Thread: Bike Adjustments on Keiser M3 vs M3+

Default Bike Adjustments on Keiser M3 vs M3+

I have just acquired a Keiser M3 for use at home .. but that is the issue. I really wish it was an M3+.

I use the M3+ at my gym .. and am hoping to get a similar fit at home.

So I am looking for suggestions as to how to adjust my bike properly at home due to the fact that the handlebars do not move.

I am 5 ft 9 in btw .. so likely I will be ok.

I am going to take a tape measure to the gym tonight .. to see how it measures up.

I believe the angle at your knee should be 25 degrees and your knees should be right over your pedal center. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

But most of all .. just looking for information as to how to correctly set up the M3 compared to the M3+.

Well, you know what.......maybe you could educate US on how to achieve a good fit.

Back when I taught on the Keiser *folding tray table* bikes, I always wished for a fore-and-aft adjustment for the handlebars. That would've made all the difference in the World.

My goniometer and plumb line would've gotten a workout.......and that's for sure.

3. Default

If you have the M3, there is not much you can do about the fore/aft adjustment. You have the basics for the saddle position. For the handle bar height (which forces the cockpit* distance), I get riders to find something comfortable for them. They don't need to be on the end of the horns for seated work; and when they stand, their body will come forward somewhat so that takes care of the handle bar horns.

I don't use any guidelines for the handlebar height other than comfort. Low back issues - I will compromise and force a long cockpit to raise the handlebars to take pressure off the low back. But that comes with a cost for the upper back, neck as they may be 'stretching' forward to reach the handle bars. If participants have shoulder issues, will drop the handlebars down as low as they can tolerate to reduce the cockpit (stretch).

*cockpit is basically the distance from the saddle to the handlebars. There are very specific points used to measure, for a bike fit, but I think for most of our purposes, it is just the distance. See here for a picture, here for an article on cockpit. Article focuses on Tri-Bike fit, but concept holds for road bikes.
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

A great series of articles from slowtwitch, CycleGuy.......thanks for the link.

Boy, I hate that Keiser geometry with a vengance!!!!

Thanks you .. I am sure that things will work out and I will do some adjusting to see what works. I doubt it will be terribly different than the M3+ at my gym.

Quote Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
    Thanks you .. I am sure that things will work out and I will do some adjusting to see what works. I doubt it will be terribly different than the M3+ at my gym.
    If nothing else, it'll make you appreciate the flexibility you have at the gym. I had the devil of a time when I taught on the plain ole M series.

Well .. I am selling my Keiser M3. I know .. I had it a whole week. The good thing, I will have no problem getting my money back on the sale. Yes, used Keiser's are in demand.

I was at the Keiser dealer today .. and I now know why I was feeling so much different.

The M3 (not M3+) has 4.5 inches more distance from seat to handlebars (cockpit) on the M3 vs the M3i. That is with the handle bars moved right up as close to the seat as possible on the M3i (on the M3 of course the handlebars are fixed), and the seats at the identical position on both models.

That is why it was so uncomfortable for me .. that is a lot of difference and yes there will be an M3i in my future very soon.
    Last edited by edmscan; 01-25-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Sold the M3 and getting the M3i today. Pretty happy .. but really I just wanted an M3+.

I will survive .. and be happy going round and round.
    Last edited by edmscan; 01-30-2016 at 11:08 AM.

Im thinking of purchasing one for my home as well. I agree with cycle guy that its all about comfort when it comes to the handlebars on the m3.

Quote Originally Posted by TheU View Post
    Im thinking of purchasing one for my home as well. I agree with cycle guy that its all about comfort when it comes to the handlebars on the m3.
    Unless you are quite tall then the M3 is not likely going to be a good fit (myself as noted above it was just uncomfortable) and you will want the M3+ or M3i. Great bikes.