Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New instructor

1. Default New instructor

Hello. I'm a new instructor and learning from some great instructors here at the Y one of whom is Dave who directed me here for great help and encouragement. So happy to be a member!

Well hello back...

Have to say that, if you have Dave, you don't need anything here

Of course, just like Santa, it might be the wrong Dave. All Daves aren't equally valid

Haha Vivienne! It's the right Dave. I still learn everyday from this site and others. Soon to retire after 18 years of teaching.
    I directed Mary Helen to PO for more ideas from our wonderful group of instructors.
    Welcome Mary Helen.
    "I Ride What I See"

Hello, you will love this site!!!

5. Default

I can tell this will be good for me but wish you were not leaving Dave!

6. Default

Is a ride with 130bpm good or should they vary? Had advice about both.

It depends (no really, it does) I often use multiple tracks in the 128-132 range for the folk who're on the beat pedallers, but oftentimes, even they fall a bit flat. Best plan is to decide on your class make-up first (copy one of Dave's profiles and you won't go wrong) and put the music to it that speaks to you. Maybe try listening to some of the Spotify playlists folk here use. Getting advice and mulitple opinions is all very well, but it doesn't matter how hard you plan and fret and adjust this and that......your first class is always your first class........and if it doesn't suck, don't allow yourself to feel too confident. The Suck will rear it's head at some point.

Like I tell my class members......*Embrace The Suck.......it's your first step to being awesome*. I almost believe myself

So, here's an example. A remix of Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit"......I have a slew of these (but not this one, it transpires) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLhOipOkfhA

What I hear is a rhythm that's at the lower end of what I usually consider my optimal seated climb cadence (so, possibly less than my 128 bpm suggestion) ..... you could "double time" it but this doesn't "speak" to me as a flat road cadence track. See what I mean......if you try to squeeze yourself into a song's bpm, it gives you a very nasty headache.

FWIW.....you're shaping up to be at least as good value as Dave
    Last edited by Vivienne; 12-17-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: more White Rabbit renixes

9. Default

Haha. Don't worry. That confident factor has not struck yet. I will look at the Spotify, thank you. I know how important the right music is especially in our classes.

10. Default

http://www.spinninginprescott.com/

Here are some spinning tunes from a member's site.

I came here looking for one of your profiles because they are my favorite and help me get past profile-block and i see you are retiring! Good for you, but sad for me... where am I going to "steal" the best ideas from now?

Nancy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast