Thread: Cleaning bikes

1. Default Cleaning bikes

Is there any way to ensure people are cleaning their bikes when they are done without saying something directly to one person?

No......but announcements such as *Be a good Girl Scout and leave your place on this Earth better than you found it* usually gets the majority of class members tut-tutting about the once in a blue moon pig and a couple of them fighting with me so they can clean up after the Special Person has left.

FWIW, decent gyms keep a bit of a handle on this and good etiquette seems to act a bit like osmosis. Can't say the same about time-keeping mind.....

Unfortunately no! All one can do is to lead by example. One thing I do say/show to stress the importance of cleaning the bike BEFORE and AFTER each ride is to show them what my disinfecting wipe looks like AFTER I clean the bike prior to starting the class. I also state that you should not rely on the person before you to clean the bike and do you really want to be on a bike that has not been cleaned before you? Then after class, clean the bike so the person after you, if they don't clean the bike themselves, has at least been provided a bike that has been cleaned off. Most will heed your advice, especially when it comes time for flu season.

4. Default

At the gym I work at, one class participant tends to start a trend of handing out wipes during the final stretches. The wipes are passed around kind of like a dish at a family style dinner. Positive peer pressure seems to do the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by laycswms View Post
    At the gym I work at, one class participant tends to start a trend of handing out wipes during the final stretches. The wipes are passed around kind of like a dish at a family style dinner. Positive peer pressure seems to do the trick!
    You lucky dog, YOU!!.

I fancy I've made a rod for my own back, what with giving the folk who want to skiddadle out of IDC to put in a similar effort in, say BodyPump (get your spot nice and early!!!)......and letting them know I'll clean up their bikes if I've run overtime by a few femto seconds.

am going to do this myself!!

6. Default

We help the members take ownership by encouraging them to clean the bikes so they last longer and can continue to spin.

I usually comment about great our bikes are, and we want to keep them it top shape. I leave plenty of time at the end of class so people don't need to rush out.

Nothing more to add beyond what I opined upon upstream