Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: music videos

Cool music videos

One of my members suggested I play the music video while I teach my indoor cycle class...sounds great! But I can't find an app or video download for commercial free music videos anywhere! Can anyone out there help?
    Lori

Good luck trying. When I lived in FL we did videos too but the gym gave my Coord. money to buy vids. If we wanted our own we paid. We gave many suggestions which most were purchased. The only thing I can say against vids is the ppl. tend to watch them thus taking away from their workouts.

Thanks! Much appreciated! Where did you purchase videos from? ITunes? YouTube?
    Lori

I like Virtual Active. Vimeo has some nice quality videos and has lots to download for free. I use iMove to pull clips together, it's a fairly easy program to use. Our riders like to see timers for intervals so I search for green screen timers on youtube and add them to my videos.

thank you soooo much!! this is perfect! I will check into it---if I have any questions---please check back!!
    Lori

what is imove? how do I transfer vimeo clips to it??
    Lori

What are you actually looking for here??? A way to enhance a class...or avoid teaching.

I belong to a Sufferfest group over the Winter. The owner of the bike store that hosts these training sessions has minimal input into any sort of *teaching* (I'm a passenger on the boat with a bunch of cyclocross feinds) beyond making sure that everything works/*valeting* our bikes etc etc. etc ....a big thing, BTW .....but it's not at all about *teaching*, improving one's personal coaching skills or enhancing the health and wellbeing of the general population by virtue of introducing them to the how and why of training etc.

Remember here, BTW....I'm fresh back from a fitness conference where there were folk with knowledge, skill and expertise in their chosen fields.......and often many more.

You can find an online video or purchase a DVD to show you how to do *anything*.....and that's very nice indeed, I guess......and then no-one needs to come to a gym and provide us with a paycheck..

We survey our clients often and almost everyone likes the video component of the class, but the most important part is of course the instructor. I don't think my students would come without me there.

Pros of video (IMHO, 4 years in the making)
    No more watching the timer for intervals...how many left?? How long?? Its all on the screen.
    Can't think of anything to say at the moment? Look at the slide show of motivational quotes and images and expand upon the intended meaning.
    Sprints with the pros.....too much fun!
    Learn the names of the pros, point them out on the screen, get clients to follow cycling, see different riding styles.
    Relaxing recoveries with beautiful images to relax the mind.
    Really imagine yourself out on the road

Cons:
    They take a long time to make
    that's about all I can think of....

What do you mean by "almost everyone likes the video component of the class". Do all the gym's cycle classes have components? Please elucidate.

Sounds like what you want is the extrinsic value so they don't focus on what needs to be done.
    Remember, most of your class doesn't give a hoot about pro cyclists, let alone remembering their names. They are there to get a cardio workout that does not jar their body. They are not outdoor riders.

I'm not against videos, however, they ought to be used to enhance your profile, not create it (per se).
    I think they are very nice on occasion; make it an occasion rather than putting in a video and letting them just watch and pedal - and BTW, they don't work as hard when there is something to distract....

I used to create videos, to support the profile and enhance the music. I don't see it as a con that they take a long time, sure they do, however, it goes back to me saying that it should be an Occasion.

I've done TdF profiles where I pulled images of the area of the profile and used that to conjure up the feeling of heat or rain or cobble stones. You can get inside peoples heads with the use of great words and phrases and I can tell you that they respond.
    Cycle Happy!
    EuroD
    Cycle Instructor Emeritus
    Star 3 Spinning Instructor
    Schwinn Certified Cycle Instructor
    AFAA Primary Certification
    Spotify

I think there are a lot of components to a class: instructor, music, lights, environment-is it too hot?, the bikes, who's riding next to you, what did you have for lunch, did you have a stressful day, etc., all go into making a class experience.

Maybe you are "putting in a video and letting them just watch and pedal", but I assure you my classes are not like that, they are not distracted, and I'm not going to waste any more time defending my style, because if you do it right, video it the way to go. If your riders are not responding, maybe you are choosing the wrong video and images.

I have a lot of outdoor cyclist in class, 75% of riders last night were outdoor riders, some of them Cat 1, coming to my class to get a real experience. They like being in the know.

For those of you interested in video:

Try taking video of you next outdoor ride. For some reason, people love to see the local roads, even though they drive them everyday (I live in Maine so we have some beautiful roads, maybe that's it). It's weird.
    We also video our group rides, they love to see themselves on the big screen!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast