Thread: Help! Fitness facility has taken a new direction.

Default Help! Fitness facility has taken a new direction.

Hi!

Has anyone had their gym decide to change the format of all group exercise classes, to a everything is choreographed/music selection is picked, including group cycling? Well enter the Cleveland downtown Ymca. The new format is Mossa. Has anyone heard of this company?

We we get one new playlist/ride every 4-12 weeks. We stick to this class, never swaying from it. Needless to say, we took the two day 10 hour a day training this past weekend. Emotionally drained, physically beat up and super sad that this is what has been chosen without ever holding a staff meeting to speak about changes with the group ex instructors.

My my take is well, the ride was okay. Rpm's were pretty high for my standards, (60-80 hill, 80-110 flat/speed work parameters I was trained on) I will go above or under sometimes. I'm just super annoyed is all, and I want to know if anyone has heard of this. Thank you.

erin

This might be something the Y is doing generally not just your facility as there was quite a to-do about it on my FB page.

Basically Mossa (.Body Training Systems as was) mirrors LesMills...BodyPump, RPM etc. In fact they were all Les Mills but separated a few years back. Main difference is Mossa uses Power mix type music.

Most folk were pretty ticked off about it happening in one sweep, no consultation etcetc. It'd be a deal breaker for me , I think.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    This might be something the Y is doing generally not just your facility as there was quite a to-do about it on my FB page.

Basically Mossa (.Body Training Systems as was) mirrors LesMills...BodyPump, RPM etc. In fact they were all Les Mills but separated a few years back. Main difference is Mossa uses Power mix type music.

Most folk were pretty ticked off about it happening in one sweep, no consultation etcetc. It'd be a deal breaker for me , I think.
    I am not sure (I am Canadian, for one reason), but I recall hearing in October that Y-USA had signed an agreement with a fitness brand/program to be the recommended group fitness program for Ys in the U.S. At the time I was told this, the official announcement was a couple of weeks away so I was not privy to the who or what that program was.

All YMCAs (in Canada and in the U.S.) are independent legal entities. The YMCA movement is a federated movement. Y-USA (as Y Canada in Canada) does not 'sit' on top as a governing body, but acts on behalf of the federation to provide guidance and recommendations. Individual Ys have the choice to opt in or not on a number of program areas. This group fitness program is one such area.

I suspect that this agreement is part of a desire for a standardization of group fitness among Ys.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Thanks forr the clarification .....I sort of knew that (prolly thanks to something you posted in the past)....but it struck me as an odd coincidence that the question was raised so soon after I read a whole slew of comments on this very issue .

FWIW, a lone MOSSA advocate insisted the format was *more functional* and easier for instructors to learn (???) Not sure that makes up for the *AS MADE FAMOUS BY...* thing......but maybe that's just me.

So,

our indoor cycling instructors took a two day, 10 hours each day, training this past weekend. Wow, let me tell you how many of us at the end of it all has a similar batch of questions. Number one being "how is this considered higher quality than Johnny G's Maddog training?" So much marketing. So many rules. They recommend always having the lights on. And let me just say we all disliked having to play the same playlist/ride for the next 4-12 weeks. I understand there are many different forms of choreographed group ex classes, where the music is sort of just in the background. But I thought that was part of the joy of building a cycling class. Building your own outline, playlist, etc. that builds your followers. I feel this whole thing is a little insulting to good instructors, and I can actually see this part (group cycling) failing.

Our facility gave our instructors no forewarning. We were told we had to take this training and be ready to launch it two weeks later. Le sigh. Wish us luck.

I've been teaching BTS/Mossa classes for 7 years and have a love / hate relationship with the company. They have nine different programs of group exercise classes that are each very good, but they cannot meet all the needs of every club. Group Power, the barbell class, has been very successful at the club where I teach. Group Groove, the dance class, has not been able to compete with Zumba and the club no longer offers it. Group Ride, the 60-minute cycling class, was doing well for awhile but, despite being taught by another absolutely excellent instructor, could not compete with the freestyle cycling taught by other instructors at the club. But R30, the 30-minute cycling, is working well especially to attract new participants who are not ready for an hour class. I think R30 is effective because it is designed to be an effective workout in 30 minutes, with a specific purpose for each song.

All the Mossa programs insure a certain consistency among instructors. I've seen at a non-Mossa club a very popular cycle instructor with a distinct style have to leave, and none of several other instructors have been able to draw attendance anywhere near hers. But Group Power instructors have come and gone and attendance remains strong.

Formerly having a full-time job with a large multinational company that attempts to have consistent procedures at all sites, I've experienced how their ideal is not always carried out in practice. It's no different with Mossa. They may want you to have all the lights on, but if your participants want to have them a dimmed somewhat, do it. You're supposed to ride the rhythm sometimes over 120 rpm, but if that's not right for your participants, demonstrate going not quite so fast. And you certainly don't have to teach the same playlist for 12 weeks. In fact, Mossa recommends changing as soon as 3 weeks for cycling classes, sooner than for all the non-cycling programs. Before too long, you will build up a library of back releases, which offer some creativity in creating playlists.

It's unfortunate your instructors weren't consulted about the change, but I hope they can keep an open mind about Mossa, and that your club will continue to offer non-Mossa classes also. Not quite half the classes where I teach are Mossa, and by my experience, it's the same way at other successful clubs.

I'm not a fan of choreographed classes, however, Paul, you make some good points.
    Those being how to be able to keep 'some' of your style within the parameters.

These classes from what I recall are liked by members because they know what to expect. The downside to me is that they know what what to expect so will put in the effort on the things they like and not so much on the ones they don't which to me, kind of defeats the object because I think one ought to challenge the things one is not good at - maybe that's just me.
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify