Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Base gear and Range Drill

The thing that annoys the **** out of me is that 'the big guys' always want to brag about doing .. "300-400" watts or more. Or the my average is 278 watts in today's class. That is unrealistic for many .. probably most.

So .. what about picking a reasonable gear and just having a good workout ?

I try not to get hung up on gears or rpm .. but I do use a HRM and I know instantly if I am working hard enough. 'I cannot fake my HR' .. is my motto.

In my mind it is relative to your body weight. I use Watts/Lb (and thank you to this forum for teaching me that it is relative to your body weight), and find that anytime your average watts in a class is more than your body weight, then you did good. Some days I get there .. some days I don't.

I have seen the 120 lb woman getting upset at doing 109 average watts in a class .. when the class bully states I did an average of 285 watts. So .. in my mind, power / gears is great, but also a curse that can lead to hurt feelings, and A LOT of it starts with the instructor. It is all about perspective .. and how they deal with gears and promoting watts.

Just thought I would give you guys things, from a student perspective .. as most here are not students I have found.
    Last edited by edmscan; 03-16-2016 at 01:14 AM.

I'm with you. The few times I've tried to incorporate power in my class, I start out emphasizing that a small woman (and I use myself as an example) is not going to put out the same power as a large man and to keep it in perspective. I've used the body weight ratio as well, saying that if you get there, you've done a good job. Even in terms of gears I use the same explanation. Because we have Keisers people always ask me what gear they should be at. I tell them that I never give a number - for the same reasons.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
    The thing that annoys the **** out of me is that 'the big guys' always want to brag about doing .. "300-400" watts or more. Or the my average is 278 watts in today's class. That is unrealistic for many .. probably most.

So .. what about picking a reasonable gear and just having a good workout ?

I try not to get hung up on gears or rpm .. but I do use a HRM and I know instantly if I am working hard enough. 'I cannot fake my HR' .. is my motto.

In my mind it is relative to your body weight. I use Watts/Lb (and thank you to this forum for teaching me that it is relative to your body weight), and find that anytime your average watts in a class is more than your body weight, then you did good. Some days I get there .. some days I don't.

I have seen the 120 lb woman getting upset at doing 109 average watts in a class .. when the class bully states I did an average of 285 watts. So .. in my mind, power / gears is great, but also a curse that can lead to hurt feelings, and A LOT of it starts with the instructor. It is all about perspective .. and how they deal with gears and promoting watts.

Just thought I would give you guys things, from a student perspective .. as most here are not students I have found.
    Yes, I have seen similar. Even between husband and wife.

Education.

As an instructor, I work to educate my participants. Absolutes mean nothing. It is all relative. All measurements are relative. All measurements are useless unless they are put into some type of context. Heart Rate. Power. Pick number, pick a measurement and that on its own means zip.

I draw on my road riding and compare. You can't fight gravity - well you can, but the person with the better power/weight ratio will do better in that fight.

And if the class bully is going to stand up and brag…well, it may be unprofessional, but I have no issue bringing him down. In. Front. Of. The. Class. Just. Like. He. Bragged. My class doesn't need that type of attitude & I don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaK View Post
    I'm with you. The few times I've tried to incorporate power in my class, I start out emphasizing that a small woman (and I use myself as an example) is not going to put out the same power as a large man and to keep it in perspective. I've used the body weight ratio as well, saying that if you get there, you've done a good job. Even in terms of gears I use the same explanation. Because we have Keisers people always ask me what gear they should be at. I tell them that I never give a number - for the same reasons.
    As nice as having the gear numbers, they are one of the most misused tools on the Keiser bikes. I have seen participants struggle on gear 8 while others wonder when the workout will begin as they ride gear 18.

For power, it goes back to a simple question: who do you want standing on your chest - that small woman in the front row; or that big hulk two rows back? Now imagine what happens when they stand on the pedals…

Gears and power, along with heart rate, are all very personal metrics. I encourage my participants to NOT share.

Form over cadence. Cadence over gear/resistance. Those are the measures I use. Oh, but they don't show on any computer…
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Me....when someone who didn't know any better asked what *gear * they should be in and without regard to my other cues..... I would usually say something like " At 85 to 95 rpm, try 24 and work back until it feels doable "

Quote Originally Posted by CycleGuy View Post
    Education.

As an instructor, I work to educate my participants. Absolutes mean nothing.

I draw on my road riding and compare. You can't fight gravity - well you can, but the person with the better power/weight ratio will do better in that fight.
    And if the class bully is going to stand up and brag…well, it may be unprofessional, but I have no issue bringing him down. In. Front. Of. The. Class. Just. Like. He. Bragged. My class doesn't need that type of attitude & I don't want it.

Gears and power, along with heart rate, are all very personal metrics. I encourage my participants to NOT share.
    I will be going there in 5 min and I hope that no one pushes the **** today. I just want to do my thing and not have some big guy show off. I just feel bad for the smaller people who cannot do that power, they just end up feeling bad about themselves in the end. Myself .. I try to use my HR as a gauge. But I do try to get to a Watts average that matches my weight. But I am over 50 and I can see that I can hold my own against people much younger than me. I will accept that .. even if I am not that powerful .. when it comes to the power output.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    Me....when someone who didn't know any better asked what *gear * they should be in and without regard to my other cues..... I would usually say something like " At 85 to 95 rpm, try 24 and work back until it feels doable "
    I like that .. but I know some that would surely try that.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CycleGuy View Post

Form over cadence. Cadence over gear/resistance. Those are the measures I use. Oh, but they don't show on any computer…
    Loving all the wisdom and insight on this thread!!. Thank you so much for everyone's input!

Interesting that you made this quote!! I had a member come up to me in 'awe' of an instructor who announced her 'kilocalorie' burn from her Keiser bike and asked if any members beat her number!! He was amazed that she outburned everyone else. 😳😡. After picking up my jaw off the floor and gaining my composure, my southern grace caught back up with me and I said, wow, that's interesting! It was not my place to lecture or berate the fellow instructor in front of this member, but I will say that I have been so aggregated by that ever since. In addition to the Kcal calculation being absolutely arbitrary due to factors of weight, gender, age, HR, fitness level not being included, the instructor bike is NOT calibrated properly. Tension is very loose. Of course this will increase the projected wattage and therefore Kcal. I Just can't believe an instructor would do that with relative info. And even if she doesn't understand how the keisers work, ultimately..she was being that bully in the classroom.

Anyways, rant over...just interesting that this happened this week after the discussion here.

7. Default

I always tell my riders that unless you are wearing a fitness monitor, don't pay attention to anything but the RPM on the readout!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123