilkesboro, NC
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Omg this drives me crazy! I always say something like “if you value your front teeth, please keep both hands on the bars at all times...” I’m afraid they’re going to slip and bang their mouth on the handlebars!

  3. Default

    It's happened while I'm subbing, and I address it since an injury could actually occur on my watch and I could be held liable. I first cue the room, both hands on the bars while standing. If you need to take your hands off the bars for a posture break, sit down. Come back up when you're ready. If the person continues to ride with one or no hands standing up (yes, this happened!) I'll go over and off the mic tell them to stop. Sitting in the saddle without holding on doesn't bother me as much, they could just need a break-or they don't know how to attend to efforts lasting longer than a 3 minute radio edit.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    So, here's where you and me are different, kicker.....if, despite all my cues about the reasons for keeping in touch with the handlebars, some Libertarian decides that they want to *show me* and do the "Look, ma....no hands" position, I have no qualms about giving out cues and analogies that make them look and feel foolish......and even decide to leave the class. Yes, it's happened. Discussed it with other class members at the time (and I never gossip about folk who leave early)......purely because I anticipated a complaint to "management" and wanted objective feedback to present.

    Everyone needs a break. Booty break. Posture break. Focus break......my take is that an IDC class is no place to be practising unicycle skills.

    Vivienne

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    So, here's where you and me are different, kicker.....if, despite all my cues about the reasons for keeping in touch with the handlebars, some Libertarian decides that they want to *show me* and do the "Look, ma....no hands" position, I have no qualms about giving out cues and analogies that make them look and feel foolish......and even decide to leave the class. Yes, it's happened. Discussed it with other class members at the time (and I never gossip about folk who leave early)......purely because I anticipated a complaint to "management" and wanted objective feedback to present.

    Everyone needs a break. Booty break. Posture break. Focus break......my take is that an IDC class is no place to be practising unicycle skills.

    Vivienne
    I have a feeling that your skills in dealing with this far surpass mine. While subbing a group I barely see, I let more go, and keep things extra dumbed down-I mean simple. Not so much education. Shut up, be present and ride safe. And I remind them of what that means...No behavior that could cause an immediate injury because guess who has to stay and deal with the aftermath...um no, not interested. So I say THAT a bit snarkily to the room-it’s something the libertarian can actually understand. I am curious as to what you say to the grinders and bucking broncos, and generally too much resistance that I haven’t thought of yet. I do have a couple of those that haven’t been reached...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kickerjoy View Post
    I am curious as to what you say to the grinders and bucking broncos, and generally too much resistance that I haven’t thought of yet. I do have a couple of those that haven’t been reached...

    You look like an idiot.


    Yes, Srsly!

    I protect(ed) myself, gym management....and also save other class members from such nitwittery. After multiple efforts a kosher cuing, I decided to make it quite clear. I reckon I've had no more than 3 or 4 members got off their bikes and walk out of class....to the relief of everyone.

    Vivienne

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by apriln View Post
    Omg this drives me crazy! I always say something like “if you value your front teeth, please keep both hands on the bars at all times...” I’m afraid they’re going to slip and bang their mouth on the handlebars!
    So, you want to put us dentists out of business?? Shame on YOU

  8. Default

    merely to play devils advocate and in no way condoning it, but, the saying goes 'if you don't do it out doors don't do it indoors'. I am that person that will sit up and cycle outdoors no handed. I am fully aware of the risks and my own ability, i wouldn't promote it in any way, but its less dangerous on a stionary bike than a moving bike.

    I also realise that there's real relevance to my post to help the argument. There are a lot worse practices out there than sitting up on the sale for a few seconds here and there.

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_tri View Post
    merely to play devils advocate and in no way condoning it, but, the saying goes 'if you don't do it out doors don't do it indoors'. I am that person that will sit up and cycle outdoors no handed. I am fully aware of the risks and my own ability, i wouldn't promote it in any way, but its less dangerous on a stionary bike than a moving bike.

    I also realise that there's real relevance to my post to help the argument. There are a lot worse practices out there than sitting up on the sale for a few seconds here and there.
    I don’t think any of us are referring to sitting up and taking a posture break with hands off the bars if needed. Can’t eqsilymfqll off an indoor bike while recovering like that. Issue is more riding with hands behind the back to “engage the core”, or riding with one or both hands off the bars while standing up. Things like that. Although I once saw a biker riding down Prospect Parks bigger hill...with his hands behind his back. Full cycling kit, clipped in, fancy road bike and all. My heart was in my mouth watching him...hoping he arrived alive.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kickerjoy View Post
    Although I once saw a biker riding down Prospect Parks bigger hill...with his hands behind his back. Full cycling kit, clipped in, fancy road bike and all. My heart was in my mouth watching him...hoping he arrived alive.
    Last Summer, I posted a photo on my FB page of a rider coming down Lookout Mountain.....full cycling kit etc. etc.....but, no helmet and earbuds in.

    Everyone in the car was passing various opinions. Me, I reckoned it was a Good Thing. We need more organ donors

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_tri View Post
    merely to play devils advocate and in no way condoning it, but, the saying goes 'if you don't do it out doors don't do it indoors'. I am that person that will sit up and cycle outdoors no handed. I am fully aware of the risks and my own ability, i wouldn't promote it in any way, but its less dangerous on a stionary bike than a moving bike.

    I also realise that there's real relevance to my post to help the argument. There are a lot worse practices out there than sitting up on the sale for a few seconds here and there.
    Appreciate the Devil's Advocacy......but in the context of this thread, it's an honkin' big Straw Man argument.

    I've frequently sat up in a class to demo a concept or move. I've frequently gotten off the bike to connect with riders/adjust the AC etc. I've also demonstrated the *Look Ma.....no hands* position (hands behind the back whilst grinding in a *hard* seated climb....to *engage the core/look like a tool?*) So, I'll ask......if you wouldn't do this as an instructor (with knowledge and insight into what can happen if a casual member tried this and came off badly), would you condone it for everyone elsein your class?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •