Thread: New instructor

Hybrid View

1. Default New instructor

Hello. I'm a new instructor and learning from some great instructors here at the Y one of whom is Dave who directed me here for great help and encouragement. So happy to be a member!

Well hello back...

Have to say that, if you have Dave, you don't need anything here

Of course, just like Santa, it might be the wrong Dave. All Daves aren't equally valid

Haha Vivienne! It's the right Dave. I still learn everyday from this site and others. Soon to retire after 18 years of teaching.
    I directed Mary Helen to PO for more ideas from our wonderful group of instructors.
    Welcome Mary Helen.
    "I Ride What I See"

4. Default

I can tell this will be good for me but wish you were not leaving Dave!

5. Default

Is a ride with 130bpm good or should they vary? Had advice about both.

It depends (no really, it does) I often use multiple tracks in the 128-132 range for the folk who're on the beat pedallers, but oftentimes, even they fall a bit flat. Best plan is to decide on your class make-up first (copy one of Dave's profiles and you won't go wrong) and put the music to it that speaks to you. Maybe try listening to some of the Spotify playlists folk here use. Getting advice and mulitple opinions is all very well, but it doesn't matter how hard you plan and fret and adjust this and that......your first class is always your first class........and if it doesn't suck, don't allow yourself to feel too confident. The Suck will rear it's head at some point.

Like I tell my class members......*Embrace The Suck.......it's your first step to being awesome*. I almost believe myself

I came here looking for one of your profiles because they are my favorite and help me get past profile-block and i see you are retiring! Good for you, but sad for me... where am I going to "steal" the best ideas from now?

Nancy

Hello, you will love this site!!!

Hello! My name is Kara, and Dave directed me to this site. I stumbled upon indoor cycling a few months ago, and have been hooked ever since! I hope to be a certified instructor in the next month!
    Any advice or direction to resources would be appreciated! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kkc View Post
    Hello! My name is Kara, and Dave directed me to this site. I stumbled upon indoor cycling a few months ago, and have been hooked ever since! I hope to be a certified instructor in the next month!
    Any advice or direction to resources would be appreciated! Thank you!
    OMG.....you know Dave?? Fur REELZ??.

My best advice would be to scroll back on this site for a few years....back when Dave and a few others were kickin' it.

Yes! I attend Dave's classes twice a week! I'll definitely reach back to earlier posts and learn what I can!