Thread: New rides

1. Default New rides

As a new instructor, I want to keep rides interesting with good music but find it difficult to come up with new music and learning that is so important to class. Where do I go to do this?

Well, my mentor started me off with 4 CDs and *profiles* to go with.....scrawled on paper in his almost illegible chicken scratch.

I looked at it and thought to myself....."Is this what I thought was so great???"

Best lesson I learned was to learn from my own mistakes.......at least 20 miles away from where I hoped to teach. Still learning. My goals are precisely the same as yours......except I'm not a *new* instructor.

3. Default

Thanks Vivienne. I just wish planning a class did not involve so many hours. Had no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Helen View Post
    Thanks Vivienne. I just wish planning a class did not involve so many hours. Had no idea
    It gets quicker and easier with time.....let's face it there aren't too many ways to say pedal fast pedal slow. Truth be told, I've always enjoyed the planning, finding music, learning about training strategies etc.....teaching the actual class is almost secondary to all this

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Helen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    It gets quicker and easier with time.....let's face it there aren't too many ways to say pedal fast pedal slow. Truth be told, I've always enjoyed the planning, finding music, learning about training strategies etc.....teaching the actual class is almost secondary to all this
    Lots of ride profiles here that you can pick up and use to some degree (right up to 100% copy). Take those as a start, as a template, and get comfortable with some of the ideas presented. Once you have built up a library of IC music (look around, there are some great tips on organizing your music), then it won't take long to build a class.

…and once you have a stack of class profiles, changing the music can make the profile 'new' again…

…and once you have a stack of class profiles, with variations, there may be less of a need to create new…

As Vivienne says, "…there aren't too many ways to say pedal fast pedal slow."
    Work and train smart, not hard. But be smart enough to know that sometimes it does take hard work to accomplish your goals.

Follow me on Twitter

Hi Mary Helen - I'm with Vivienne and CycleGuy. No need to overthink it. As you get more experience, the preparation time should become easier. You will develop a better sense of what works well for your personality and teaching/coaching style and what areas that you would like to improve. While I put a lot of time into rides I do for special occasions like the Tour de France, I don't feel it takes me too much time to prepare for my normal weekly classes. Some resources that allow you to see some other instructors are doing are Chris Spins at https://chrispins1.wordpress.com, Lean Lena at http://leanlena.com, and fortherideinside.com.

What aspects of putting the class together are you finding the most challenging? Maybe the forum can offer up some pointers to help you out.

7. Default

hi mary helen, I'm also really new to teaching, by the end of next week i'll be 11 classes in after 2 months of teaching, so by no means take my word as gospel but I'm hoping the that maybe not advice but how someone in a similar situation helps. what i do i have themes, so power, sprint, hills etc, i work out my routine with all the timings, so in a column at the side of the page i have all the times after each interval, section etc. so i know after a for round tabata I'm at 36mins for example. then once I've got my routine i put in music to fit the timings.

also a class i did that i got really positive feedback from was a route recreation from an evening 25mile ride i did. there were hills, up down, rolling hills even a hail storm. i included reference points, mainly pubs but people said they really liked the visualisations. also it opened my mind up to different techniques i could do like rolling hills or increasing/ plateauing hills. so it might seem obvious but get out and ride.

like i say I'm very new too so talk listen to people with experience i hope that being at similar states it might be helpful