Thread: Spin safety survey for my school class

1. Default Spin safety survey for my school class

Hi Everyone! I am taking a class on Sports Nutrition and Health and have decided to look into the health benefits of spinning and also health issues related to bicycle safety as far as wearing the appropriate gear when riding. I have decided to focus on health risks posed by not wearing the proper padded shorts when spinning. Severe discomfort, chafing, and saddle sores can all occur if someone cycles enough. I have chosen to focus on this because I have noticed that the majority of indoor cyclist do not wear padded shorts, instead they wear athletic pants. If you could please take this short 8 question survey, it would really help! Thank you in advance!

Please take the survey only if you attend indoor cycling classes.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JSJGVHM
    Last edited by OC_Cycle; 03-08-2016 at 11:24 PM.

Interesting thread. I personally have never worn padded shorts in class! I instruct on avg 15 classes a week and have never had any of these issues. I think every indoor cyclist does hate the saddle the first couple of classes but I teach a lot out of the saddle as my style of teaching is not the typical outside ride brought indoors.

I did the survey. I think one reason folk don't bother with bike shorts is they don't see a need. They're worn primarily for crotch hygiene with a seamless wicking chamois ..I have very few with padding. The value is most obvious at conferences or long workshops with no time to change shorts. Swamp Ass doesn't just feel nasty, it predisposed to saddle sores and yeast infections (all you need is one of these to concentrate the mind) I even use chamois butter for long rides.

There are plenty of decent looking styles and plenty of cheap shorts. As with everything you get what you pay for

4. Default

I took your survey. I also don't wear padded shorts indoors. They are reserved strictly for outdoor rides. I only wear my cycle shorts outdoors.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by xobrittuhox View Post
    I took your survey. I also don't wear padded shorts indoors. They are reserved strictly for outdoor rides. I only wear my cycle shorts outdoors.
    Same here. I save them for long rides outside. I think the GOOD ones are expensive, but worth it...
    Tracy
    Michigan
    STAR3 Certified Spinning Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by tvano1991 View Post
    Same here. I save them for long rides outside. I think the GOOD ones are expensive, but worth it...
    Well, I'd like to say I do enough long rides outdoors to justify saving my bike shorts for them.......but I don't. I have so many bike shorts. Purchased and well looked after for so many years of teaching (and teaching multiple classes a week <<cough, cough>> come to that......just sayin') it'd be a waste of good spandex and wicking chamois.

I also wear bike shoes with the SPD-type clips 'n' cleats (even though I don't use 'em on outside rides) and an HRM and chest strap for pretty much every class (even though I rarely glance at it for guidance.....because we all know that would be a waste, right? RIGHT??)........*speak to me later if you don't understand*.....there's a well worn but not yet threadbare cue!!!

It's all about marketing the product and what you believe to be worthwhile information. Healthy under-carriage, feet and cardiovascular system are quite high on my radar screen

7. Default

Understood...about the undercarriage. Lol! I do use Hoo Ha Ride Glide for class, SPD cleats for my classes and my hybrid (use LOOK on my road bike) and always wear a HRM even though we have the power meters...I've been known to wear my HRM with a dead battery, not that my riders know that.

I only whip out the bike shorts for rides 30+ miles. Just preference. Or maybe stupidity. Only time will tell.
    Tracy
    Michigan
    STAR3 Certified Spinning Instructor