Thread: RPMs in RPM seem so HIGH!!!

1. Post RPMs in RPM seem so HIGH!!!

There is a great divide in my club over this issue!! Some say go for it at 130 while others caution to no go past 110. Is this an indoor/outdoor rider debate?

2. Default

Spinning max is 110.

I believe most certs say 110 max speed. The Keiser master instructor made a good point about this. She said that the range of 60 to 110 is made because most people will go slower than they should or max out higher than they should. She said its usually a 10% window so going 120 isnt bad but if you said they could go 120 then people might go 135 or higher. Made total sense to me.

My take on the extremes of these pedal speeds is a bit more to do with cadence building drills rather than to give folk a wide choice.

My "flat road" I usually cue 85-95 rpm as a realistic pedal speed. It's achievable by most (injuries etc. excepted) and is a decent balance of physiology and physics of the bike. Keisers are a bit different because those higher cadences don't tend to run away with the pedals even at a lightish resistance but still, there's nothing wrong with trying to emulate what you'd see on, say, the pro peloton. Enough resistance to control the flywheel at anything above 100rpm is going to be very self limiting to the work effort.

My "hills" 65-75 rpm.......good range to shoot for without bogging the legs down with too much resistance.

Hitting those specific prescribed ranges, even if folk don't actually "like" them, is a skill set that is just plain useful (necessary) for any indivdual who wants a superior workout to acquire.

5. Default

When using a power meter, MOST riders find that their max sustainable power is in the 90ish RPM, give or take 10 to either side. So an efficient cadence on a flat (and I am WAY overgeneralizing here) is between 80-100. Obviously that's going to be different on a climb. Some skilled riders can maintain a faster cadence, but much faster than 110 and I don't care who you are; you'd be better off adding a gear and dropping your cadence. Few riders can maintain good control at an appropriate gear at higher cadences.

I had a rider going balls to the walls the other day at prob 130 RPM on a seated flat where I'd coached them to a "big gear" (a little heavier than moderate resistance...slows your legs, but you're able to push through it and maintain momentum.) We don't have cadence meters on our bikes, YET, and I told the riders, "look at your legs, and if you are pedaling faster than me (I was at 90ish) I promise that you are strong enough to handle more resistance. I promise you, you WILL get stronger by adding on, but you will NOT get stronger by simply pedaling uselessly." Everybody looked and adjusted except for the one guy I was talking about. (((rolls eyes)))
    Tracy
    Michigan
    STAR3 Certified Spinning Instructor

6. Default

I go as high as 150 RPM, it's great for quick twitch muscle fiber development.