Thread: First 70.3

1. Default First 70.3

Well this is it, in an hour I'll try and go to sleep in order to get up at 4.30 in order to get up for my first half ironman distance triathlon. It's not been the easiest of training with a combination of illness, injury, time, conplacency and motivation. So from 7 am tomorrow I shall be donning the wet suit to enter river Thames to start the swim leg.

2. Default

For anybody interested i completed it, not an amazing time but i did get a puncture half way around the cycle which was frustrating. 36min swim, 3hr 8 cycle (with changing a tyre) and 1hr 40 run. Felt pretty strong and comfortable without setting the world fire, so kind of reflects the amount of trying i put in, i already knew i could/should have done more. Legs today are a bit heavy a little achy as to be expected, what i wasn't prepared for was huge blisters on my feet, thats never been an issue before. Only thing to do is sign up for next year and be fitter, stronger and beat my time. No desire for a full iron yet.

Obviously i agreed to cover a spin class this eve and take a boot camp!

Well done YOU!!

Sorry I missed this when you first posted. Blisters suck.....but at least you earned them. I have some blisters that're there because I wore some strappy sandels without practising ahead.

4. Default

Cheers

Maybe I should have ran in sandels, was quite in vogue a few years back. I am still flying the flag for the barefooted, although five fingers are very impractical for triathlons so I had to get (almost) normal runners. Aches and pains I'm used to, the blisters caught me well off guard. Got to have battle scars though

Congrats!! I posted yesterday asking how you did but I must have deleted it by mistake. Is this your first tri ever or just your first HIM? As far as the blisters go - now that you know they happen, maybe put band-aids on before so your sneakers won't rub or try different socks (or did you even bother with socks?).

The forum on Slowtwitch.com usually has people with all kinds of advice if you can wade through the snark.

6. Default

Hi cheers.

No its not my first tri (although my first river swim) i have done a few but it was my first Half Iron distance. I don't usually get blisters to be fair, and definitely not to this magnitude. I fully intended to wear socks which i don't on olympic or sprint distance, but got caught up with the race day mind set and transitions and thought id chance it. Think it was a combination of the longer run, mostly trail running so uneven hard surface and maybe not tightening up the elastic laces enough. I used to run in vibrams and never had any toe bruising blisters or anything, but found them impractical for T2 so i have some Altra One squared zero drop trainers now. These are the lightest trainers I've ever had, but I have started getting slight blackening of my right nail and seems to be blistering also.

I have lurked through a few forums on race day tactics etc, what forums i couldn't say, i just google a question and read through a few. If i wasn't hobbling in some way no one would believe i did it would they, got to have some war wounds to show off!

7. Default

Thought i'd update this, I've now entered my first full ironman distance so from 70.4 to 140.3 (miles)

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_tri View Post
    Thought i'd update this, I've now entered my first full ironman distance so from 70.4 to 140.3 (miles)
    Which one?
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

9. Default

Outlaw, Nottingham, Uk.

Its not official Ironman, but one of the most popular events apparently. I think because its flat

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_tri View Post
    Outlaw, Nottingham, Uk.

Its not official Ironman, but one of the most popular events apparently. I think because its flat
    Flat is nice…as long as the winds are manageable. Every flat course I have done has had winds to contend with. Aero position is mandatory…get comfortable with it.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter