Thread: NXT Pedal and Crank Issues

1. Unhappy NXT Pedal and Crank Issues

Good Morning All,

I'm wondering if anyone else has had extreme issues with removing pedals and crank arms from NXT models of Spinners. We've had nothing but grief trying to removing these parts, breaking several crank-pulling tools (no, we're actually using the proper tools to do this), bending wrenches, and generally developing a poor attitude on trying to repair these things. I am new to this club and to maintaining indoor cycling equipment, but no stranger to mechanics, industrial and otherwise, but I have never had this much trouble trying to replace a simple part.

A number of years ago, all of our cycles were replaced by Star Trac as there was an obvious mechanical flaw in all our studio bikes; I don't know if it was Star Trac or the company that hired to deliver them or if it was a tech on site that assembled the Spinners, but we're at the point that we are requiring the replacement of crank bearings and pedals, and they are not coming off nicely. we've tried penetrating sprays, repeated tightening and loosening of the puller with no positive results. I don't know if the pedals were over-torqued, or if the tapered shafts are too rough, or if the metals have galvanicly welded, but we are starting to think that torches or other drastic measures are next, and that's not really applicable in a studio setting.

Is there a better (stronger, tougher) crank puller out there that would make this happen, or is there some special trick or action that makes the removal of these parts easier?

Any thoughts this group might have would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be interested in hearing responses to this. Not because I have any issues but you never know....

Truth be told, you may not get a lot of feedback......not because no-one's interested but I don't think too many folk on this forum get into this level of bike mechanics for IDC. I have limited experience of the sort of issues you're describing......which is a good thing on one level, I guess......but it also means that I'm not much help either.

Good Luck!

Vivienne

3. Default

Thanks for the reply. Here's hoping something comes out of this. I will be talking to Star Trac as well today; we'll see what happens.

4. Default

I'm responsible for maintaining our NXTs and have replaced a number of crank arms. I've not had any trouble removing the crank arms on ours, and if you are using the correct tool, it sounds like maybe it is an isolated issue. It is a lengthy process, meaning you have to go slowly to make sure you're not stripping any threads, etc. but other than that it's pretty cut and dry. Here's a good video if you want to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMSbtUI08Ag
    Tracy
    Michigan
    STAR3 Certified Spinning Instructor

5. Default

I just realized this thread is a month old but I'll answer anyway
    frist what kind of nxt 's do you have? I assume they're the older with square tapper bottom brackets spindles.
    If there are you would need the blue handle park tool (if you have anything other than park go and get the park tool)
    When you remove the crank bolt (ether a 14mm or a 6mm Alen) make sure there is no washer left inside, this will for sure
    break the tool.
    Next make sure the treads inside the crank are not bad, if they are there's another tool you need to fix those, you can get from a bike shop. Also clean off all rust, but if it all good and all threads on the tool and the crank are ok then...
    make sure you use a lot of grease (I use park tool green poly lube) that should be on the tip of the tool too, also make sure the tool fits into the crank tightly and smoothly. Tighten and back out if necessary.
    If your threads are beyond repair, you'll need what's called a pickle fork and you can buy it at a auto parts store.

6. Default

A pickle fork or ball joint separator you can get online or at Auto parts store. They come in different sizes so get one that wide enough that fits around the spindle but not too wide it's bigger than the crank.
    The way to use it would be wedge it between the back of crank and the bike, then hit it with a hammer. Make sure the crank bolt is out.
    This will damage the spindle nut and back if the crank arm and may scratch the bike. Or if you try and take off the drive side it will bend the chain wheel. Also the cranks pop right off so be careful and watch your toes.