Thread: new instructor

1. Default new instructor

hi everyone,

I've recently started teaching indoor cycling/spin still not sure of the difference. I'm using fitmixpro to make my playlists for a couple of reasons on i don't have a licence to use my own music so this is my way around this, 2, I'm a bit of a music snob so want to keep my music and work music separate. my issue is though it's costing me more to make play lists than i get paid. has anyone any cheaper solutions or sites to get exercise mix ready music that has the licence included like fit mix?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_tri View Post
    ........my issue is though it's costing me more to make play lists than i get paid.
    Same here......after more than 10 years of teaching. My husband will surely attest!!

Even when I was teaching regular 8-10 classes a week, when it came around to tax time he'd ask if I was supposed to be making money on this enterprise.

My response......"We don't have to pay for Lipitor/Glucophage etc. etc."

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    Same here......after more than 10 years of teaching. My husband will surely attest!!

Even when I was teaching regular 8-10 classes a week, when it came around to tax time he'd ask if I was supposed to be making money on this enterprise.

My response......"We don't have to pay for Lipitor/Glucophage etc. etc."

I'm guessing the trick is to build up a repatoire and selective repetition especially if signed up to a few gyms

Quote Originally Posted by dreaded_tri View Post
    I'm guessing the trick is to build up a repatoire and selective repetition especially if signed up to a few gyms
    Best case scenario.......6 classes a week at 3 different gyms and at different times each one. Two playlists/profiles will set you up and ALSO PAY THEIR WAY!!

Exercise ready music is going to cost; no matter the source. Plus, it seems like "fitmixpro" is all based on BPMs which can be helpful but doesn't always meet the needs of the profile. Most of us on here over the years, have spent thousands on tracks from all manner of sources, and much of it for the love of the game. We have built extensive libraries of music to be able to fit profiles as needed. If you look back at old posts, some of us quite OCD in our categorization, me being one.

Maybe subscribing to something like Spotify for $10 per month which gives you access to everything, plus allows you to create and play the music in your classes.

Just my 2c.
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify

6. Default

i am finding fitmixpro has its pro's (no pun intended) and cons. as i teach at one place that doesn't have RPM or watt monsters on the bike i use the music as subliminal pace setting, so using BPM is a very useful tool. but with it being mixed the playlists are very routine specific. also as i say i am a bit of a music snob, so i like having a source of music specific for exercise then i have to find diamonds in the rough if you were and get to keep my personal music separate from 'work'.

I'm not sure how other design workout, and I'm not saying I'm correct like i say I'll be 11 classes in by next week in the space of 2 month, but whats working for me now is to devise a routine with timing the work the music in after. this is working for me at the moment. getting a bit frustrating though as some centres have 50min classes and others 45, so this is a bit of a con with fitmixpro as i can't just do a bit of selective editing.

what other sites are available for exercise class specific music?

7. Default

I'm registered on 2 covers lists at the moment, purposely not applying to too many as i know what will happen i will go from having nothing one week to about 15 the next. so I'm just trying to break my self in gently.

what is annoying is one has 45 minute classes, the other 50 minute with the odd 40 minute!

8. Default

Great post!

9. Default

great post