Thread: Coming your way soon.....

Default Coming your way soon.....

.....or maybe you've already seen it.

http://theantijared.com/2015/05/i-wa...ls-game-2.html

I've received different iterations of this letter on my Facebook feed over the past few days ......with the accompanying comments re-being sensitive as trainers, personal stories of weight loss and fat shaming etc. Unfortunately it's a hoax..... http://www.kmov.com/story/29015621/n...was-fat-shamed.

I usually delete these "please share to raise awareness" memes but I was curious when I received the initial post as to what the Shark Fitness trainer at the center of this "controversy" actually did put on his website.......that's how I stumbled across the admission by blogger Tony Posnaski (still haven't found the Shark Fitness entry.....lost interest after I realised I'd been included in a hoax)

Curious thing, though.......seems that as much as you'd expect folk to be annoyed by a con trick (regardless of motives of the con-artist) they seem to hate being given a Heads-Up!! even more.

Forewarned is forearmed if it comes your way either from social media or actual real live social interaction...

Vivienne

2. Default

Interesting....I did see the original post but did not see the follow up that it was a hoax.
    Tracy
    Michigan
    STAR3 Certified Spinning Instructor

Well, you must admit, it's a compelling narrative......made all the more compelling by the fact that I'm sure anyone who's struggled with their weight would read it and identify. Thing is, you see this sort of stuff so frequently on the Internet that it's almost worth not believing anything you read until you've checked it out. Truth is, I've got better things to do than go around checking out everything I read but sometimes things don't quite smell right......and if it's something I may need to know about, I might invest a few minutes of my time. In this instance, I couldn't quite see how a trainer with a marketing website would deliberately and maliciously try to alienate a potential source of income. Still haven't found out exactly what the Shark Fitness guy actually wrote but I guess it's irrelevant now because *antijared* blogger has increased his readership no end, I imagine.

Disappointing thing is though, that I'm seeing a heck of a lot of posts from fitness professionals jumping quite uncritically onto the denialism bandwagon when it comes to obesity and health (health not fitness) and proclaiming that it's possible to be healthy at any weight.......and that's simply not true.

4. Default

I am overweight...but I will be the first to tell you that being overweight has caused me problems with my knees and feet. I am not blaming it on genetics, BUT, I come from a family with a love of eating and drinking, and until I was in my thirties I was in relative denial that I had an issue. Then I became interested in fitness and nutrition. Life changing. Since then, I've lost a lot of weight, then gained a lot of weight with my babies(I had twins.) I subsequently re-lost it, but as I age, it's harder and harder to maintain a healthy weight, especially as I suffer injuries (vicious cycle, isn't it?) It IS a battle for me, so I did read that article (and others like it with interest...)

"For my weight" I am very fit. I can do a lot of things other people that are 20 pounds overweight cannot do. BUT with that said, I would be ever so much HEALTHIER if I were to lose the weight and maintain the loss. Yes, my cholesterol, blood pressure, resting heart rate, and all the other numbers are good, but as my body ages, every extra pound makes a difference to its infrastructure. I am very honest about this with my students, and I think many of them relate to my struggles. I am always striving to improve...

Interesting conversation, as always.
    Last edited by tvano1991; 05-13-2015 at 06:51 PM.
    Tracy
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by tvano1991 View Post
    "For my weight" I am very fit. I can do a lot of things other people that are 20 pounds overweight cannot do. BUT with that said, I would be ever so much HEALTHIER if I were to lose the weight and maintain the loss. Yes, my cholesterol, blood pressure, resting heart rate, and all the other numbers are good, but as my body ages, every extra pound makes a difference to its infrastructure.
    This is about the most intellegent, educated comment I've read on this topic.....and something that I think a good many other commentators have missed. Excess bodyfat is a toxic organ capable of chruning out all manner of hormones and inflammatory cytokines that cause damage that the "usual numbers" simply don't measure. It's really only the past couple of decades or so that the extent of this has really been noted so it's easy to see why some folk might infer that comments on excess weight are just talking about cosmetics (not that there's anything wrong with being vain, mind......it's driven a lot of my decisions when I was of an age where I didn't think much about my future health) or glom onto any newspaper headline that touts a study that appears to proclaim the opposite.

Here's a well thought out article I stumbled across a while back .. http://calorielab.com/news/2013/10/2...althy-obesity/ (the whole calorielab site is quite interesting)

....and Tracy, I am totally snagging that "difference to the infrastructure" phrase. It's so much snappier than my "departure from healthy homeostasis" (which is something I read and started using years.....actually decades....ago in the context of dental health)

My husband uses a good analogy re: liver function tests and health or disease (usually re: alcohol) Imagine a car with the fuel gauge that's stuck on full. LFTs are like the *empty* light.......you can't keep driving around assuming everything's OK just because it hasn't come on yet.

Always something to take away and use on this forum!!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    This is about the most intellegent, educated comment I've read on this topic.....and something that I think a good many other commentators have missed. Excess bodyfat is a toxic organ capable of chruning out all manner of hormones and inflammatory cytokines that cause damage that the "usual numbers" simply don't measure. It's really only the past couple of decades or so that the extent of this has really been noted so it's easy to see why some folk might infer that comments on excess weight are just talking about cosmetics (not that there's anything wrong with being vain, mind......it's driven a lot of my decisions when I was of an age where I didn't think much about my future health) or glom onto any newspaper headline that touts a study that appears to proclaim the opposite.

Here's a well thought out article I stumbled across a while back .. http://calorielab.com/news/2013/10/2...althy-obesity/ (the whole calorielab site is quite interesting)

GREAT article! Arthritis, yes. Inflammation, yes. I am almost 46, and I KNOW I have to do more resistance training and WAY more stretching than I currently do in order to maintain my cycling (both indoor and outdoor.) Not to mention really paying attention to diet. I tell my regulars that as they age, maintaining a healthy weight is increasingly more about diet/nutrition, and less about exercise. The exercise just keeps them moving.
    Tracy
    Michigan