Thread: Hip Hop Indoor Cycling Classes

1. Default Hip Hop Indoor Cycling Classes

Yea or Nay?

taught at your location?

in my opinion, silliness.
    ~leaning so far forward your knees are in front of your hips, almost wrapped around the front frame of the bike.
    ~squats on a bike?
    ~pumping your arm forward and backward for an upper body workout
    ~bouncing side to side

yes - it is exciting and somewhat new (in our area). and yes - people are working out vs not.

other opinions?

Sorry thats not what an indoor bike was made for.I dont know what is exciting about this.

Quote Originally Posted by charles View Post
    Sorry thats not what an indoor bike was made for.I dont know what is exciting about this.
    Well, not for nothing (as they say).....I'm willing to wager that it's a bit more *exciting* than I could deliver. I oftentimes have cause to apologise for not being very fun or exciting or entardtaining.....

...butt if'n you get out of bed the next day and have good cause to think about your quads/glutes/hammies (Walk Like a Cowboy?1?)........I'd think that was exciting/fun etc. etc.

4. Default

I just took a class called Revd - though very exciting with a cool atmosphere, it was everything I've been taught not to do on a bike. Push-ups and tricep push-ups and crunches or a combination of all of the above were in every track. The jumps were much too fast, and there was a dumbbell track. I stopped doing the choreography halfway through because my lower back was on fire. I just sat and enjoyed the ride at my own pace

5. Default

Seeing in my club too and seems like it breaks every rule I learned in my certification class and I should "tell" the teacher! But alas, that is them...

This is a touchy subject. In one studio where I teach there was an instructor who did all the wrong things on the bike with weights, standing too long, etc etc - we got friendly enough that I felt comfortable telling him that what he's teaching is not IDC but exercise on a bike and had him come to my class to see what I meant. He didn't like spinning so I asked him why he's teaching it if he didn't like it. Anyway, he's since left and is doing what he does like.

In other instances where I take a class and know that weights are going to be used, I let the instructor know ahead of time that I will be riding through that aspect of the class and in the case of silly jumps, push ups, etc - I just don't do them. I have noticed in my own classes that I occasionally have someone who takes it upon themselves (self?) to do push ups, tap backs, etc. I just ignore them.

Oh, this is such a great topic! I definitely tell my students that if they want to do "tricks", then go for it. But I then explain that I won't teach those options, because those are not things you'd do if you were on a real ride outside. I also mention that it can be unsafe...that usually gets people to stop doing those crazy things.

8. Default

I had someone doing 'push-ups' during a recovery part the other day. I was a little out of breath and flustered, it was only a short semi rec so I said "if you want to do push-up please get off the bike and do it properly." During a full rec I went over explained I wasn't being an arse but he was getting no benefit, his body was in all the wrong position. I didn't say which I should have is if he felt the need to do push-ups he wasn't pushing hard enough. He said other instructors do it, which is fine but I wasn't comfortable with it in my class

Today one of my riders was climbing with her hands behind her back. After class I went over to her and explained why that's not safe (she had just told me she turned 70). She was fine with it and said she just needed to rest her arms. I suggested a safer way to do that. She was also doing push ups during a recovery but you have to pick your battles and the hands behind the back is worse than push ups in my book.