Thread: Warmup

Default Warmup

Just got back from taking a Spinning class at a club in my area where I am not a member or instructor. The first thing the instructor had us do, after giving some safety reminders, was put on light but noticeable resistance, get the legs going something over 100 rpm, take our hands off the handlebars and spend a good three minutes stretching the upper body: shoulders, chest, back, biceps, triceps.
    Without offering my thoughts, I wonder what everyone else thinks about this.

Started off well.....then tanked.

Josh Taylor often had a few minutes sitting up at start of warm up......at an easy "organic pace" where he did the safety reminders and a bit o' the mind-body stuff. Once it was down to business, well ....... it was down to business. FWIW, one of my "safety cues" is that if you need to sit up to give the back a break, pu_LEEZ back of to an easy soft pedal ....... oftentimes to a class where there are indeed folk doing what it is you seem to be describing!

3. Default

In agreement with Vivienne....seems like a waste of time to me for the majority of attendees. Save the stretch for the end of class, unless individuals feel the need for some reason (individual injuries/aches and pains etc.)
    Tracy
    Michigan
    STAR3 Certified Spinning Instructor

Thanks for confirming my opinion that this warmup was a waste of time. In addition, I was worried what might happen if somebody's foot came loose from the pedal while going so fast with no hands on the handlebars. In my 10 years of teaching, twice I've had someone's foot come loose while riding hard, fortunately they were holding on.
    When I took the class, I followed along with the instructors' stretches, but with my legs going at that "easy, organic" pace.
    I took two other instructors' classes at this place and they both did appropriate warmups with little or no stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
    Thanks for confirming my opinion that this warmup was a waste of time. In addition, I was worried what might happen if somebody's foot came loose from the pedal while going so fast with no hands on the handlebars. In my 10 years of teaching, twice I've had someone's foot come loose while riding hard, fortunately they were holding on.
    Well, it's happened in my class when someone wasn't holding on......fortunately quick reflexes so no damage done to anything but pride. You'd think it'd be a learning experience. You'd be wrong!!!

Touching on how I feel about the latecomers......over the past Summer, I've had the sort of "incidents" happen that my safety speech is intended to prevent......providing folk arrive in time to hear it, mind. Like, hopping on the bike without checking the pop-pins.......and taking it in the tuchis when the saddle drops. OUCH! Coming adrift from the pedals while weedwhacking no-handed and continuing to do it. My MO is starting to get a bit more insistent as in, I'll pull the pop pin out of the seat post and demo the saddle dropping.. "Imagine that with bodyweight.......and trust me, no one will be able to keep a straight face!!" True....the couple of times it happened, folk laughed including the blokes it happened to ( I guess to cover embarrassment like you have to when you can't unclip and topple over) When addressing the weedwhacking/no hands ma! issues, I've started to add ".....as "X" so kindly demonstrated".

It must be the way I tell 'em or something because, I swear folk think I'm joking!!!