Thread: Maximum Heart rate Calculation

1. Default Maximum Heart rate Calculation

This seems like a simple question with an obvious answer, but when I researched it to find some fact to support my answer to a student, I was unable to find it. Last week after a challenging power class, a student told me that she is struggling with the power meters, RPMs, MHR. She is 57 years old and says that her goal with every class is to maintain the MHR she had when she was 30 figuring if she can keep up with what she did then, she is doing well. She told me her usual MHR is 175!! I questioned her RPMs and she says she tries to keep them around 60. In class I suggest an eventual goal of loose power number close to body weight and she said she is unable to get there. I was really shocked at her MHR as well as RPMs and don't see anyway she can truly be producing those numbers. She is NOT a rider who digs in and really tries - she spends most of the class in an upright position with hands folded neatly in front of her on the handlebars - no effort into sprinting and no apparent effort at climbing. How she can get MHR to 175 is truly beyond me - and RPMs at 60???? Come on now! I am tempted to jump off my bike mid-ride to peek at her monitor but that wouldn't be nice now, would it?!? Anyway, in looking at the heartrate chart, the only place a heartrate in the 170s shows up is in your 30's at all out effort. Again, she is 57 and her MHR should be much lower (even re-calculating using resting heart rate, assuming a high level of fitness, etc., her numbers just don't add up based on what she's telling me). I tried researching just why we use age in calculating MHR in order to tell her why she needs to really add more tension to lower her HR to what it should be based on her age, and I couldn't find anything. So, why is her thinking wrong that she should continue to strive for the same HR she had in her 30s thinking she is maintaining her level of fitness into her 50s if she can still do the same MHR? Just because we are getting older ....???

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scooteroo View Post
    This seems like a simple question with an obvious answer, but when I researched it to find some fact to support my answer to a student, I was unable to find it. Last week after a challenging power class, a student told me that she is struggling with the power meters, RPMs, MHR. She is 57 years old and says that her goal with every class is to maintain the MHR she had when she was 30 figuring if she can keep up with what she did then, she is doing well. She told me her usual MHR is 175!! I questioned her RPMs and she says she tries to keep them around 60. In class I suggest an eventual goal of loose power number close to body weight and she said she is unable to get there. I was really shocked at her MHR as well as RPMs and don't see anyway she can truly be producing those numbers. She is NOT a rider who digs in and really tries - she spends most of the class in an upright position with hands folded neatly in front of her on the handlebars - no effort into sprinting and no apparent effort at climbing. How she can get MHR to 175 is truly beyond me - and RPMs at 60???? Come on now! I am tempted to jump off my bike mid-ride to peek at her monitor but that wouldn't be nice now, would it?!? Anyway, in looking at the heartrate chart, the only place a heartrate in the 170s shows up is in your 30's at all out effort. Again, she is 57 and her MHR should be much lower (even re-calculating using resting heart rate, assuming a high level of fitness, etc., her numbers just don't add up based on what she's telling me). I tried researching just why we use age in calculating MHR in order to tell her why she needs to really add more tension to lower her HR to what it should be based on her age, and I couldn't find anything. So, why is her thinking wrong that she should continue to strive for the same HR she had in her 30s thinking she is maintaining her level of fitness into her 50s if she can still do the same MHR? Just because we are getting older ....???
    It sounds like you have a whole lot of stuff happening with this participant:
    • 57 year old female
    • 'claims' usual maximum heart rate 175
    • tends to maintain 60rpm
    • unable to maintain 1 watt per pound of body weight

As we get older, the ability of the heart muscle to respond to electrical impulse diminishes. This affects its ability to beat fast. I doubt anyone has figured out a way to predict it for an individual. They seem to be able do it for a large group with some degree of statistical accuracy (you know, sort of the within 5%, 19 out of 20 times type stuff).

MHR
    There is only one way to determine maximum heart rate - keep working harder until the heart rate doesn't increase anymore.

There can be undesirable consequences by doing that. So some brilliant (marketing) people came up with some formula to predict MHR based on age. Oh, modify it to for gender differences. Then modify it again for resting HR (because that might be a proxy for how fit you are). I am waiting for the modification that takes into account the size of the solar flares on the sun (resulting in changes in the magnetism that affects the planet and our bodies).

I doubt that if she is reaching 175bpm, that she is reaching her maximum heart rate. Not from the way you describe riding. Could she be reaching 175bpm? Maybe. Or maybe the equipment is faulty (heart rate, device that is recording the signal from the heart rate strap) or there is interference from another heart rate strap/monitor.

Or maybe everything is accurate and she is maintaining 175bpm. How is her breathing? How does she feel? I think that counts more than what the number is (provided there is not any underlying medical condition).

RPM
    60 rpm would be the lowest recommended for most people. Does she look like that is what she is doing when she is riding? You can watch her pedalling and match her cadence to see. I would not suggest that she lower her RPM any more just so that the HR goes down. I would encourage her to try increasing her RPM. That likely would increase her heart rate, but as long as she feels comfortable and is breathing fine…

Power
    How accurate are your power meters? Has she tried other bikes with the same result? It takes a lot of strength to generate power at lower RPM. If she were to increase the RPM, she might be able to increase the power. Of course, higher RPM would lead to a higher…
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Heart rate does not predict effort. I'm on va-cay at the moment but give me a day or two and I'll get back to you with explanations and links that answer your question very well (short of giving you a full tutorial on cardiovascular physiology).....most of which, BTW , are going to refer you to threads on this very forum since this is just about one of the most FAQ after "how can I access the profiles"

CycleGuy ....or anyone else....if you have the time could you look for an old is thread on Max HR formula. The one I'm thinking of has a link to a whole group of Max HR formulae....each one purported to be *the* most accurate and with about a 20-30 bm difference. I'm struggling to answer with my cell phone and it's just too much trouble

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    CycleGuy ....or anyone else....if you have the time could you look for an old is thread on Max HR formula. The one I'm thinking of has a link to a whole group of Max HR formulae....each one purported to be *the* most accurate and with about a 20-30 bm difference. I'm struggling to answer with my cell phone and it's just too much trouble
    This might be what you are referring to Vivienne. Post #13 from Melboney has a link to a research paper; Post #14, by you, has a link to a maxhr calculator.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    Search key word "Maximum HR"

"Age Predicted Formula??" is a good thread.

Yep...that's the one.